cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PPPoa

N/A

PPPoa

Just been having a quick look into this after all support staff asking me about my PPP settings not being PPPoa(point to point protocol/over ADSL).
From what I understand the fact I am using PPP as my server settings and using adsl connection and not an ethernet card(ie the PPPoe the welcome letter recomends NOT using) means that i am always using PPPoa.

Can anyone clear this up?
Cheerz
2 REPLIES
N/A

RE: PPPoa

You're going to have to look at some DSL technical white papers to get the exact details on this, but as I understand it the ADSL bit that lies below TCP/IP in the OSI networking model can take various forms. That is to say, DSL technology can 'encapsulate' higher-level traffic is a variety of ways, PPPoA (PPP over ATM) being just one. On BT's DSL network in the UK, only PPPoA (RFC 2364) is supported, and so I'd be rather surprised if you had a +Net DSL product that didn't use that encapsulation method.

N/A

RE: PPPoa

From what I understand, most connection software, displays PPP as the method. However, it doesn't expand the name, and in most cases, this PPP is infact PPPoE.

What connection hardware have you got?

In most cases, they come with details on the types of connection to sellect, and other come with setup wizards.