cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Persistant connection problems

N/A

I have an open ticket on this problem which has been on-going since 19th May. Not trying to queue jump all the many others with open tickets but just wondering if anyone else has similar problems.

All was working perfectly until I received my email advising of my upgrade to 8mb. I use a G4 imac with a Binatone ADSL 500 modem as supplied to me by Plusnet when I joined in November 2003. I was on a 2mb service and have had no problems with this set up at all.

Am not an expert on Broadband and don't always understand what I'm reading in the forums but any advice would be welcome. When I first boot up the computer I can connect easily. I then get precisely 30/31 seconds of workable connection and then everything hangs. The modem says I'm still connected, the green light stays on continuously but it's like I have no connection. If I physically disconnect from the net I then cannot reconnect at all unless I leave the computer alone for approximately 30/40 minutes - possibly longer. I would attach a log from my 'Internet Connect' panel (this I also sent to PlusNet) but I don't know how to do this here! Here are some typical chunks from the log:

Sun May 21 10:50:55 2006 : ATM Link Established...
Sun May 21 10:50:55 2006 : Communicating at 448000 bps.
Sun May 21 10:50:55 2006 : Serial connection established.
Sun May 21 10:50:55 2006 : Using interface ppp0
Sun May 21 10:50:55 2006 : Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/cu.AdslUsbModem1B1
Sun May 21 10:51:00 2006 : local IP address 80.229.16.111
Sun May 21 10:51:00 2006 : remote IP address 195.166.128.72
Sun May 21 10:51:00 2006 : primary DNS address 212.159.6.9
Sun May 21 10:51:00 2006 : secondary DNS address 212.159.6.10
Sun May 21 11:13:07 2006 : Terminating on signal 15.
Sun May 21 11:13:07 2006 : publish_entry SCDSet() failed: Configuration daemon not (no longer) available
Sun May 21 11:13:07 2006 : publish_entry SCDSet() failed: Configuration daemon not (no longer) available
Sun May 21 11:13:07 2006 : can't talk to PPPController : Broken pipe
available
Sun May 21 00:19:15 2006 : publish_entry SCDSet() failed: Configuration daemon not (no longer) available
Sun May 21 11:13:07 2006 : can't talk to PPPController : Broken pipe
Sun May 21 11:13:13 2006 : Connection terminated.

Tue May 23 19:27:00 2006 : Starting link
Tue May 23 19:27:01 2006 : ATM Link Established...
Tue May 23 19:27:01 2006 : Communicating at 448000 bps.
Tue May 23 19:27:01 2006 : Serial connection established.
Tue May 23 19:27:01 2006 : Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/cu.AdslUsbModem1B1
Tue May 23 19:27:32 2006 : LCP: timeout sending Config-Requests
Tue May 23 19:27:32 2006 : Connection terminated.

Wed May 24 15:34:38 2006 : Communicating at 448000 bps.
Wed May 24 15:34:38 2006 : Serial connection established.
Wed May 24 15:34:38 2006 : Using interface ppp0
Wed May 24 15:34:38 2006 : Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/cu.AdslUsbModem1B1
Wed May 24 15:35:26 2006 : local IP address 80.229.16.111
Wed May 24 15:35:26 2006 : remote IP address 195.166.128.53
Wed May 24 15:35:46 2006 : IPV6CP: timeout sending Config-Requests

After trying various things suggested to me by PlusNet they eventually raised the fault to BT and posted the following reply on to my ticket on Friday 2nd June

"Broadband Fault Checker - Connection checks [ Completed ]

The Connection checks could not be completed

Test result summary: Inconclusive

We have not been able to complete the checks of your broadband service. This may be the result of a fault in the testing system rather than your service.

We will continue to monitor your fault, please provide more information or further updates on the occurance of your fault. If your fault has not re-occured since our testing, please close the ticket and confirm that you are satisfied that the problem is no longer occuring."

