cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ping and Tracert commands?

N/A

Is it just my network being wierd, or has plus.net started blocking the ping and tracert commands?

Used to be very handy for working out how well my connection is faring, can't get any of that info now Sad

ping:
Pinging portal.plus.net [212.159.8.137] with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 212.159.8.137:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),

Tracert:
Tracing route to portal.plus.net [212.159.8.137]

over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 192.168.0.1
2 * * * Request timed out.
3 * * * Request timed out.
4 * * * Request timed out.
5 * * * Request timed out.
6 * * * Request timed out.
7 * * * Request timed out.
8 * * * Request timed out.
9 * * * Request timed out.
10 * * * Request timed out.
11 * * * Request timed out.
12 * * * Request timed out.
13 * * * Request timed out.
14 * * * Request timed out.
15 * * * Request timed out.
16 * * * Request timed out.
17 * * * Request timed out.
18 * * * Request timed out.
19 * * * Request timed out.
20 * * * Request timed out.
21 * * * Request timed out.
22 ^C
C:\Documents and Settings\Dan>

(i stopped it there because i got bored, got to 30 attempts the previous time)

If it has been blocked, can you please re-enable it please plus.net? as they're extremley usefull commands...

I'm hoping it's just my ICS PC gone random, can other people ping servers?
4 REPLIES
N/A

Yes, I can ping and traceroute to www.google.com for example perfectly. Have you tried restarting your connection equipment and PC?
mssystems
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

IIRC +net are blocking ICMP (ping and trace route) to connections which they think are transmitting Netbios traffic. This is to cut down spurious traffic from virus infected and poorly maintained Windows PCs.

We lost ICMP to one particular client, also a +net customer several weeks ago. I can ping and trace from a different ISP which indicates there is an issue routing ICMP within +net borders. We support this site remotely and we were monitoring their router, so that one has cost me revenue. I tried to get it sorted but between the time lag of contact us and the lack of skills on the client site it was taking too long to resolve.

I heard yesterday that +net they may also cut ICMP if you perform a port scan. A collegue on Force9 got a You have a Virus warning and ICMP cut off when he tried an nmap. That one is kinda interesting for me because I am often asked to do penetration tests for clients.

You might want to try pinging yourself from a different network. This would prove whether ICMP has been blocked on your connection or whether your seeing a routing fault. Have a look at www.visualroute.com You can sign up for their live demo and trace to your network from various networks around the World.

I would definitely raise a ticket and see what +net have to say.

Regards
Matt
http://www.mssystems.co.uk
N/A

I heard yesterday that +net they may also cut ICMP if you perform a port scan. A collegue on Force9 got a You have a Virus warning and ICMP cut off when he tried an nmap. That one is kinda interesting for me because I am often asked to do penetration tests for clients.

Ah, thats probably it, I've done quite a few Nmap scans on two of my friends connections when testing out firewalls and trying to get a VPN connection set up Shockedops:

Time to send plus.net a ticket and grovel a bit methinks :shock:
N/A

No need to grovel. You simply have to disconnect your ADSL connection and re-connect.

That will restore the block