cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PPPoE / PPPoa

N/A

PPPoE / PPPoa

i have recently been trying to set up a wireless router and modem, with no joy.
i am very new to the networking and router configuration side of things so please, anyone replying to this message please be gengtle.
the modem is a d-link dsl300t, and the router is my brothers draytek 2200w.
i have been doing some research and attempting to learn all i can, from tis and other forums. however, one thing that i believe may be the problem, is that the router does not have the facility for PPPoA. it was origanally being used with no problems on a cable system. from what i have read and tried to understand, is that PPPoE will not work over an ADSL system. is this the case or am i barking up the wrong tree, and that PPPoE will work perfectly OK.
if the answer is that PPPoE will not function, i will stop fiddling with this router and buy an all in one draytek 2600G.
Many thanks in advance for your replies.
Ian
13 REPLIES
N/A

PPPoE / PPPoa

First PPoE is just another form of DSL, which isn't used in the UK.

First I would make sure the modem works, hook that upto your computer directly and make sure you can connect to the internet fine etc. Once you know thats working fine, hook it upto the router and go from there. If the router is standalone (ie doesn't have integrated ADSL modem) it should work fine. You might just need to change some settings on the router or possibly give it a hard reset.
N/A

PPPoE / PPPoa

Ignore this post if you've already read it.. Google throwed up the wrong hardware Evil - I'm having a look at the hardware you've got tho right now..
N/A

PPPoE / PPPoa

Lol 3rd time lucky Wink

Right..

First, connect the Modem up. Plug in the phone line and connect an ethernet cable into the modem and your PC.. The ports should be clearly labelled.

Next, read this guide to setup your internet connection with the D-Link modem.
ftp://ftp.dlink.co.uk/dsl_routers_modems/dsl-300t/DSL-300T_install_guides.pdf

Now, I'm afraid when it comes to the router.. I can't find anything on it... It's not listed on the Draytek site, so I'm guessing its pretty old. Is it a USB router or something else?
N/A

PPPoE / PPPoa

it is a 4 port ethernet wireless router that is a few years old. it is a
draytek 2200we. the modem works fine, but its ip address is the same as the routers addresss 192.168.1.1 . this i know i have to change so that one is on say
192.168.0.1 . it was the problem with the regard that the router does not offer PPPoA as an option, only PPPoE.
as i said in the first message, the router was my brothers, and before going to the states to work, he had attempted to get the router running on my parents machine. but couldn't get it to talk to the modem. after running out of time. my parents then bought an all in one modem router, and i was given the d-link and draytek to see if i could learn enough to get them working. as i say the modem i know works fine on its own.
N/A

PPPoE / PPPoa

When assigning IP's you haveto keep em in the same range. So 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.1.1 wouldn't work. You should assign them in the range 192.168.0.x

So the Modem could be 192.168.0.1 and the router 192.168.0.2

PPPoE should be fine actually thinking about it. (Peer-to-Peer over Ethernet) Since this is referring to the traffic between the router and the modem. Try assigning those IP values first and see where that leads you.
N/A

PPPoE / PPPoa

thanks. i will have another go at setting up the router and post back
Community Veteran

PPPoE / PPPoa

I believe that modem only works with a limited number or routers and the Draytec may not be one of them.

There was a similar thread recently where the same modem and a different router would not work together and in the end, the kit was changed for an all in one 4 port modem/router which works fine. I suspect you are in the same situation so I would recommend forgeting what you have and buying an all in one device.

The other thread was Help setting up Dlink 300T Modem & Linksys BSFR41 router.
N/A

PPPoE / PPPoa

Im currently connected through PPPOE on my viggor 2600 ADSL router and everything works perfect, but PPPOE is not in the the UK, so whats goin on here. I do wish that i could somehow connect through PPPOA. :?
Community Veteran

PPPoE / PPPoa

PPPOE will work on some but not all BT exchanges.
You must be lucky. Smiley
N/A

PPPoE / PPPoa

Yes i know im lucky which is great, but is there anyway i could change settings etc in my router so i can connect through PPPOA. sice im just curious to do this.

CHEERS Cheesy
N/A

PPPoE / PPPoa

i was under the impression that the 2600 allowed PPPoA and PPPoE.
according to the spec sheet for the 2600plus and the 2600G they do both. anyone have a 2600G that can tell me wether this is correct. i don't want to spend £150 and find it dosn't do PPPoA.
N/A

PPPoE / PPPoa

So far ive been getting away with pppoe, but one day say if i move house and I find out that the BT exchange does not support pppoe, then im nackerd, £150 for nothin. :x
N/A

PPPoE / PPPoa

AFAIKR the modem uses PPOA, & the Router PPOE.
However, if the modem is doing its stuff, the router will not need PPOE.

(not that I know what I'm talking about).

I got my DSL-300T to work with my router by using the uplink port instead of the WAN one.

(Still wont work with Xbox live though Sad)