cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please can somebody from Plusnet check this? Thanks

N/A

Questions | ID: 21542390

I just received a replacement modem, thanks. The only thing plugged in my phone line is a new modem (new cables, new filter) in the test socket so no extensions.

My broadband is varying wildly in speed - up to 4Mbps and down to under 100kbps in the space of 10 minutes.

Does a telephone have to be connected to test the line - it would be a good time to do this.

I changed from Broadband Plus to PAYG recently. I still have speed problems but they have changed - the fluctuation is up and down over the course of a day rather than several days, and it does come up to about 4Mbps more frequently so I wonder why the difference if it is a line fault.

Please could this be checked out? My line provider isn't being helpful although I am trying to get them to test the line, and Oftel says that Plusnet can deal with BT direct.

Thanks
28 REPLIES
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 159

I'm going to respond to your ticket now, can we keep all this in one thread if possible?

And you should test without a handset plugged in, simply using the router into the master socket through a filter. No extension leads either.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team
N/A

Thanks - no handset, no extensions - just new filter, new connections, new modem in the test socket and the computer & moden have been rebooted, so hopefully no equipment problems - just the line.

Thanks for this.

Janet
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

No problem, if you haven't heard from the faults team this afternoon give me a nudge and I'll chase them up. I'm here till 4.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team
N/A

Thanks Chris

It looks as if something is happening as some internal replies have appeared on my question and one says that a fault has been raised, so hopefully things can get moving.
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Yep, your fault has been raised to BTW again. It may take 48 hours for them to get back to us, it may be quicker, our logged faults guys will pick it up as soon as we get a reply.
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team
N/A

I just got a reply from the faults team asking me to run yet more speed tests - is this a mistake because there are 2 open questions? I hope so! I have run BT speed tests dozens of times now so surely they don't need any more?
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

It looks like the agent in question simply didn't see the other ticket on your account, apologies for the confusion but your fault is still with BTW and they have not asked for any more speed tests.
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team
N/A

I'd be curious on this one. We phoned in this morning due to not getting any connection and a few hours later emails were sent out telling us we could use a free dial up line.. useful form of communication when you've got no connection!

I went out and bought a new filter just in case and tried it (and also the old one) and got connections but the speed is absolutely dire. We ran some speed tests this evening - for the ones that worked we were as low as dial up - the others we had to abandon the tests on.

No idea if this is plusnet related or BT related. So don't know if our problem might be related to yours or not.
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

@katysodeau

Seems like something odd has happened with the faults checker on your account, I'm getting a problem raised on this for you and also getting someone to gather the fault info again.
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team
N/A

This was the speed results that we obtained. We had to abandon several as they weren't going anywhere. You can see the last proper result was awhile ago but we hadn't hit any real problems until this morning (didn't mean to hijack this post but we were just called)

Date Speed Achieved (kbps)
22-03-2007 19:37:47 55.5
22-03-2007 17:57:23 76.4
22-03-2007 17:55:34 171.5
22-03-2007 17:54:32 261.9
04-09-2006 17:35:27 6610
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Those look like the results from the Plusnet speed tester on the portal - if it is don't bother with it as it is c**p.

The test that gives the best information (if you can get it to run) is http://speedtester.bt.com/
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

It an LLU circuit elvin, so BT speedtests wouldn't work.

I've passed the fault ticket back into the faults team with some extra comments, they should pick this up tomorrow for you.
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team
N/A

Back to the original question -

The last update I had from Plusnet on my question was 2 days ago and just said that it is 'still being investigated'

I did post 'please can you update me' to my question but no reply. Please could somebody let me know what is happening?

My speed is still fluctuating terribly - I had a whole day of between 2 & 4 Mbps on the 22nd, but then I got thrown off and the line wouldn't sync for the rest of the evening on the 23rd, and now I am stuck at 100-200kbps.

Can I have access to the free dialup number while this is ongoing? I need my internet access.
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Looks like BT Wholesale have identified a problem and are trying to resolve it. As soon as we receive an update someone will add it to the ticket on your account.
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team