cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ping Pong

N/A

Ping Pong

I have a friend on Plus.net broadband (just joined) who is having an awful lot of problems with his connection.

I am now reduced to cluching at straws and trying to get to grips with trouble-shooting.

Reading through the forums it seems like a really good idea to try a clean connection to the main BT socket/filter/router, with nothing else plugged into other sockets and using an ethernet cable instead of wireless and conduct the tests on http://www.broadbandreports.com (Line Packet Loss Testing/Tweak Test). Unfortunately all he can do is sporadically receive/send some mail and could not get this far.

I am totally new to all this broadband malarky but pinging looked like a good idea(!) but if I try to ping his IP I get absolutely nothing back (he was on-line when I tried this) I ping my own IP and things happen!

Surely something should come back if his account is working correctly? Or have I not really grasped the subject?
2 REPLIES
N/A

Ping Pong

does his line keep sync or is it droping?

what hardware does he use to connect to the web?

If he has a router , it may be blocking the pings from you, so that would not show a bad sign.

Buz
N/A

Ping Pong

Thanks Buz i'll find out tomorrow, i'm taking my laptop & routers/filters over there to see how that responds. My setup was literally plug in and I was connected, absolutely no problems, so i'm baffled!