cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PPPoa / PPPoE Help

N/A

PPPoa / PPPoE Help

Hi fellas,

i am away regulary on business and on returning home this time i have no internet connection. Keep getting disconnect message "unable to find PPPoE server"
Usual setup. Username; Password; PAP then connect.

Called +Net (9 calls always routed to dead ends through voice prompts) and after an hour to be told that i should be using PPPoA.

I use DLink 300+ and Belkin F5D7230-4, belkin has no provision for PPPoA and i am determined that in the 4 years with +Net i have never configured anything other than a PPPoE system.

I now have a router which will not allow PPPoA and if anyone has a set up similar to mine and can help with tweaking settings then i will be very grateful

My question is: have i lost my mind and i really have been using PPPoA all this time? or, has +Net changed to PPPoA with the switch to IPStream?

Please help an old man deal with his memory issues and figure wether i have been going out of my mind for no reason.
13 REPLIES
Alecto
Grafter

PPPoa / PPPoE Help

PPPoA all the way, I'm afraid. Always has been.

Though some people who've had trouble with their connection have reported changing to PPPoE and it working better.
Some exchanges do seem to work with PPPoE,

Here is somebody with the same problem.
ID
Grafter

PPPoa / PPPoE Help

Yep I used to have a DLink DSL300T and the Belkin 7230 and was setup for PPPoA on my PlusNet connection
Make sure you have the latest firmware for both. Belkin also have a free phone number and were very helpful when my 7230's wireless stopped working. (another was despatched and kept the old one as std router)
Belkin: 00800 22355460
N/A

PPPoa / PPPoE Help

Well I always thought we had to use PPPoA in the UK and PPPoE was the USA standard ( and probably other places ). Knowing that my Origo router will do both I thought I would try it. Changed over to PPPoE and rebooted it, took a little longer to connect and then all seemed well. Try to see a website, or get email, or FTP and all give the same - unable to connect. Looks like my exchange won't do PPPoE.
N/A

PPPoa / PPPoE Help

Well, just an update guys.

Contacted Belkin about my router and they state that my model DOES NOT support PPPoA and never has.

I am adamant that i have never used PPPoA and this belkin reply confirms this, so why have i been switched all of a sudden?

I have been using my DLink 300G+ and my belkin DSL router for over 3 years now on PPPoE and i come back from a work tour to find the settings on my modem and router have not changed but all of a sudden i am being told by my modem that i cannot connect to the PPPoE server and my wireless does not work.

I am now facing buying a new router because belkin state i cannot continue using my hardware in the "new" configuration.

I have had no notification that i have been migrated to the Tiscali stream but this would explain a few things if i have

Thanks guys

Chamisra
Alecto
Grafter

PPPoa / PPPoE Help

I have had no notification that i have been migrated to the Tiscali stream but this would explain a few things if i have

Ask somebody from Plusnet whether you have - try one of the guys on here?
And when you get connected, your upload sync speed will give the game away .
Greater than 448k and you're on LLU.
N/A

PPPoa / PPPoE Help

Ask somebody from Plusnet whether you have - try one of the guys on here?
And when you get connected, your upload sync speed will give the game away .
Greater than 448k and you're on LLU.

Just trawled through my "questions" area and in my notifications there is one telling me that i have been successfully moved to an alternative supplier and that it won't affect my service.

I now have a connection at 5MB.

l i never got that email in my inbox and i catalog every mail from +Net since i joined in 2002!

So i have been moved, does this explain the PPPoA issue? and if not.... why have i been using PPPoE for the last 4 years.

I now have a Belkin router that does not support PPPoA, ergo i either have to do away with my wireless system or invest in a new one.
Why should i pay for a new router when this is not my fault? +Net sure as hell wont offer to pay for it.

Looks like i'm going to be moving Broadband and taking all the guys i have referred with me.

Just one more question; can i request to change back to +Net as a main supplier and forgo the 8MB fiasco?
Community Veteran

PPPoa / PPPoE Help

So i have been moved, does this explain the PPPoA issue? and if not.... why have i been using PPPoE for the last 4 years

The normal connection in Britain is PPPoA however some but by no means all of the BT exchanges would accept PPPoE and you must have been on one that did accept it.

Now that you have been moved to another supplier it will no longer accept the PPPoE setting.
penders
Grafter

PPPoA and other terms

Hi, just to note, in case your router does support PPPoA but it's not obvious... different hardware manufacturers sometimes use different terms to mean the same thing.

PPPoA is "PPP over ATM", "PPPoATM" or "RFC2364".

On the other hand, PPPoE (which I always thought was the American standard - as said above) is "PPP over Ethernet" or "RFC2516".

I believe PlusNets recommendation (under "essential connection info") has always been to use PPPoA.

Also, IPStream is what you would have been on in the beginning - using BTs own hardware. This was actually one of my main reasons for choosing PlusNet initially(!) and we have since been moved to LLU (Local Loop Unbundling), without a great del of choice, now using Tiscali's (!?) hardware as opposed to BTs.
hitachi
Grafter

PPPoa / PPPoE Help

Am I missing something ?
The dlink is a modem and connects to the internet via pppoa,the belkin is a router and connects to the dlink, and therefore does not need to do pppoa .

edit... Smiley ok I may have been missing something,never dealt with a belkin.
Try this link, it's for use with a 300T so may work.
ID
Grafter

PPPoa / PPPoE Help

http://www.dlink.co.uk/?go=gNTyP9CnptFMIC4AStFCF834mptYLONZT9vhLPG3yV3oUYx6h6ltbNlwaaBprHhsVHSqiTdG/...

• I can get online connecting directly to my PC/Mac, but not using a NAT Router in between. Why ?

The DSL-300G+ is designed to "lock" on the machine it's installed on.

If you wish to put a NAT Router in between (eg. DI-624) you will need to make a few adjustements.

Connect computer to routers' LAN port, or wirelessly
Connect routers' WAN port to DSL-300G+
Change LAN IP of router, to eg. 192.168.1.1, save and reboot.
Reset the DSL-300G+, using the button on the back. (Hold for 10s)
On your computer, go to your web browser and type in the address http://192.168.0.1 press OK
Enter your ADSL account details, provided by your ISP, save and reboot.

IDK if that will help. Also just because you connected using PPPoE it doesnt mean it was right. Even if it did work.
Trapper_Dave
Grafter

PPPoa / PPPoE Help

I'm confused as my Belkin has a PPPoA option on the setup wizard, although since my line upgrade yesterday it won't connect.
penders
Grafter

Belkin(?) / Upgraded

Hi pilditch, I gather the Belkin (F5D7230-4) talked about above is only a router - without a built in modem - and therefore does not have provision for PPPoA (I think?) Is your 'Belkin' one of these?

Incidentally, after I was "upgraded" (to LLU) I too lost my connection (I lost syncronisation completely). I raised a question (ie. 'left a message'!!) with PlusNet. Two days later they contacted me, and a day after that I got syncronisation and a connection back. There was nothing wrong with my end.
N/A

PPPoa / PPPoE Help

Following on from the previous comment, the DSL-300+ may actually be a single port router-modem in which case you could configure the DSL-300+ for PPPoA. Admittedly this leaves you with the question of what to do with the Belkin box, but it should get you a working connection.

As I understand it PPPoE protocol has an "ethernet" layer, allowing a separate modem and router linked by an ethernet cable. PPPoA doesn't allow that and requires that the modem must also BE the router.

Adding an additional ethernet router just adds complications, most times it's easier to just add a switch. Anyone remember the Solwise SAR110, I had one connected to a 16 port switch to share the connection.