cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pings?!

N/A

Pings?!

Ping has just gone sky high, in excess off 100. Not very helpful when your trying to shoot peeps.

Anyone else having this problem? :?

Raised a ticket but i dont think ill get a reply tonight :roll:
15 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Pings?!

Not here just finished a session on freelancer, no lag or high pings
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
N/A

Pings?!

Hmm it seems to be coming and going, the pings arent high all the time, only some. :?

Dunno whats wrong.
Phantom_Flan_Fl
Grafter

Pings?!

Possibly the server?Huh
N/A

Pings?!

Nah it isnt the server. Ive tried quite a few, hosted by different companies its still the same.

The problem only occurs from about 5pm to 9pm :? :? :? for some unknown reason, i thought it was maybe contention but my speed is fine.

Cry Cry

Dave
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Pings?!

Do some speed tests, use this thread as a guide to what to do.
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
N/A

Pings?!

My pings are ok. I play mostly Counter Strike.

But what I have noticed is lots of packet loss and choke Sad

and the occassional lag

does anyone have any tips on how to max connection?

and also y avergae bandwidth is 480 - anyone get better?
N/A

Pings?!

470 is a sign of a good connection.

However, you talk of packet loss.

One of the wonderful parts of the internet, is that packet loss can be down to any joe. From your ISP, the ISP of the system you are connecting to, and god knows howmany ISPs inbetween.

Maybe pasting some traceroutes, where it shows the location of the packet loss.
N/A

Pings?!

My pings are ok. I play mostly Counter Strike.

But what I have noticed is lots of packet loss and choke Sad

and the occassional lag

does anyone have any tips on how to max connection?

and also y avergae bandwidth is 480 - anyone get better?

99 times out of 100 the choke and packet loss is down to your RATES in counterstrike.

these include rate "10000"
cl_updaterate "34"
cl_cmdrate "42"

Ive included the values i use so you can compare.
There are plenty of guides on the net on how to optimise your rates. Hope this helps,

Dave
N/A

Pings?!

Yep - getting 140-160 pings. Did you get any response from support? Plusnet say BT problem but my mates are with BT and have no probs with their ping. Anyone got any ideas....?
N/A

Pings?!

Good, it isnt just me then.

Im going through the whole "sha-bang" with support the now, not sure if its making any difference though. :?

Dave
N/A

Pings?!

You can't blame +net, unless there is any data to backup what you say.

As noted on other threads.

Your data may flow accross the internet, through a router that drops packets. This may be out of +nets control, and as such, causes major headache for yourself.

However, connecting to the same system from another provider, may well mean, that they do not pass through that router.

Tracroutes, showing packet loss, would likely help diagnose where, and who the issue lies with.
N/A

Pings?!

dave

yeah been messing with cs rates. put them up quite high and loss and choke seem to be settling a bit now - although in the thick of things they still go up a little. but its a lot better

cheers
N/A

Pings?!

dave

yeah been messing with cs rates. put them up quite high and loss and choke seem to be settling a bit now - although in the thick of things they still go up a little. but its a lot better

cheers

Glad its helped. btw you might want to lower the cl_updaterate a bit, as you shouldnt get choke in those situations, those are the situations when you least want it ! Wink

I do also get some though. But nothings perfect Smiley Sometimes i have to even alter my rates from server to server but those ones above seem to be doing the business the now.

[DW]Big_Boss aka Dave
N/A

Pings?!

You can't blame +net, unless there is any data to backup what you say.

As noted on other threads.

Your data may flow accross the internet, through a router that drops packets. This may be out of +nets control, and as such, causes major headache for yourself.

However, connecting to the same system from another provider, may well mean, that they do not pass through that router.

Tracroutes, showing packet loss, would likely help diagnose where, and who the issue lies with.

Now heres the thing. I know u r just doing ur job acarr, but I have heard this kind of talk before. For the record I think +net are good from what I have seen of them.

But the fact remains there are problems I get on +net, that I never got on my old connection (Blueyonder 512k cable) or that I get when surfing from work or my neighbours connecion (Eclipse) or my girlfriends(Pipex). I am sure they all have their own little problems, but I am not really interested in them.

Still on the subject of Counter Strike, while I have messed with rates etc things do seem to have improved slightly but I still experience intermitten lag. Not good esp when one of the selling points for +net for me was that it catered for gamers with good pings, no lag.

Also at various parts of the day I experience delays in loading up web pages. I have seen this mentioned before in other threads and met with the same reply. I know the contention might be effecting it. But sometimes it is really bad - with me waiting 30-60 secs to load a page. Now on a 512k even with full contention I dont expect to wait that long for a page to load. And yes it can be said that packets are being lost somewhere, but these are stable pages such as Yahoo and MSN and BBC. Also do work addresses ever share the same contention as home users?

I am in IT tech support myself and know the problems the support guys face. But I also know just quoting the same 'packets can be lost anywhere' jargon - esp to non technical people is not really good enough.

I know that most datapath ways for internet comminication are very stable and packey loss is rare, to the degree it effects performance. So data traveling from Yahoo for examply - shouldnt loose significant packets at all. The data would flow from Yahoo-ISP-User. Its the trip from the ISP to the user that is norm the problem. The same with game servers.

This is why when I have no problems with any other connection I use be it my old one or at work, neighbour etc. then I can narrow it down to the ISP. And while like I said +net on the whole is good, I am still experiencing problems with latency, data loss while gaming and slow page loads of net. - I am fairly sure the ISP have some sort of responsibility. To blame it on 'routers' out there that could be dropping packets without your control - while in essense is true - I think it is rare.

I can provide traceroutes if required - but again - to ask the average 'home user' is a bit much as this would prob baffle them.