cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PPPoA or PPPoE

N/A

PPPoA or PPPoE

Like most other people on this forum I have been suffering massive problems over the past 6 weeks as a result of my maxDSL "up"grade. I'm as frustrated as everyone else at how inadequate Plusnet's customer service continues to be on this topic. Judging by recent announcements they've at least recognised what an abysmal job they've been doing. Lets' hope they now start to really improve.

Anyway.... until about 2 weeks ago my service would disconnect at least once a day, if not several times a day with sync rates varying between 768 and 2172 Kb/s but max. download rate (according to Plusnet's speed tester) never above 512 Kb/s.

Then 2 weeks ago in a forlorn attempt to try and improve things I played with virtually every setting on my router (a Netgear DG834GT). During this I inadvertently set my connection type to PPPoE instead of PPPoA. Ever since then my router has never lost sync and I've maintained a sync rate of above 2 Mb/s at all times (although download rate according to Plusnet speedchecker is still 512 Kb/s). Before the maxDSL upgrade I consistently got a 1 Mb/s rate.

To test this wild theory I reset the router to PPPoA and guess what, daily disconnections again.

So should it be set to PPPoA or PPPoE? I always thought it was supposed to be PPPoA, but it definitely works better set to PPPoE. Why could this be?

If only I could now get my usable speed somewhere near my sync. rate I'd be a happy bunny :roll:
9 REPLIES
Community Veteran

PPPoA or PPPoE

It should be set to PPPoA as that is what the UK uses. PPPoE does work on a few exchanges but is not the setting to use, even if it does work better.
Alecto
Grafter

PPPoA or PPPoE

Why is that then Peter?
If it works better, perhaps we should all give it a try.
vic_newey
Grafter

PPPoA or PPPoE

I just tried the PPP over Ethernet VCMUX & it connected as usual
tried PPP over Ethernet LLCSNAP & it tried to dial the 56 k modem I use occasionally to access othe ISP websites I run that won't permi t ADSL from other ISP's
Alecto
Grafter

PPPoA or PPPoE

It was a serious question.

If PPPoE may work better and indeed stop some of the problems people seem to be having with their connections, would it not be sensible to try it, and if it does work better, to keep on using it, regardless of what one is "supposed" to do?
N/A

PPPoA or PPPoE

it isn't "true" PPPoE - PPPoE runs on top of PPPoA so you are forcing more unusable overheads on the connection. This does make it more stable but I'm not sure why.
Alecto
Grafter

PPPoA or PPPoE

Thanks .
So does that mean it would be a reasonable thing to suggest to people who are having trouble stabilising MaxDSL?
N/A

PPPoA or PPPoE

I don't know.. it just seems like a quick and dirty hack... they might as well have interleaving switched on
N/A

PPPoA or PPPoE

Something else people may want to try.
see
http://yarwell.blogspot.com/2005_08_01_yarwell_archive.html

Use at your own risk[/img]
Stef
Grafter

PPPoA or PPPoE

Six weeks ago my Netgear DG834G stopped working (It had been working for about a year before). The ADSL modem light came on but thats as far as it got - logical connection lost. Changed to PPoE/LLC and it has been working sweetly for the last six weeks. Yesterday tried it again on PPPoA/VC-Mux no joy.

Replaced Netgear with Vigor 2800 and PPPoA/VC-Mux worked first time... Disconected Vigor, reconnected same DG834G unit NOW WORKS FINE AGAIN TOO on PPPoA/VC-Mux. :roll:

This problem, working with PPPoE/LLC but not PPPoA/VC-Mux, seems to have been reported for Netgear and Vigor devices. See...

http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=42374&highlight=

Regards,
Stef (a not upgraded to 8MB but patient customer!)

ps I am sure I read somewhere about using another modem to 'kick' an ADSL line back into functioning correctlyHuh

pps I have been warned that PPoE/LLC only works on some exchanges...