cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please Help! Netgear Connecting Problems...

N/A

Hello.

After asking on this board what the best router around is at the moment, i was told it was the 'Netgear DG834GT' ..So, i've got one!

I got it off eBay (BRAND NEW) & i got it today.

Now, in the description it states the following:

'This auction is for the above router plus all the original accessories as new. The router is from Sky therefore Netgear have badged it as Sky but there are no other differences. The Router has been upgraded back to the latest Netgear Firmware which includes a "Smart Wizard" to set up your ADSL connection in the user interface'

^^ Now i'm guessing that it works for any ISP & not just Sky Broadband? correct?

Anyways, I installed everything correctly, connected everything correctly, the power, line & everything is lit up green. but now is where my problems begins...

I don't know how the dial up to plusnet? where do i put my username/pass? i don't understand it? I tried to create a connection like i normally do when i wanna connect to the internet through a modem, but it wouldn't dial saying 'no modem found' i had a few goes & decided that i couldn't do it & that i would post up here for help on the matter!

So, Can anyone help me connect using my new Router?

Thanks & Await feedback

Smiley
21 REPLIES
Community Veteran

ok

• Step 1 go through the smart wizard on the router your username should be adsluser@plusdsl.net and your password your normal password.

• Step 2 ensure that internet options is set to "never dial a connection"

• Step 3 enjoy!
N/A

wheres the smart wizard?
N/A

It's it on an installation CD? i only got 1 installation CD, & i've run through all that, that was to connect the modem & installed mcfee (which i didn't install)

Am i missing a disk? or can i download the smartwizard from the netgear website?
Community Veteran

Maybe the router came with a manual or quick start guide or a CD with a pdf manual on?
It might be worth looking at them if so to find out what you need to do, or perhaps http://kbserver.netgear.com/products/DG834GT.asp where an installation guide is available

However if you can't wait then fire up your browser and for the address put:

http://192.168.0.1

I think the default username is "admin" and password is "password"
N/A

thanks. on the following link http://192.168.0.1 <-- it say's 'Page Cannot Be Displayed'

Any ideas?
Community Veteran

Please don;t take this the wrong way but have you connected the router to the ethernet card/port in your PC?

also I am a bit suspicious of the fact that it is an "ex-SKY" device ...
N/A

yes i have. it's brand new, it looks exactly like the Netgear one, it actually says Netgear, rounded rectangle white thing with a white airel
N/A

I'm using my speedtouch atm, do i need to connected with my router when i try that address in the IE address bar?

Sorry.
Community Veteran

oh ok. Need to go back to basics a bit. Dont be sorry -- if you don't know, you don't know, and you're asking in the right place -- there seem to be zillions of netgear users here ... (but I'm not one of them,although i have installed a couple)
First of course you need to make sure that you have TCP/IP networking set up on your computer.
as far as i know the dg834gt is a modem/router -- you don't need the speedtouch, and in fact you can't have the speedtouch connected to your adsl line at the same time as the router.
Disconnect the speedtouch from computer and telephone line, (but first do check out http://kbserver.netgear.com/pdf/dg834gt_install_guide_112904.pdf to make sure that you're clear about how to connect the netgear correctly)
then making sure the netgear's powered up etc try connecting to 192.168.0.1 again
I have to sign off now so hope there will be others to pickup the baton and help you out
N/A

Assuming you have setup your router ie plugged it into the phone and plugged the network card into the router and then into your pc. Goto start and then run type ipconfig /all

You should then see a list of ip address look for one that says default gateway which will probably be 192.168.0.1 what ever it is open IE and put the address int it like so http://192.168.0.1
If it trys to dial choose tools internet option and then connections and set it to never dial.
Your web browser will now ask for a username and password (the defaults are admin and password respectively).
You should then get the home page of the router and there should be a wizard to set it up.

Before you do that go to http://www.adslguide.org.uk/hardware/reviews/2004/q2/netgear-dg834.asp
and print out how to set it up we assume this is the router if it isnt still print it out as all Netgear will be very simliar
N/A

Thankyou.

I'll do that tomorrow, & get back to you, please check back Smiley

PS: It seems that it's not finding my ethernet card? do i actually have one? are they installed by default on motherboards? When searching for Modems it only finds my Speedtouch, even when i try that upgrade firmware on my Netgear. <-- kinda hard to explain.

Anyways i'll try what you've stated above, i get back to you on this post.

Thanks again.
Grff
Grafter

On the back of your netgear, you will have a number of ports (probably labelled 1-4).
Note the size and shape of the connector for these ports and you should have one on the rear of your PC exactly the same. If not, you don't have a network card installed.
If you do, you need to make sure your network card is working properly (you should see it listed in
"Control Panel >> Network Connections").
If it's listed, then connect the supplied cable from the network card on the rear of the PC, into port 1 on the router.
Then if all is well, and your network card is set up correctly, you should be able to access "http://192.168.0.1" in your web browser.
N/A

It doesn't seem to be listed it just has the icon 'make new connection' i'm in the right place? Control Pannel > Netowrk & Dial-Up Connections' ?
N/A

Just checked in 'Device Manager' & it says my Ethernet controller isn't installed.

How do i install it, any drivers about? :s

Would you need to know my Motherboard type? to know what drivers i'd need?