cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PPPoE vs. PPPoA again!

N/A

PPPoE vs. PPPoA again!

Shortly after my exchange was enabled for maxDSL (May 2006) I had horrendous problems with constant disconnections ridiculously slow speeds etc. This continued for more than 2 months, with Plusnet nable to offer any uesful advice whatsover. I noticed during this time that if I allowed my router to auto-discover the ADSL connection settings, it always determined the connection type as PPPoE instead of PPPoA. Then miraculously one day after a BT engineer visited my home and told me he could find no faults (but he did speak to his colleagues at the head office for about 30 mins)the router suddenly discovered the connection as PPPoA. After that everything worked fine until today.

There was a wide area power cut in my rea for 4 hours today (possibly also affecting my local exchange). After power returned I found I had no broadband. The router shows itself connectinng to the exchange OK but no internet connectivity. After I tried re-intsalling the router, guess what, it has again discovered the connection type as PPPoE. It now connects OK to the internet but at a slightly slower speed than normal (2.2 Mbps instead of 2.6 Mbps, which is what I usually get).

Is it possible that something somewhere has been reset and has set up an incorrect connection type?

Any other theories?

For info, the router is a Netgear DG834PN, although I have also tried a DG834GT with exactly the same result.
2 REPLIES
N/A

PPPoE vs. PPPoA again!

Have you tried forcing it to ppoa? To see if it improves
N/A

PPPoE vs. PPPoA again!

When I tried forcing it to PPPoA yesterday it failed to connect to the internet (tried it 3 or 4 times at different times). However I just tried again and it now works and speeds are back to what I was getting before. So the problem seems to have been fixed. Strange....

Thanks for the reply!