cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Picking up telephone drops connection

N/A

Picking up telephone drops connection

Am I the only one whose adsl connection drops intermittently, and ESPECIALLY when i pick up either of my phones in the house?

Over the last few months I've been through new splitters, new cables and almost every wiring configuration possible. Plusnet Support and I have almost written a book. And still no joy.

Before I relocate my computer and everything to the main BT socket by my front door (ah, so convenienet) and sit in wait for an intermittent connection drop (although it's actually the phones that cause the main problem, Support say i must disconnect all phones in the house while i do this), can anyone who's had the same problem let me know?

It would be some comfort, while i'm doubled up in front of my computer on the floor and holding my breath for a disconnection, that this is somehow going to solve my adsl problem.

C
--
14 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Picking up telephone drops connection

Regarding your problem,
I would say that it has a lot to do with filters.
I found this post to another site.
---------------------------------------------------
Subject: ADSL disconnects when I pick up the phone.

This is really annoying, I've just got ADSL and a filter from ebuyer. Every time I use the phone my ADSL connection drops.

This happens when I pick it up and when I put it down. I can use the connection when I'm actually on the phone, it just disconnected at the start and end of a conversation.

Any ideas of what's wrong anyone?

******** Replies....

This is a classic symptom of a low-quality (i.e. cheap) micro filter. As far as I am aware the (£2-ish) filters come nowhere near meeting the required standard (BT SIN346v2.2) and in many cases will give
exactly this behaviour. Whether or not they work depends entirely on the phones etc you are using - so the same filters could be fine for someone else.

If you want to make sure this kind of problem doesn't happen, you need to use quality micro filters
-------------------------------------------------
N/A

O joy. A more believable response than any i've heard so far.

How will i know a good quality filter when i see one. The replacement ones PlusNet sent me in January are YCL Microfilter MF601UK. Any ideas where I can get better ones?

Or should I just take pot luck til i find ones that happen to work for me (cheaper than buying new phones or rewiring the house, as Support were beginning to suggest to me).

Thanks, C
N/A

Hi,
the filter/splitters I have are the same.
You could pay around £7 per filter and still get the same problem.
Most of the filter/splitters are made by the same company and sold on un branded to others.
Do you have filters in all phone sockets that have phones in?

Email me if you want.
musicman53@musicman53.plus.com
N/A

> Hi,
> the filter/splitters I have are the same.
> You could pay around £7 per filter and still get the same problem.
> Most of the filter/splitters are made by the same company and sold on un branded to others.
> Do you have filters in all phone sockets that have phones in?
>
> Email me if you want.
> musicman53@musicman53.plus.com
>

I had this exact problem a few months ago. It is not your micro filters, its your phone line. I had to get a BT engineer to come round with a box of tricks and lo! it has worked fine ever since... I had to be prepared to pay £70 if BT found no fault on the line, but it was worth the risk.
N/A

EXCUSE ME
I did NOT say it WAS the filters,all I said was that I would say it was.
Faulty filter/splitters CAN cause problems as can phone lines.
People tacking extra sockets onto master sockets,connecting masters to masters,people who think they know what they are doing when they do not......
In the past there have been issues proved to have been caused by filters/splitters.
NO one can can say"it's not the filters".

N/A

>
> I had this exact problem a few months ago. It is not your micro filters, its your phone line. I had to get a BT engineer to come round with a box of tricks and lo! it has worked fine ever since... I had to be prepared to pay £70 if BT found no fault on the line, but it was worth the risk.

What did BT class as a fault on your line then? Was it old/ bad wiring? I'm just wondering if it's worth the £70 risk as i'm only going to be here a couple of months more.

Meanwhile, i've just popped out and bought 2 expensive (£11) filters with BT slapped all over em, and they DON'T seem to have improved the situation. In fact, with one of my phones (with a cord) i don't even get a dial tone now when it's plugged in to the filter. Guess i'll be returning the filters!
But do let me know what BT said the fault was on your line...thanks, C

N/A

What type of phone are you using? Some phones seem prone to do this changing your phone may work if you get a modern one like a DEC.

You dont have to buy one try borrowing differnet phones from family.

It cured mine

> Am I the only one whose adsl connection drops intermittently, and ESPECIALLY when i pick up either of my phones in the house?
>
> Over the last few months I've been through new splitters, new cables and almost every wiring configuration possible. Plusnet Support and I have almost written a book. And still no joy.
>
> Before I relocate my computer and everything to the main BT socket by my front door (ah, so convenienet) and sit in wait for an intermittent connection drop (although it's actually the phones that cause the main problem, Support say i must disconnect all phones in the house while i do this), can anyone who's had the same problem let me know?
>
> It would be some comfort, while i'm doubled up in front of my computer on the floor and holding my breath for a disconnection, that this is somehow going to solve my adsl problem.
>
> C
>
> --
>

N/A

I had the same sort of problem with my telephone line from the pole to the house.

