cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Playing media files

N/A

Playing media files

When I first started using DSl I could happily watch a trailer for a movie using windows player or real player, these programs would say that my connection speed was about 330kps which was enough to receive uninterrupted play.
Unfortunately at the present time I am rarely able to watch any type of media file off the intenet without stuttering or stop/start playback.
I have checked my connection speed for download using the plusnet tool and on average it is about 470 kb/sec. And I have also tweaked my connection using Dr TCP as well as checking my speed with DSLreports website which all confirm that my average speed should be adequate.
But after all this I fail to understand why in the past I was able to have good media playback and why now the playback is terrible.
I would very much appreciate any answers or suggestions.
2 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Playing media files

> I would very much appreciate any answers or suggestions.

I understand these type of programs generally cache the streamed media to your hard disc dynamically and the amount of time before the clip starts is dependant on the file size and the connection type. Provided you have the program setup correctly for your connection which you must have if all was okay before (but maybe worth checking the settings have not been changed anyway) you should get smooth viewing.

If your setting are okay I'd check if your Temp internet files folder is full as this could be causing the problem. If its full your computer has to delete something before it can cache more of the file therefore causing a stall. Try emptying this and see if solves it.

N/A

RE: Playing media files

Thanks for the help, you were right deleting the temp folder and thereby increasing space worked a treat!

> > I would very much appreciate any answers or suggestions.
>
> I understand these type of programs generally cache the streamed media to your hard disc dynamically and the amount of time before the clip starts is dependant on the file size and the connection type. Provided you have the program setup correctly for your connection which you must have if all was okay before (but maybe worth checking the settings have not been changed anyway) you should get smooth viewing.
>
> If your setting are okay I'd check if your Temp internet files folder is full as this could be causing the problem. If its full your computer has to delete something before it can cache more of the file therefore causing a stall. Try emptying this and see if solves it.
>
>