cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Petition to get BT to increase upload speed to a min of 1mb!

craigbrass
Grafter

Where to sign
Click here to sign the petition.

Details
This petition is to try and get BT (the UK company who own the phone/dsl network) to listen to what people want and increase upload speed from 256k (what it is now nomatter what the download speed is) to a minimum of 1mb on 8mb download speed packages when the trials start in april.

1mb upload is great for webdesigners ect who upload alot of files to the net and feel the current upload limit takes ages to upload even small files.

Please sign this petition before the end of march 2005 and I will send it to the BT team and see what they have to say about it! 10,000 signatures to this should do the trick. Only sign once and use real names please.
17 REPLIES
Community Veteran

This has attracted 5 signatures in the first 10 minutes.

Come on sign up. Now that BT are increasing download speeds, the 256k upload is looking pedestrian.

Chilly
lowry
Grafter

It is likely that BT Wholesale, although I'm not entirely sure, will be offering a higher upload as part of their 8MB product which is due to be trialled in April on 560 or so exchanges.

matt Wink
N/A

It is my understanding that vthe G.DMT statndard as used in UK ADSL does not support 1Mb upstream rates.

I am trying to pull of the full specification to link to here. The only issue is they are not cheap Sad

The UK uses the ITU G.992.1 standard.

IIRC, this does not support 1Mb upload rates when at 8Mb downstream. There is a second standard not sued in the UK, which supports 7Mb downstream with 1Mb upstream.

The other issue is, these are maximum sync rates, and not data rates.

Whilst I can't find the official stuff, Phycho (my god, he is useful Tongue ) has managed to get some information, which in in the ADSL guide thread HERE

THIS post also raises the issue that 8Mb downstream will not mean 8Mb data rates for us.

In all, the thread is a good read on the technology side of why we see certain speeds and the possabilities from ADSL in the UK.
lowry
Grafter

Phyco on ADSLGuide has a use? Cheesy There must be some mistake, surely...

matt Wink
N/A

post this on adsl guide so it gets a wider audience too....more upload! now! Cheesy
hitachi
Grafter

This ITU page has some upload/download figures.

You realise that if the upload goes up to 1mb then in all probability Plusnet would have to include uploads in your fair usage amount.
N/A

A lot of people wouldn't be happy if BT do as you request and make all 8Mb circuits have an upload of 1Mb.
The reason being that, what may seem like a small difference between 256Kb Upload and 1Mb Upload is actually pretty large and would make connections unworkable for a lot of people that would be ok with the present upload speeds.
Upload speeds is a totally differnet ball game than download speeds.
If you want a faster upload you need to go to a different type of broadband which is SDSL... you'll get 1Mb uploads using that.
Hope that helps.
N/A

Hmm But SDSL costs a packet Sad
N/A

Of course it's more expensive. Fast uploads are less attractive to customers then fast downloads, so less would pay for it, less sales makes higher prices.

Think of it this way. Most people using the interent today will rarely use their full upload speeds. They send a few pics to their friends, etc. Now when you increase their upload speed your also restricting the maximum download speed they can obtain and so upping it to 1Mb uploads would be capping their download speed for no reason.
N/A

I am always maxing my Upload as a company is run from my home, and has another office, so we are always swapping files which can be upto 10gig in size (graphics files) a 1meg upload would increase the productivity as well as lower stress (less headbanging). SDSL, although nice, is as gadget said a hellalot to pay, and I can not get it on my exchange *BAH!!!!* even though I would if I could.

buz
N/A

I'm not saying no one wan'ts or needs faster uploads i'm pointing out that increasing the upload speed as was stated in the first post would make things worse for the majority to the benefit of the few.
N/A

Yeah we need to get this sorted
N/A

SDSL just needs time to take off. It's expensive because BT up untill now hasn't rolled it out to all local exchanges. I think my exchange is due to be upgraded soon. Not everyone needs a fast upload speed as yet. It would be nice, but i'd rather see faster downstream speeds rolled out and bandwidth charges sorted out before upload speeds increase.
craigbrass
Grafter

If we get 10,000 signatures to the petition the BT will listen and we may be able to get em to give us the max possible upload speed on BroadBand which is just under 1mb. So if you use messengers and stuff and kno ppl in the UK who use broadband, get em to sign the petition please.