I replied on Friday that the problem remained the same and have heard nothing since then. I am having to try and sort out all this from the net at work so won't read any replys until tomorrow, if anyone can shed any light on this. Thanks.
41 REPLIES
N/A

Dear plusnet

I have spent the morning decommissioning my phone and Sky system and pulling my computer to pieces, taking it downstairs so that it can be installed directly into the master socket…..and guess what? It’s just like I have been saying all along. There’s no problem with my internal systems – the line kept dropping just the same. As I have maintained all along, the connectivity problem is entirely due to the unrequested so-called upgrade.

COPY OF MESSAGE TO PLUSNET:

I can’t even begin to tell you how angry I am about all this upheaval.

This is a repeat of the problem I had with last year’s upgrade from 1mbps to 2 mbps.

I still want you to sort it. It don’t expect to be charged for this crap service until its fixed and absolutely I will not pay anything for a BT inspection.

I also don’t believe what I am told in that it is impossible to restore my 1mbps compaction. Other ISPs are still advertising 1mbps services and I have read on the Internet that downgrading is perfectly possible. I suspect the real reason is that plus does not want to incur the cost of the downgrade.

One very unhappy customer….
N/A

I'm still waiting for a reply to my open ticket from last Friday.

How did they fix the problems with your upgrade from 1 to 2mbps last year?

Like you I just want them to put everything back to how it was. It wasn't broken and worked just fine until the moment of "upgrade". Very difficult to get help when I'm at work all day and phone support almost impossible to contact when I'm at home where all the connection problems are. I can't connect for long enough to do any online diagnostics at home so the phone is my only hope!

Just want some contact from PlusNet to say something is being / can be / cannot be done. Have been extremely patient but it's now too long to be without "help and support".
N/A

Last year it was fixed by downgrading back to 1 mbps.

This year they say that they can't do this as BT would only automatically upgrade it again.

I am sceptical that this could be true since other ISPs are currently advertising fixed rate ADSL. Perhaps they want to save the money that would be incurred with BTfor a downgrade.

Re your problem, you could try ringing. It takes time to get through. I did get through i the end but I got no further.

cheers
eric
boone70
Grafter

I have been having simlar problems with a lifestyle router. It can work for five minutes or for an hour or two. I reverted to my binatone and that was very stable.
The trouble is I need the router and there doesn't seem to be an answer.
N/A

Well interestingly, I left work early so I could phone PN and after 45 mins listening to the music (and getting sunburnt!) I got through to be told they'd replied to my ticket half an hour earlier. I said that I couldn't connect at home to read their reply, so was told:

BT have advised there are planned engineering works going on that are affecting your broadband, unfortunately they have been unable to advise of a resolve date though as soon as further information is available we will let you know.

Why didn't BT tell them this earlier when I was told this by PN on 31st May?:

I have raised your fault to BT. Please be aware that they can take between 48-72 hours to provide a response.

Could BT not let ISP's know in advance of 'planned' works that will cause disruption? And why did they co-incidentally start on the day my upgrade commenced? Why is my neighbours broadband fine (although I don't know what speed they're on to be fair)?

No connection since the 19th May now - seems like it's going to be a long time before this gets sorted methinks. Fed up.
N/A

Re: Persistant connection problems

Sun May 21 10:51:00 2006 : primary DNS address 212.159.6.9
Sun May 21 10:51:00 2006 : secondary DNS address 212.159.6.10

Interesting... for some reason it assigns you the ntp (time server) as the DNS server. I have noticed that the DNS servers and Time servers seem to alternate between these addresses a lot which might explain the lack of connectivity.

Eg, before 212.159.6.10 resolved to ptn-cdns02.plus.net (a DNS server). Later on it will resolve to ntp.plus.net

Weird.
N/A

Don't know if this has had an effect. PN posted this to me on 24th May

Please can you confirm if the following steps make any difference.

Please try specifying your DNS entries on your router or in your modem settings as

Also please confirm if your DSL light goes out or starts flashing when you lose the ability to surf, also if this applies during the period you cannot reconnect.

I have tried specifying the above DNS entries and removing them a few times in case it made a difference (previously when all was working I had no entries in my modem settings).

