cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please help Plusnet - Desperate Customer

N/A

I have reported speed faults many times and you keep closing them.

The best you can offer is that I have a fault on my line. The problem is I have no evidence other than poor broadband and I was told that BT won't come out if I say that (I thought that Plusnet and BT were linked anyway).

I switched to PAYG last week, and instantly I got good speeds. I also got good speeds when Plusnet admitted a fault and started to offer refunds (which I am getting incidentally). If there is a fault on the line, how would switching to PAYG fix it?

Then the day Plusnet announced something about a faulty pipe my speed plummeted to practically zero and its been there ever since.

If this is a line fault then why does my speed vanish when Plusnet has a problem?

How can I report it to BT when I don't know what to report? I do occasionally get poor voice calls but its on a cordless telephone, not the corded one which is clear whichever socket it is plugged into. I have left the cordless unplugged but my internet problems persist so I think its a red herring.

One thing I have noticed is that since the last set of problems my modem (supplied by Plusnet) is syncing at 7.6 or 7.3 in the morning but generally 6.3 in the afternoon. It has NEVER gone below 7.3 before (not even when the speed is poor) so what is different there?

If this is definitely a line fault then PLEASE tell me what to say to BT. On a previous fault I logged PLUSNET said they had escalated to BT and an engineer visit was supposed to be arranged but then they closed the fault without doing it despite me giving my availability as requested. (Question ID: 20999832) Can this be arranged? It is Plusnet who insist its a line problem. I only have their say-so.

Please help! I am paying for broadband, have apparently good voice service but the only option I am being given is to invent a voice fault to get BT to come out. It doesn't matter how many faults I log - you don't reply for days then close them with no resolution.

Moderators note by James (sallyandjames) : Changed thread title from all CAPS, posting threads with all CAPS titles is not allowed. Please read the link:rules
9 REPLIES
N/A

Speed problem

My predicament is similar. I have broadband on a dedicated line, and I am getting speed variations at random throughout the day and night. I raised the question with Plus Net, went through all the routine tests and eventually Plus Net referred the problem to BT three days ago. I have heard nothing more and the problem has, if anything become worse.
As Plus Net is now a wholly owned subsidiary of BT, I would have expected better service.
Terry Walsh
N/A

Not more than ten minutes after my post above, the BT engineer turned up and has confirmed that there is a line fault.

He is still working on it, so I will report back when he has finished.

Terry

Update: According to the engineer the problem was caused by a loose wire in the telephone junction box. He has fixed it and all seems to be well. Hoever he advised me to run for a week to ensure that it is satisfactory, in case there is another fault masked by the one above noted.
T.
N/A

I'm glad you got a result - I hope it works out.

I just want Plusnet to do what they said they would. The fault was escalated to BT, they said that they would arrange an engineer to visit and asked my availability. I posted it to the question which just sat for a few days then got closed without anybody arranging the visit. Subsequent questions all end up with PN referring to a line fault being the probable cause.

But if I go ahead and initiate a visit from BT, if it turns out to be not that then

"This will typically cost between £116.33 to £163.33" according to their website. I have no evidence of a line fault other than PN blaming my poor speeds on one. I feel utterly stuck.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

@justjat

Could you post the results from http://speedtester.bt.com/ please.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
N/A

I am working on it - I am struggling even to load the page at the moment. I tried the Plusnet speed test and it decided to use a file about 100kB and even that hung - it never finished. I have tried the BT speed test just now, it took 5 mins to load the page (with no pictures), put in my phone number, waited ages while it hung and got this message....

"TEST ERROR

Unexpected result received when querying the network to find your services connection details. Please try again shortly, but if this problem persists raise the issue with your service provider."

Incidentally Elvin, I switched from BB Plus to PAYG, instantly got excellent speeds (from 100ishkbps), had a honeymoon period of 2 days, then this happened and it is the worst it has been - down to as little as 16kbps

Cry

I will keep trying the BT test and report back if I get anywhere.

Janet

UPDATE

3 hours later and suddenly the speed is back after days of less than dialup speed, so now the BT speedtester will run happily and gives this...

"Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
IP profile for your line is - 5500 kbps
DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM) 7232 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 4972 kbps

If you wish to discuss these results please contact your ISP."
N/A

Oh no! Its lost it again - results of 7am BT speed test...

" Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
IP profile for your line is - 5500 kbps
DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM) 7360 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 44 kbps

This test was not conclusive and further testing is required.

Please wait whilst you are redirected to undertake a second test.
You now have two choices-

1. If you wish to carry out further tests and you are competent to make changes to your ADSL system configuration, then please click on 'Continue' button.

2. If not, please close the window using 'Exit' button and contact your ISP for further assistance with these results."

Last night it was 4Mbps, now this. PLEASE SOMEBODY HELP!

UPDATE

I carried out the second test, logging in as bt_test_user@plusdsl.net as instructed. It connects to the network fine, but wont do a speed test. I have done this dozens of times now, since my speed problems started in October, and can never carry out the second test. It says contact your ISP, which I have loads of times through the question system but I have never had a response from Plusnet in relation to this problem. Has anybody ever had this working?

UPDATE

All further attempts to run the speed test returned the following error:

"Unexpected result received when querying the network to find your services connection details. Please try again shortly, but if this problem persists raise the issue with your service provider."

Elvin, you asked me to do this, have you any comments?
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 159

Hi,

The speeds your are seeing are erratic to put it mildly, as the IP profile does not appear to be altering this could well be due to the hardware on the line. Hopefully the new router should clarify if this is the problem or not.
After you have tested with this and if the problem still persists we will have to escalate back to BTW and ensure they resolve it for you.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team
N/A

Thanks Chris

I just posted above - I think we were typing at the same time

http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=54700
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 159

I've passed your ticket through to the faults guys with a comment about the speed tests on there. They should get back to you later today.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team