cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Packet loss on my wireless router/modem

N/A

What could be the main course of packet loss on my wireless router/modem?

It's two weeks old and is not the most expensive box in the shop, but it's performance has degraded over the time I've had it. I thought plus.net was to blame but after checking the router performance over ethernet it seems to be the wireless capability that is dropping packets.

What could cause this? Range? Signal strength? Sod's law?

FYI my computer is in the room above the wireless box, and the house is just a fairly regular Victorian terraced.

Any help appreciated.

matt
10 REPLIES
Community Veteran

The most likely thing would be signal loss perhaps cased by the environment of the system. Solid walls etc between the divices. Can you move the aerials slightly as at very high frquencies the wavelength is extremely short and just a few inches can make a difference in how reflected signals off walls etc arrive.
i.e In phase or out of phase with the direct signal.
If arriving out of phase they can reduce or even cancel out the wanted signal.
Mark_Dowd
Grafter

You don't mention the make of wireless device on the workstation, but mine (NetGear) has signal strength and quality meters when you click on the System Tray icon. These may give you some indication of what they think is going on.

Another tack could be the voltage required to drive the wireless component. I've seen it mentioned somewhere that older PCs, fitted with older USB ports, cannot deliver quite enough voltage to drive external wireless units. If the situation is marginal, they don't fail, just "fumble" packets.
N/A

Hi,

i am Mac based on a Actiontec box, i have been in contact with them and they say it is a known fault with the box. They recommended a course of action but it has not helped that much. I can post this but packets are still flying of into the ether/being ignored.

I'll post back here with my progress.

matt
N/A

The good news about the internet is it uses TCP for most conversations. This is the protocol between the IP layer and your applications (web-browsers).

TCP (Transfer Control Protocol) is designed in a way, that it re-requests dirty data (corrupt or missing) if something is amis.

This causes your connection to be slow as the data is often transfered twice (or more).

This will mean you can browse, but at a slower rate.
Ianwild
Grafter

I actually had to disable WEP on one of the satellite links (A repeater that feeds my garden!) on my Wireless mesh because of this exact problem. Everything else runs 128bit WEP, but the garden link has none.

Are you using WEP (And if not, why not!)?

Cheers,

Ian
N/A

I am using WEP but switched it off and there was no difference. this has been acknowledged to be a hardware problem, so I am chasing the hardware manufacturers!

:roll:
matt
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

hmm I've seen sites where ppl Mod there aerials for this reason, to boost the signal strength on the reciever.

I'll try and find it the url

edit: Here
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
N/A

It's not a signal strength problem as far as I am aware, but thanks for the thought. Also, the aerial is built into the wireless PCMCIA card in my box.

matt
N/A

Do you have a DECT phone in the house close to either of the antennas?
The broadcast from the 'phone has been known to interfere with 802.11b & 802.11g wireless network equipment as they share the same frequency of 2.4Ghz. Microwave ovens are another (bizarre) culprit for interference.

HTH
N/A

Do you have a DECT phone in the house close to either of the antennas? The broadcast from the 'phone has been known to interfere with 2.4Ghz 802.11b & 802.11g wireless network equipment as they share the same frequency. Microwave ovens are another (bizarre) culprit for interference.

HTH

We have a BT phone in the filter on the same socket. We do not have a microwave and all the water supply (another cause i have read of) is at the other end of the house.

As I say, it has been confirmed by the manufacturer as a hardware fault, so I am waiting for them to get back to me. Their first suggestion did not improve matters.

matt