cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[POLL] PlusNet's speed and dwnload restrictions let us down

N/A

I posted a very similar message in a reply to another topic before I realised I should have started my own topic! Very sorry about this. Please read on.

I think - in terms of retaining customers - the new "Clean Usage" restrictions are a joke. Demand for "uncapped" ISPs are increasing with organisations such as Anticap appearing in numbers. My point is not (only) to whine about the new and foolish restrictions, but to emphasise that in the business environment, PlusNet have - in my honest opinion - made a wrong move.

I've already contacted PlusNet about how they're going to lose users over this and I urge ALL of you to do ths same! PlusNet are a very good ISP, cheap, reliable, fast - but with limits of 15 - 20gb for P2P usage a month, it's absolutely unnaceptable compared to similar ISPs who offer UNLIMITED (!!) broadband for only a few quid cheaper.

I know people argue that "heavy users" will dominate the bandwidth, however, if you consider that the average ("light") user will reportedly only be using less than 11gb of bandwith per month, then he or she must only be using fairly non-intensive browsing features. Therefore it would make sense that even with the slight hampering of the bandwidth by "heavy" users, the average user should not especially notice any great change, and both type of user are left happy with the service!

I had no problems with the last version of the Fair Usage policy - download up to 100gb a month or be warned! That was fine, since I could get away with that without my speed being reduced by four times.

What are some other ISPs who offer truly unlimited broadband (at least 2mb) for around the same price as PlusNet? I know UKonline do and Demon, but their speed and reliability isn't as good as PlusNet's on ADSLGuide. I would ABSOLUTELY LOVE to stick with PlusNet as they are really fantastic, but alas, 20gb of P2P usage is just an absolute joke!

If you could let me know some good, established *unlimited* ISPs I would be very gratetful. Thanks.
14 REPLIES
N/A

I run a Linux Users Group and as such use FTP to download DVD ISOs of Linux distributions, a completely legitimate use. Plus net have completely shafted me with this. They didn't send me any warning mails about the policy change and even admitted they didn't, then kept capping me and uncapping me every few hours while they argued between departments. Plus.net used to be one if the best ISPs in the UK. Their customer support staff have shouted at my wife during a normal conversation over this, they have turned into a totally uncivil operation. I speculate they are just trying to get more money out of punters to buy out more ISPs, shafting they loyal ones in the process. I will now recommend my clients elsewhere.
N/A

I also have many legitimate uses for P2P which have been affected.

I have noticed that other ISPs offering "Unlimited" services are UK Online, Demon and Eclipse Internetalthough their contention ratios are 50:1 instead of PlusNet's 30:1. However, the vast majority of BT Exchanges operate on contentions of 50:1, so unless you live in an area where the internet is not widely used, a 30:1 contention will not help you since this contention will only be applied after your signals have travelled through BT's 50:1 level.

Also, be aware the Tiscali offer "Unlimited" traffic *with a Fair Usage policy of 50gb*, so avoid them! If anyone has any other suggestions please speak up!

[Moderator's note by Mark (pcsni): Full quote of preceeding post removed as it is unnecessary and against the rules]
N/A

When you say 20gig of usuage i gather this is only peak time & not as a whole which i believe to be still 100gig. correct me if im wrong. Im not happy about this one bit as i found the previous system yoyaly adaquit. Bad move plusnet Cry
N/A

Yeah, you are correct. The new limits (starting at 20gb) apply to P2P, FTP, Usenet or File Sharing bandwidth from 8AM - 12 MIDNIGHT. I also found the last system adequate but this new limit time is hardly a short period.
N/A

Well I have only used 16GB on and 16GB off peak so far. 20GB of the total if FTP, so that it is anytime in my case.
The rest of that is IMAP and web and a couple of hundred meg of SCP.
sinewave
Grafter

I agree with the general sentiments so far. 20GB is pretty tight even if its during peak time. I can only conclude that either plusnet have an unusually high proportion of leechers or they are just cramming as many people as they can get away with, onto inadequate bandwidth for maximum profit.

I guess they'd argue that it works out to be nearly a CD's worth of data a day (ie 20GB/30 days in a month) which isn't a bad quota, but it doesn't allow for that one-off "heavy usage month". I wouldn't mind soooo much if heavy use resulted in an official email warning - ie "do it again and you get throttled" (that sounds more like the Mafia though!)

the rules are too complicated too. They DO require careful study.

I'm afraid I can't vote on the above survey. As my sentiments are not catered for. I believe Plusnet need to put controls in place to make sure bandwidth is not abused, and I don't think its realistic to have no "caps" at all. I certainly don't think they should increase restrictions!!! and the current situation is not erm... right.

For this reason I also feel the survey will tell us little about what folk think about this.

And anyway is anyone NOT going to vote for the first option!!!
N/A

I have just requested my MAC code for next month where I'll be going to Zen. It's worth the extra £10.00 a month to have utter peace of mind, plus - check out these Speed / Customer Satisfaction test results:

http://www.adslguide.org/isps/compare.asp?aol=ON&bulldog=ON&demon=ON&eclipse=ON&plusnet=ON&zen=ON&cm...

Notice how Zen shoot straight up above the rest - including our dearest PlusNet. Cheesy
N/A

i was thinking about moving to zen myself, have been for a while. I got my mac code last week but thought I'd give plusnet a chance!! they failed again and I've just completed the signup so hopefully will have everything sorted in a few days.

As far as i'm concerned they have breeched the terms of their own contract and have even admtted that .. yet they refuse to do anything to help and resolve the problems.
N/A

Got to say Zen does look good.
The only thing that worries me is will the always remian un capped??
I'm very happy with plusnet and always have been, I just think 20GB is nothing in todays internet world. I'm not saying do away with caps, just not as low as 20GB!
N/A

Zen will remain uncapped, hence why it costs a bit more. Their peers are pretty high quality too.
20GB is nothing, the automated backups from my hosting servers to my local server is more than that per month (although that uses SCP protocols).
Last month while on BB+ when they imposed a 6GB cap without any warning or notice was the shocker really, I do more than 6GB a month in POP3+IMAP. Now nothing surprises me with them.
Oh well, my migration is being processed and several of my clients are migrating shortly.
N/A

Natalie, could I please ask how long migrating takes? Will there be any downtime? I have my MAC code and so if I entered it into Zen's ordering process, could you please tell me what happens from there?

Thanks.
N/A

I have seen it take anywhere between 48 hours and a week. Any downtime is minimal, usually no more than 1 hour.
Zen have a status system that tells you every step of the migration process and how long it will take. My migration is still going through (hence I can still post here), but I only gave the MAC code yesterday.
N/A

My billing date is the 19th. Since it's the 15th today, do you think - in order for me to avoid having to pay another month's PlusNet fee - that I should try and process the migration straight away OR do you think I should pay for another month of PlusNet and migrate around this time next month?

Thanks for your advice.
N/A

i thought that the plusnet service offered unlimited downloads, have i missed something Sad ---Rob