cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PPoE instead of PPPoA

mel

PPoE instead of PPPoA

Do PlusNet support PPP0E connections instead of PPPoA?

The reason I ask is that I'd like to use a Origo 1 port router in 'half-bridge' mode connected to a cisco 2610 router. The problem is that I can only find documentation on how to set this up with PPPoE.

The basic config would be:
LAN(10.x.x.x)---E0/0(2610router)E1/0---ADSLModem---PlusNet

Any suggestions would be nice. I know I can get an ADSL WIC on e-bay for about £200 but the £35 Origo is a bit more affordable
6 REPLIES
N/A

PPoE instead of PPPoA

Yes, it works with PlusNet, however, they do not support it.

This is a feature of the BT network, and not all nodes allow it yet. SO it is pot luck if it works or not.
N/A

PPoE instead of PPPoA

saw a router on sale in this forum...
i think is netgear 834?...brand new?40 pound...
also is a good one.
N/A

PPoE instead of PPPoA

A link here,
discusses a couple of ways to use the Origo unit, which
may be of interest.
Another option is to go for a modem such as X Modem from
ADSL Nation, they have a new ethernet only unit,
which may work with the Cisco router, if you check
on their list of compatible units.
Alec
N/A

PPoE instead of PPPoA

slightly different setup

I have the 2 light binatone modem, which is currently using PPPoE bridged (RFC 1483) and Windows XP. works fine Smiley

So it is possible
mel

PPoE instead of PPPoA

Thanks for all the pointers.

I currently use a Solwise 715 router for adsl connection. The reason I'm changing is because I'm studying for my CCNP exam. I'm trying to get my router lab directly connected to the Internet so I can study whilst on the move and look at a few other things like advanced ACLs, encryption, NAT, PAT, prioritising traffic etc, etc

It'd be a lot easier with a 837 or an ADSL WIC but the wife would go spare if I spent another £200+ on routing kit Cry

If anyone knows of someone who needs a Cisco 803 ISDN router and is wanting to swap for an cisco ADSL capable one ............... some chance of that happening! :?

Regards
N/A

PPoE instead of PPPoA

saw a router on sale in this forum...
i think is netgear 834?...brand new?40 pound...
also is a good one.

DG834 is a good router, with NAT and SPI firewall. Doesn't get hot either. unlike a lot of DSL modem routers, including the Origo.