I relied (25th May):

Hello,
tried your suggestions of adding the numbers to modem settings but no improvement. The light on the modem never flashes, either when the ability to surf stops or when trying to re-connect - it stays on permanently. The only time I can get reliably connect is when I first boot up the mac and then I get approximately 30 seconds of browse time before everything comes to a standstill. After that re-connecting is a huge struggle.

I then got a reply asking if I was wireless, to disble any firewall, reset browser settings, check filters and with that they closed the question before I could double check all that (again), so I had to open a new ticket and start again.
N/A

try specifiying the DNS servers as 212.159.13.49 and 212.159.13.50
N/A

Thanks for advice. I'll try that this evening when I get home and get back to you - cheers.
N/A

New settings didn't change anything. Any other suggestions very welcome.
N/A

Hi,

I exactly have the same problem and system (ibook G4) and the 30 odd seconds of surfing. Instead of rebooting the whole system, I just disconnect the modem from the laptop (first by disconnecting on the top bar and then physically unplugging the modem). I then physically reconnect the modem, wait for the DSL light to be costantly on, reconnect via the top bar, surf for 30'' and start the whole cycle again when it inevitably crashes.

Surfing time varies from day to day but is very short (<3 minutes). I also noticed that it is more likely to crash when I have to fill a form (like a password), so it might have to do with uploading (but i might overinterpret things there).

Like you I find customer service to be pretty hopeless. PN have acknowledged that there was a problem with their system, promised to escalate the problem to the appropriate team. Since then It's a blackout, no news from them, which is probably the worse thing.

So you are not the only one, if it is any consolation.

M.
N/A

I agree that the lack of communication is appalling and the worst aspect of this saga. To have waited almost 3 weeks with no connection before finding out about BT engineering works, gives the impression that no one actually chases anything. It's a feeling of abandonment.

I want PN to keep me informed and feel they should be asking BT daily what is happening and then giving me an update.

I would be happy if they would admit that this upgrade hasn't been a smooth transition for everyone, what may be causing these problems, and that anyone with an unusable service (which we're still paying for) will be prioratised and kept informed.

Did PN explain to you what the problem with their system that's causing your problems?
N/A

Did PN explain to you what the problem with their system that's causing your problems?

Nope, this is an extract of my ticket (now called question), nedless to say the 72 hours mentionned below have long passed:

Script User Unused - ADC - Developers 1:27am, Friday 2nd June 2006

Broadband Fault Checker - Connection checks [ Completed ]

The Connection checks have now completed

Test result summary: Fail
We have completed testing of your broadband service. The results indicate that the fault may be caused by a problem with our systems. More information may be available on our Service Status page.Please check Service Status.If there is no service-wide problem reported on Service Status, we will provide an update when we have more information.
Script User Unused - ADC - Developers 1:27am, Friday 2nd June 2006

Your support request has been escalated to the correct team for review.
Your comment 10:46am, Friday 2nd June 2006

Just to let you know that I tried again this morning, to no avail (it was even worse, the system froze faster). I am writing you from my workplace.

Kind regards,

J******* CSC Service Delivery Management 8:46am, Saturday 3rd June 2006

Dear Customer,

Please accept our apologies for the delay in responding to your query. I will now move your query to the correct team to be actioned. We will complete detailed diagnostics on your line with further updates expected in the next 72 hours.

Regards,
J*******

To administer your account and for all your help and support requirements visit http://portal.plus.net/index_nlp.html
N/A

connection problems

Its comforting, in a very annoying sort of way, to see that I am not the only one experiencing problems. Like an earlier post here, my problems started the day i got the email telling me about the upgrade which was the 19/20th May and although PN says the testing will be for 14 days I still have exacly the same problem 3 weeks later. I can nly connec for about 3 mins at best. I am some distance from the exchange s nly see speeds of betwen 2.1 and 3.1. Download`speeds are really bad though ranging from 250kbps to a measly 79kbps. My modem drops the dsl light and goes into training mode every 5 minutes and reconnecion can also be a problem equiring me to reboot the computer. I think as a gestue of god will PN shold refund one months subscription as I, and many more of us, are paying for a servise we are not receiving. Its just not good enough these days. Does anyone else`agree?
Steve