Consider how long the lines been there, in all weathers, winter and summer. Eventually they do become brittle and can cause intermitant problems.

I fixed this by hanging out of my bedroom window with the garden brush (heavy bloody thing). If the line breaks then it becomes BTs responsiblity and they don't charge you for a brand new line!

I'm not suggesting that you break the line on purpose though.
:naughty:

--
:bandit:
N/A

> EXCUSE ME
> I did NOT say it WAS the filters,all I said was that I would say it was.
> Faulty filter/splitters CAN cause problems as can phone lines.
> People tacking extra sockets onto master sockets,connecting masters to masters,people who think they know what they are doing when they do not......
> In the past there have been issues proved to have been caused by filters/splitters.
> NO one can can say"it's not the filters".
>
>

Kev Im trying to be helpful, no need for the amateur dramatics... Roll eyes

C - to be honest I haven't got a clue what the problem was with my line. My connection was working fine until one day, then suddenly every time I picked up the phone my connection was dropped. I must admit I did feel a bit fobbed off by both BT and plus net but I stuck by my guns as I was sure nothing had changed in the flat or on the PC.

Eventually the BT guy come round, played with my sockets a bit (oooo errrr) and went out onto the telegraph pole outside my window for a few minutes and its worked ever since! Sorry I cant provide any more info than that...

N/A

Thanks. We've got a crappy Cable & Wireless one with a cord (need i say more!) and a very spic German digital one that i bought about 3 years ago. Even with only the German one plugged in, i still get disconnection.

But thanks for the suggestion...i'll try borrowing...this could be it!
C

> What type of phone are you using? Some phones seem prone to do this changing your phone may work if you get a modern one like a DEC.
>
> You dont have to buy one try borrowing differnet phones from family.
>
> It cured mine
Delves
Grafter

Hi Caroline

I had these problem's when I first signed up with plusnet and it was diagnosed at the time that the problem was a faulty batch of filters, other users were complaining also. I was getting dropped when I recived incomming call's or the phone was used for outgoimg calls.

I proved this buying two filters from Maplins Electronics, my problems was cured instalntly, plusnet did send two new filters and these now work ok.

You shouldn't need to move your PC if you can find a long lead for your modem to filter.

> Thanks. We've got a crappy Cable & Wireless one with a cord (need i say more!) and a very spic German digital one that i bought about 3 years ago. Even with only the German one plugged in, i still get disconnection.
>
> But thanks for the suggestion...i'll try borrowing...this could be it!
> C
>
> > What type of phone are you using? Some phones seem prone to do this changing your phone may work if you get a modern one like a DEC.
> >
> > You dont have to buy one try borrowing differnet phones from family.
> >
> > It cured mine
>

N/A

In most cases of disconnections like this, it is the filters. But like all computer problems you have to go through an elimination process to find the real fault. I'm sure that's what Plusnet support have tried to do with you.

So if you disconnect all the phones (including sky etc) and plug your ADSL into the master telephone socket do you get ADSL disconnections? Yes - try changing the lead between your ADSL modem and the master socket. Also if you have a neighbour with ADSL try borrowing their modem.

Still getting disconnections then likelyhood its the line. If all okay then move your setup back to its normal position without any other phones in. If you now get disconnection its your extension wiring. If its still okay add a phone with a filter swopping phones or filters till you eliminate the problem piece(s) of equipment.

This is a real pain to do. I still have a problem with a Grundig Sky box and a DECT phone. Although it doesn't disconnect the ADSL, the interference on the phone when the sky box is connected is horrendous on the ADSL line, so the sky box is never plugged in (this was never a problem before the phone line was ADSL enabled).

Regarding filters just because you have paid a higher price does not mean they are high quality. Try http://www.clarity.it/telecoms/adsl_bits.htm who have had good recommendations.

N/A

As I said in a post regarding the issue,"I would say it's the filters".
If the filters let the phone short out the ADSL side then yes,it will disconnect.
There is not a lot to what makes up a filter/splitter and it is all too easy for shorts.
By the way,the reason I know of these things is because apart from being a systems builder,I am also an electronics engineer and last time I looked,filters were part of electronics.
I have been having trouble with my connection nearly dropping a number of times when someone is on the phone to me.
When they hang up it stops acting up.
It's like something is trying to disconnect but as there is nothing connected to my line other than the phone&modem(ADSL)then there is nothing that would do that.
Lorian
Grafter

> Regarding filters just because you have paid a higher price does not mean they are high quality. Try http://www.clarity.it/telecoms/adsl_bits.htm who have had good recommendations.
>
I have a few spare of these SIN346 compliant filters. If you want you can have them for £7.50 each including P&P rather than the £10 inc P&P Clarity want. If they don't fix your problem send them back to me in original as-new condition for a refund (less 50p postage).

Jc.