cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PPPoA v PPPoE

Enkel
Grafter

PPPoA v PPPoE

Today my internet connection stopped working. My router (Netgear 834) was set up according to instructions. So I tried the Setup Wizard on the router. It tried for a few minutes and finally came up with a solution - my Network Type appears to have changed from PPPoA to PPPoE and the multiplexing from VC-based to LLU-based. It now appears to work perfectly.

Anyone have any comments, please? (Especially helpful ones!)
6 REPLIES
oliverb
Grafter

PPPoA v PPPoE

Fortunately many exchanges will try to autodetect which protocol you are trying to use. AFAIK officially it should be PPPoA and VC-mux.

VC-mux is slightly more efficient than LLU, there is less overhead.

PPPoA is probably slightly more efficient than PPPoE, though I don't have facts to back this up.
Community Veteran

PPPoA v PPPoE

under vc I don't have the option of mux. instead I have qos type ubr, cbr or vbr

I can also fix settings for Pcr Rate: cps and Scr Rate: cps

I'm currently on vc with ubr. should I be on something else. Will this be what's affecting my ability to use the bbc multicasts.

I have the multiplex impg proxy set to enabled and udp.

Are any of these settings correct or would changing them make a difference.

A
N/A

Re: PPPoA v PPPoE

Today my internet connection stopped working. My router (Netgear 834) was set up according to instructions. So I tried the Setup Wizard on the router. It tried for a few minutes and finally came up with a solution - my Network Type appears to have changed from PPPoA to PPPoE and the multiplexing from VC-based to LLU-based. It now appears to work perfectly.

Anyone have any comments, please? (Especially helpful ones!)

I have the same router, but I think the problem is theirs not ours. So it's probably coincidence that the router connected. I had a terrible start with PN but things do seem better after my first week. I do hope things improve.
Trapper_Dave
Grafter

PPPoA v PPPoE

So are you guys connecting with PPPoE as oppose to PPPoA?
N/A

PPPoA v PPPoE

PPPoa on mine, disconnections are their fault not ours, let's hope they sort it out.

Moderators note by John (johnessex) Full quote of preceding post removed as per the Link:rules
Community Veteran

PPPoA v PPPoE

Before DslMAX it used to be the case that some but by no means all BT exchanges would accept PPPoE as well as PPPoA which is the standard in the country.
As far as I am aware it still is the standard and you should use PPPoA and VCmux as your router setting.