cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PS2 broadband access

N/A

PS2 broadband access

will plusnet be one of the isp's which will allow it's customers to access the internet through their ps2 (when launched)?
12 REPLIES
Delves
Grafter

RE: PS2 broadband access

I hope they'll let me use Xbox live through the connection, I've already bought it for christmas.

> will plusnet be one of the isp's which will allow it's customers to access the internet through their ps2 (when launched)?

N/A

I already asked about the Xbox and was told they had no plans in the future to provide this service so dont hold your breath. I did read in Xbox mag that by official launch (march 2003) there would be more ISP's signed up, currently only BT BB.

Dont know about PS2 but probably along the same lines.

Ja

Delves
Grafter

I've contacted PlusNet and they've said there should be no problem with Xbox live and for those who didn't know you can now buy the Xbox live kit and use it in the second beta phase providing there's some left. Subscription not starting until march so you get three free months.

Sorry for jumping on the PS2 question. I have no idea about this but I think the lauch is still a long of for UK user's

Regards

Dave

> I already asked about the Xbox and was told they had no plans in the future to provide this service so dont hold your breath. I did read in Xbox mag that by official launch (march 2003) there would be more ISP's signed up, currently only BT BB.
>
> Dont know about PS2 but probably along the same lines.
>
> Ja
>
>

espresso_mick
Grafter

Do the consoles have to use some specialized system?

I would have thought if you had a broadband connection it wouldn't matter what was behind it...be it PC, X-Box or PS2.

Delves
Grafter

No special system on the Xbox just a 10Mb ethernet port. Connect it to your hub or setup ICS on your PC and it should work. Don't know what access Sony will provide, the PS2 has no capabilities without plugin hardware.

The reason I asked about Xbox was because its well known that if your an AOL customer then it won't work, don't know why, but it wont and AOL aren't in a rush to get it working, I just wanted to make sure there was no reasons why it shouldn't work with PlusNet

> Do the consoles have to use some specialized system?
>
> I would have thought if you had a broadband connection it wouldn't matter what was behind it...be it PC, X-Box or PS2.
>
>

N/A

Xbox live works fine on Plusnet, I am playing online with my Xbox now, as I received my test drive kit last Friday.
Would suggest you use a router though as a connection method. I use the Netgear DG814 (£130).

If you have any other questions, then please feel free to ask.

Cheers,

Scott

--
Delves
Grafter

Hi Scott

I've got my kit but its gone away for Santa to deliver, I'll be starting with an ICS setup first, kids cost a lot without having to buy a router at this stage. Have you tried it that way at all?

What games have you played, I know there's not a massive choice yet but I'm sure it will snowball. He's picked MechAssault to kick off with.

Regards

Dave

> Xbox live works fine on Plusnet, I am playing online with my Xbox now, as I received my test drive kit last Friday.
> Would suggest you use a router though as a connection method. I use the Netgear DG814 (£130).
>
> If you have any other questions, then please feel free to ask.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Scott
>
>
> --
>

N/A

Dave,
The ICS method is not for the faint hearted!
My brother in law has been trying to get that working for over a week! Without success.
I have even been over for couple of hours and got nowhere (i am an IT manager by trade!!). He has spent hours on the phone to Microsoft.

By far the best game I have played is Moto GP, it is fantastic. Also have Mech and Unreal both good games but kinda over run with yanks!
Looking forward to Santa binging me Ghost Recon.

My gamer tag is AyrHead, give us a shout when your online, and we can have a game sometime!

Regards,

Scott
Delves
Grafter

Will do if I ever get it working. I'm in the IT field as well, Looking after Win2000 based call centre's. I know what it can be like.

I'm running XP on the machine with the share setup, whats your brother in law running.

Can you see the Xbox on the network without using a Xbox Live game disk. As yet I've never tried to hook up althoug I've just finished CAT5 ing the house, just need to terminate now.

> Dave,
> The ICS method is not for the faint hearted!
> My brother in law has been trying to get that working for over a week! Without success.
> I have even been over for couple of hours and got nowhere (i am an IT manager by trade!!). He has spent hours on the phone to Microsoft.
>
> By far the best game I have played is Moto GP, it is fantastic. Also have Mech and Unreal both good games but kinda over run with yanks!
> Looking forward to Santa binging me Ghost Recon.
>
> My gamer tag is AyrHead, give us a shout when your online, and we can have a game sometime!
>
> Regards,
>
> Scott

N/A

Dave,

Brother in law running Win XP as well. No you can't see Xbox on network through network neighbourhood, but you can ping it, if using ICS I suppose it would have the IP 192.168.0.2 (if you had no other devices attached and sharing).
So testing connection that way is possible, one word of warning though, my brother in law has managed to get his Xbox an allocated IP but still cannot connect through to the Live servers!

Will post what solution he finally gets FYI whenever that is (hopefully soon as I want to beat him at Moto GP).

Cheers,

Scott
N/A

And remember, an ICS connection requires a crossover cablefrom PC to Xbox. Thought I had better mention this while you are cabling LOL!!

Scott.
Delves
Grafter

I've a 10/100 8 port Netgear switch that's a ripout from work so I'll be ok for straights.

> And remember, an ICS connection requires a crossover cablefrom PC to Xbox. Thought I had better mention this while you are cabling LOL!!
>
> Scott.