cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pick up phone, lose sync

Karmik
Grafter

Pick up phone, lose sync

I've had this problem for over a week now, and PN are telling me my line is fine, and BT are telling me my line is fine, but quite clearly it's not. Before I get an engineer out, I was wondering if anyone had any ideas?

Basically, if I pick up the telephone (to dial out) or it rings, my router (Linksys WAG 354G) loses sync.

Nothing has changed on my line for months, so this problem has started for no apparent reason. I have tried everything to eliminate problems at my end. The list is as follows:

Tried 3 different filters
Tried a different router (won't sync at all)
Tried the internal ADSL modem (won't sync at all)
Tried a different cordless phone, same problem
Tried a wired phone, same problem.
Unpluged all but the router, which obviously stops the phone issue, but sync is still lost randomly

The line is quite noisy when you are on the phone, and when you pick the phone up, the signal to the router goes from this:

Screenshot 1

To this:

Screenshot 2

Look at the downstream margin!

Any ideas before I escalate this any further?

[Moderator's note by Jonathan (chilllypenguin): Oversized images changed to links, as they where stretching the page.]
4 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Pick up phone, lose sync

If you still have noise on your phone line with all of the broadband equipment disconnected, then I would report it t BT (or your phone supplier) as a voice fault.

Chilly
Karmik
Grafter

Pick up phone, lose sync

If it's any help to anyone, this is now fixed.

I called BT out, and it was a problem between the exchange and my house.
decomplexity
Rising Star

Pick up phone, lose sync

And just for the record, I have seen the exact opposite: a router which normally had lost synch would regain synch when a call was in progress and lose synch immediately the call was hung up.
The problem was traced to a wiring fault in the CAB box (the familiar green distribution box) in the nearby road, but why ADSL should resynch for the duration of a call is weird.
Zen from May 17. PN Business account from 2004 - 2017
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Pick up phone, lose sync

The weirdness of the copper wiring. Not sure my understanding of how it all works is enough to give you a complete explanation but it's likely there was some kind of loop on the line either with the copper pair touching or touching another line.