cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PPP problems

N/A

PPP problems

Bare with me, pretty new to routers, although pretty adept with networking...
Currently I am trying to use a draytek 2600 router standard issue router.
After configuring the router to allocate various aspects of my home network, everything can and indeed does talk to each other perfectly.

The problem seems to occur when i try to contact the outside world.
I have had the adsl connection about a week.
May have something to do with my line, or might not.

On the router monitor it shows that the adsl connection is present and waiting to go, it then proceeds to call plus net. This seems to work fine, the PPP session? is session the right word starts fine, and everything begins to talk to each other.
Add a random amount of time later, I get this wonderful message saying that the PPP we'll call it a session had been remotely terminated. This has been from 1min to 5hours..

So depending as far as i can see it, if the wind is blowing in the right direction, and I have my special lucky pants on, I can go about my business without hinderance. :lol:

Am I missing some vital setup issue here, or is my line tested less than a week ago, knackered already. :?:

I seem to allways have showtime present but a shutdown ppp...
If anyone has an idea what the SNR Margin, and Loop Att mean.. I would greatly appreicate this, as they seem to vary on connection attempt, about 1-2.

Any help would be greatly welcomed..
14 REPLIES
Community Veteran

PPP problems

Can you post the figures you have for the line attenuation up and down and the SNR (Signal to noise ratio)?
With that information it may be possible to see if your line is within limits.
N/A

PPP problems

In adition to this.

Have you made sure you have all other phone connected devices attached to spliters, with the exception of the ADSL modem (this can be connected, but to the ADSL side of the splitter).

This is a biggest cause of connection dropouts.

Other items are bad house wireing, faulty splitters and finaly that your line can't support it (though BT don't usuly get this wrong).
N/A

PPP problems

SNR indicates 2.5 at the moment, although it varies, Loop Att is 61.0 at the current time,

All extensions with devices have a spliter attached, but simular problems occur with no devices, I wanted to make sure really that if I could get outside it wasn't my networking at fault but rather the internal/external wiring.

I have also tried bypassing the internal wiring and plugging directly into the main phone point, doesn't help a great deal, still the random drops.

Just how random are IP address's? hehe since I have been loging it, I have had the same IP each time.. as a side note Wink
N/A

PPP problems

On ADSL, IP addresses are static. You will have the same IP address everytime you use the internet.

As for your Loop Att, that looks mighty high. But I don't really know anything about that, the others will be able to advise you as to whether that's the problem Smiley
Community Veteran

PPP problems

Yes the attenuation does look on the high side.
it should be 55db max but BT have been doing 60db trials and I do't know the outcome of those.

Im a bit more concerned though about the Signal to noise ratio. I assume that the 2.5 is actually 2.5dbs. ?
This is not good at all and the higher the number here the better the line.
2.5dbs means that the noise is actualy more than half the level of the signal. (3dbs = half power)

You should be seeing about 15db or higher here.

Do you actually hear any noise on the line when you are using the telephone and your router is turned off?
N/A

PPP problems

oo...
2.5 was around 6pm, rising to a whacking 4.5 - 5 at 8:30pm...
Its quite possible as most things on the telephone network don't appear to operate very well.. ring volume, echo.. so the higher the SNR rating the better the connection should be?

In which case it seems like a good time to have that man in a van out again.. to check the internals.. seems I am whey off..

Much as I thought, not much hidden in the basic networking.. down to them wires....

but if connecting directly to the main in socket showned no improvement would lead to me thinking the line is a little fried...
Would getting a second line in help.. or since its fed by the same cable will it be just as bad?
Community Veteran

PPP problems

You shouldn't need a second line. ADSL is supposed to ork on your existing line while still allowing the line to work as normal. Also as you say a second line would very likely use the same route and cables as the existing one.

I think that you need to get BT to have a look at it and clear the fault.
N/A

PPP problems

Pretty much.. increase the SNR.. 9pm.. its staggered out to about 8.0... well getting there.. hardly what u would call always on..

If only there was a simple solution to getting some one out to look at this..

Bt services say talk to there ADSL branch who happen to have no connection other than to sell u adsl.. who then say u can't talk to anyone organising an engineer...

I wonder if domestic faults would want this problem.. probably not judging by passed encounters... I will get BT broadband services.. spot the pattern here....

Thanks for your time and advice, much appreciate all the input
N/A

PPP problems

BT themselves will not talk to the customer regarding ADSL faults.

You have to do this via the ISP you are connected too.

If at all possible, when you get a low SNR, try removing the face plat of your master socket, and pluging the modem directly into the inner socket.

Is the SNR any btter there?
N/A

PPP problems

yeah man 25 SNR 55Loop Att
N/A

PPP problems

er what did i just do.. read that took screwdrewer threw it in the works...
um ok I did just unwire the extensions.. hmm, phone adsl phone... :? engineer monday....
N/A

PPP problems

Sorry, your reply made very little sense here.

Are you saying the SNR is far better when using the inner socket of the master?

If so, this points to bad internal wireing of your house.
N/A

PPP problems

yes when wired directly into the main socket SNR is 25, with loop att of 55
which means i'll be re wiring my house =(
Community Veteran

PPP problems

which means i'll be re wiring my house =(

Oh well thats the bad news. Cry
The good news is it looks like you've found the fault and should be able to resolve it. Smiley