cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please help me connect

N/A

Please help me connect

Hi,

I've just bought a second-hand laptop and tried to connect it via my router. When I do it says 'you have limited or no connectivity'. As it is going through the same router as this PC I know that this is not true.

I have rebooted the router and both the computers and tested all the conections, still it doesn't work.

I've run a diagnostic and it says:

AutoNet address detected: 169.254.145.41
Automated repair: Renew IP address
Releasing the current IP address
Successfully released the current IP address
Renewing the IP address
Error remewing the IP address: The semaphore timeout period has expired.

Can anyone please help, as you can see I need a reply in easy to understand instructions as I'm no computer boffin.

Thx in advance
3 REPLIES
dhumble
Grafter

Re: Please help me connect

I may be throwing you a red herring but...

I have never seen the 'The semaphore timeout period has expired' error message before so, curiously, I did a search for the term on the web.

If your a MS user, take a look at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/325487/, which does suggest that the problem is with your laptop

David
N/A

Please help me connect

I didn't actually receive an error message. This information was hidden in a diagnostic test.

The laptop actually connected for about 30 seconds, so I know it is possible. I just need to work it out. I had a look at that microsoft page, but got lost about halfway through :?

I'll keep trying, so any help will be gratefully received
Community Veteran

Please help me connect

There'll be more knowledgeable bods here than me to help but it looks like (from the IP address windoze is reporting) that it can't find a DHCP server to get an IP from (i.e. the router) ... so maybe the router is set for fixed IPs and not to use DHCP?
It'll help others help you if you post the operating system and version thereof on the laptop, how you have networking setup on the laptop, how the router is setup, and the make/model of the router. Also is the lan card in the laptop builtin or a pcmcia card, and if the latter what make/model that is too.