cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PPPoE & PPPoA problems

N/A

PPPoE & PPPoA problems

Hi guys,

I've just subscribed to one of the best Broadband ISPs out here in UK =)

2Mbps / 8Gb bandwidth (but ready to change for higher bandwidths Wink

I'm setting up my network like so :

microfilter -> ADSL ethernet modem (prolly D-Link DSL 300G+) -> Wireless Router (Gigabyte model GN-B41G @ http://www.gigabyte.de/Communication/Products/Products_BroadbandRouter_GN-B41G.htm -> 4 laptops

Unfortunately I've just realised that PlusNET connects through PPPoA standards.

This is my question:
I do not know if my router supports PPPoA. I highly doubt it, as it only mentions about 'Dynamic IP address', 'PPPoE', and 'Static IP address' in its manual. So
can it still be used as a router as I have a PPPoA compatible ADSL modem to make the connection? I'm not sure if I am being clear here, but I hope I do not have to get another hardware as I already have a Wireless Router and all I need is the ADSL modem......

Please reply as soon as possible. Thank you!
13 REPLIES
Community Veteran

PPPoE & PPPoA problems

Save youself a lot of trouble and just buy a netgear DG834G or Linksys WAG54G.

They are both all in one units with ADSL modem, router, 4 port switch, hardware firewall and 11g wireless capabilities and both are about £100.

The DSL 300G+ has many compatibility issues and is often very difficult to network with other routers and I suspect the gigabyte (which I have never heard of and there is very little info on it on the web) may well be in that camp. Getting support for it may also be difficult. There have been several threads where others have tried and failed to get te DSL 300G+ to work - just do a search for 300G.

The DSL 300G+ handles the PPPoA connection, your router does not need to support it.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

PPPoE & PPPoA problems

It would be your modem that needs PPPoA not the router, the router takes the signal from the modem and then redirects it to which ever wifi cards you have.

So just about all modems or router/modem combos sold in UK are made to work in UK so will work with PPPoA
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

PPPoE & PPPoA problems

Hi,

That router is just a router and doesn't have an inbuilt ADSL modem. In order to connect up you'll either need to get a seperate ethernet ADSL modem/router or replace it.
N/A

PPPoE & PPPoA problems

http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/topic/32015/

According to this post, I am having a similar problem, with the exception being my wireless router isn't a dsl/gateway router... or is it the same?

From what I can gather using your information, am I right by saying my wireless router should work regardless on whether it supports PPPoA or not? This would mean that getting a decent ADSL Ethernet MODEM that can handle PPPoA standards would complete my networking system, does it not?

Phone line -> microfilter to split voice/data -> ADSL modem turns PPPoA into standard ethernet connection for -> Wireless Router which distributes connection using DHCP services to all WiFi enabled computers

One last shot: will getting a 4 in one adsl wireless modem/router be much faster in terms of speed as compared to the system i mentioned above?
Community Veteran

PPPoE & PPPoA problems

An all in one will not be any faster, just so much simpler to setup.

Your main problem is getting an ADSL Ethernet nodem as there are only one or two around and the DSL 300G+ has not had a good track record in terms of compatibility when connecting to other routers. It works fine on it's own plugged directly into a PC (which is it's main purpose).
N/A

PPPoE & PPPoA problems

One last shot: will getting a 4 in one adsl wireless modem/router be much faster in terms of speed as compared to the system i mentioned above?

I maybe wrong here but I don't think the difference would be that noticable.I use a D-Link DI-614+ wireless router and a D-Link DSL-300T modem, and after 3 seperate tests on Plusnets speed test the average was 958.30 on a 1Mb connection.I should imagine that with other things taken into account,and given that the tests are hardly scientific,that average is quite acceptable, and more than good enough for my needs.

Hope that helps

Ian & Linda Jordan
N/A

PPPoE & PPPoA problems

I use a D-Link DSL-300G+ and Linksys BEFSR41 'cable' router. I've never had any problems, I've read about a few, but they all been spurious. It's not really difficult at all. (It is best to set PN dns's in Windoze though).
Just make sure the private IP ranges don't clash. Set the router to use 10.0.0.0 range.
The modem out is just ethernet, so the PPPoA bit doesn't matter.
N/A

PPPoE & PPPoA problems

I had a look at the D-link site and the 300T (closest i can find) is PPPoE and PPPoA compatible.

Craig
N/A

PPPoE & PPPoA problems

The dlink modem is PPPoE compatible, I use it. But be cautious. It's compatibility with other routers is amazingly crap.

http://core.consolegfx.net/i/network.JPG

There's how mine runs. APparently the DSL-300G+ has sorted some of the 300T problems. but I dunno, I'm gonna buy the netgear ethernet modem. Highly recomended over the d-link one.
N/A

PPPoE & PPPoA problems

I recommend the D-link DSL-604+, it is a modem/router with wireless capability for the B frequency.

And it rocks!

Craig
N/A

PPPoE & PPPoA problems

It's a bit pricey though... So I went and bought a decent (unbranded ?) ADSL modem cum wireless router from ebay.co.uk at

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=5127755079&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT

I know it's a little dodgy, but at least it's just over 70 quid, which isn't as exorbitant as £?00 figure.. or is it?

Will inform if the modem works... this saves me the hassle of finding an ADSL modem capable of handling dodgy routers as white1337 had mention.

As to the speed, I came across a post somewhere saying that if the system is PPPoA compatible (meaning all hardware involved) for the ISP that uses PPPoA will dramatically increase its speed. Don't know if it's right, but I reckon I can try n test it out by checking the speed with just the new ADSL modem router against combining the said modem with my extra dodgy Gigabyte wireless router...

All this PPPoA and PPPoE stuff is getting into me!

ps - it's been 3 days since i registered and the |Tracker says it's still in stage 1 ie checking the lines... how long does it take to get pass that?
N/A

PPPoE & PPPoA problems

Can take up to 10 days at max. I've generally noticed it to be 5 for both times I've got my line activated.
N/A

PPPoE & PPPoA problems

i got my 604 for around £70 from dabs.com... they don't sell it anymore though!

It's now the DSL-G604T now, around £80

Craig