cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pipes

vic_newey
Grafter

Pipes

Reading various threads etc. re- conjested pipes and the advice to drop your connection & re-connect in the hope of getting a better connection .

How many users with routers leave it turned on permanently ? Does this then mean that it remains connected to that pipe even if their computer is turned off ? Does this also mean that the faster pipes are detected as full even when they are not so I am diverted to a Redback every time ?
I have tried repeatedly to get on a faster Juniper pipe & only managed it once recently, my USB modem turns off with the computer so I guess I take pot luck each time I connect
10 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Pipes

How many users with routers leave it turned on permanently ? Does this then mean that it remains connected to that pipe even if their computer is turned off ?

Yes, but as no data is being sent down it it makes no real difference whether your router is connected or not as the congestion is cause by data not the number of connections on the pipe.

Does this also mean that the faster pipes are detected as full even when they are not so I am diverted to a Redback every time ?

No, you are allocated a pipe on a round robin basis so you are more likely to get a redback than a juniper because there are more of them - 20 as apposed to 6.

I have tried repeatedly to get on a faster Juniper pipe & only managed it once recently, my USB modem turns off with the computer so I guess I take pot luck each time I connect

Yes your modem will. Note: it is not just the junipers that are fast, most of the pipes will be fine but some will get congested over time. The pipe that is congested may change also as people connect and disconnect. This is how people can get different speeds during the day.
vic_newey
Grafter

Pipes

thanks for that, I just wondered thats all,
the_norris
Grafter

Pipes

Was going to start a new thread. But as this one is on 'pipes'

What has happened to the Bandwidth graphs on the Service status page?

Phil
Community Veteran

Pipes

A spike caused the graph scales to auto-adjust meaning the normal stats cannot be seen properly. It will correct itself within 24 hours (once the spike moves off the graph).

It was probably related to the work done overnight as detailed in the service status messages.

Also see the following ADSLguide thread.
the_norris
Grafter

Pipes

Thats for the reply Peter. Thourght it may be some thing like that. The daily graph will be ok in 24hrs but the weekly one will take a week to fix its self.

Could PlusNet manaully chnage the scale?

Phil
N/A

Pipes

Back to the pipes her for a sec...we know the RedBacks can get heavily congested and the advice is to reconnect.
But what about users in the Huh@plus.net realm? Are they limited to RedBacks only and cannot connect to the super-duper Junipers? Because I've certainly never connected to a Juniper even after something in the region of 40 reconnects in the last few days.
Community Veteran

Pipes

The issues as I understand it is some redbacks can get congested at certain times and which ones get congested will vary, with no set pattern because of the random nature of people disconnecting and reconnecting. It;s only when too many connectons are put onto a redback and the data transfer capacity is exceeded that the problems start to occur.

You don't have to be on a juniper to get a fast connection as most redbacks will not be congested and give good speeds. Not everyone will suffer from or see this problem.
N/A

Pipes

Fair enough, but I've had poor speeds until something like 10pm when it gets less congested. Congestion I can deal with at this time until it's sorted, what I'm wondering is can ?@plus.net realm users connect to the Junipers AT ALL?
Community Veteran

Pipes

People on the @plus.net realm can only connect to the redbacks. The reason for this Ian Wild explained on ADSLguide here (see the previous post on that thread for the Question that Ian answered).
N/A

Pipes

Thanks Peter, that's answered my question and I can now stop relentlessly trying to get on to the promised-land of the Junipers.

Musta missed that one in AdslGuide! Cheesy