cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PPPoE?

N/A

PPPoE?

PPPoE doesn't work on all exchanges.

The currently running maintainance program being run by BT is supposed to addressing this (or so I am told).

Does anyone know if there is a performance gain or loss on switching to PPPoE.
10 REPLIES
N/A

PPPoE?

Lookin at setting up a 4 machine netwoek with a netgear 5 port hub. (The fifth port will be plugged into a Netgear DM602 Ethernet ADSL modem router.)

I am a little confussed about what would need to be set up on the machines to allow access to internet ovr ADSL for all of the machines. I have seen a few network diagrams and they seem to imply that you either have a PC that acts as a server and is always on. The other machines then use this machine as a proxy server using ICS or Proxy server program (such as Proxy plus). The other option (and the one I'd prefere) seems to involve each machine connecting to the router independently and connecting to the ADSL as and when needed.

However, included in this scenario is the term PPPoE. My real questions are these...

What is PPPoE. What does it mean, is it available over Plusnet and what does it actually do?

The second question is that is I have two machines dialling into the ADSL network at the same time is this going to cause clashes and does PlusNet allow multiple connections from different machines? :?

TIA

David
stonechat
Grafter

PPPoE

Hi

PPPoE is PPP over Ethernet, it's not (at present) used in the UK, but PPPoA is, which is PPP over ATM.

I would stringly recommend using a router unless cost is a major consideration, as you'd need to keep on the 'master ' computer to use ICS.

Also the router does the logging in for you, so Internet is available as soon as your computer has booted. I use SAR 715, which is good, though there are others.

Bob
Community Veteran

PPPoE?

Just to add to the above post. Yes you can have all the machines accessinng the net at the same time all doing different things.
And no Plusnet do not object because you are sill using just the one connection.
N/A

PPPoE?

Thank you for these posts.

Most Helpful and the ADSL router has been ordered... :lol:

Regards

David
N/A

PPPoE?

Community Veteran

PPPoE?

The reply is not really relevant in this case other than the statement that PPPoE should now work.
But the rest of the reply was about how to force Windows Xp to select the right protocol.
With a Router / Modem all you need to do is get explorer to find the IP address of the router. All the setting up is done on the router itself not on your PC.
Community Veteran

PPPoE?

No,
The performace is the same AFAIK, BT have introduced it just to give consumers more choice when purchasing a router / modem

Chris
stonechat
Grafter

PPPoE

So if I set up my router as PPPoE - which it can do, can I get any different service - faster? I doubt it.

Bob
Community Veteran

PPPoE?

No,
As I said
The performace is the same AFAIK, BT have introduced it just to give consumers more choice when purchasing a router / modem

Changing your settings from oA to oE is only likely to cause more problems, it's not officially supported 100% and is not available on all exchanges yet, plus if you ever do have problems you would need to change everything back to oA before getting support as at present it is still a minimum requirement and BT won't look at the problem if your equipment doesn't meet these.

Chris
N/A

Re: PPPoE

So if I set up my router as PPPoE - which it can do, can I get any different service - faster? I doubt it.

Bob

I wondered that as well so I did a google search on the differences. What I found was that PPPoE is slightly slower as it has larger headers. I think the difference was about 1% though