cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PN renewed my 3 domains 3 wks in advance causing overdraft

N/A

Hi

I have 3 domains which I moved with my when I signed up for PN broadband in May.

This was (for me) a temporary arrangement as the domains are on behalf of 3 voluntary (not for profit) groups and I was waiting for a grant to come through so that I could move the web hosting and email service as it became obvious:

1) that pn email service is not compatible if you are hosting more than one domain is they do not provide pop3

2) the charge they make for domain renewal is almost 3 times as much as anywhere else.

PN did advise me my domains were due for renewal and I checked the date (31st October) so thought as grant just come through I had (at that time 4 weeks) to find a more suitable web host and email service plus domain registration.

I've just checked my bank account and I see that PN have gone ahead with the renewal even though it is not yet due.

I am extremely unhappy as their action has pre-empted the steps I was taking to make effective use of the grant money. ie it will be impossible to justify this level of expenditure on domain renewal to the grant givers, I cant afford to cover the cost myself, and moreover it is totally unnecessary to renew this early.

My previous web host etc., never did - its ridiculous - and in terms of total cost it would be better that the 3 web sites were down for a week or longer, rather than fritter the money away on PN's unreasonably high charges - which by the end of next week I would have moved away from them.

I feel they've cheated me, but I am too angry at the moment to even think of phoning and wondered it anyone has any guidelines on how I could rectify this situation, and / or is there a regulator for this 'industry' (ie like Ofwat) that I could make a formal complaint to.

I am now not only thinking of moving the web hosting and email service, but also my broadband service, which by and large has been adequate for my needs.

Desperate Deborah!!
8 REPLIES
N/A

fair enough.
Community Veteran

I have responded to your duplicate post over on the usergroup;
http://usergroup.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,3467.0.html

Sorry if it sounds less than sympathetic. But I am sure that the forums would light up if PlusNet allowed domains to expire.

Chilly
N/A

As I explained as was waiting to see if grant money would come through and as they did not say they would renew 3 weeks in advance I don't think they had the right to go ahead without advising me which day the money would leave my account.

It may be possible to renew 90 days in advance - that is irrelevant.

They failed to advise me that they would be debiting my account on the day they did.

I think you've (both) misses the point of my email.

If on 31st I had not requested they not to renew my domains that would be a different matter.

Is there a regulator for this industry?

There actions are the same as banks that somehow take 5-7 days to process a cheque whereas in fact they are earning interest on it.

Despite their own uneven service presumably even PN don't think electronic communications take 21 days which would be the only justification for their actions.

So even if you think they are okay to behave in this underhand fashion does anyone know who regulates providers like PN.

It's just a shame that voluntary sector providers who have a more ethical approach to doing business are inaccessible because of their charges.

Deborah
N/A

PS to Craig

The (both) was a reference to two responses on the User Groups (ie not yours) where they seem to have adopted a fatalistic approach to what one can (can not) expect in terms of decent levels of service.

Which is a shame as previously they have been more pro-active customer focused.

Deborah
N/A

fair enough.

was it demon you were recommending?

previously on this forum pn members thinking of moving away were suggesting macoman (based in glasgow) now fuzioned.com becuase of its very low cost and number of additinal functions offered.

have you heard of them did they come up in your research?

from looking at their forums, looks like they may have become overloaded (as did pn after number of recommendations)

it seems no one can keep up their standards.

Deborah
N/A

I have responded to your duplicate post over on the usergroup;
http://usergroup.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,3467.0.html

Sorry if it sounds less than sympathetic. But I am sure that the forums would light up if PlusNet allowed domains to expire.

Chilly

One of the business accounts I take care of recently had the same problem. At 9.26am an email was sent by PlusNet informing of domains expiration within a couple of weeks, and suggesting the clicking of the relevant link if we DID NOT require renewal.

At 9.29am the same day and email was sent by PlusNet cherily informaing us that they had renewed our domain for us and changed the overpriced amount for the privalege.

Not renewing domains automatically is one thing (although most registrars do not do it automatically) doing it with no notice is not acceptable. They were lucky to get away without being reported to our bankers on this one. Naturally we've gone elsewhere for our registrations, and given the appaling state of affairs with everything PN this days, it's quite likely that everyting else will follow.
N/A

I thought we had to choose whether domains would be renewed automatically, or whether we wished to allow them to expire?

You have not made a choice regarding your domain renewal.
Your domain, www.oneofmydomains.co.uk is set to expire on 2008-03-31
Your hosting for domain, www.oneofmydomains.co.uk is set to expire on 2007-03-31

You can find our latest pricing here (subject to T&C's)

Option 1 - To automatically renew your domain after this date, click here. This will allow you to retain your domain name.

Option 2 - To allow your domain to expire after this date, click here.

WARNING. Choosing option 2 means you will lose your domain, www.oneofmydomains.co.uk, when it expires.

Linked from the section above:
Renewing your domain
Most domains are registered for either 1 or 2 years, after which they must be renewed, at the same price as the original registration. PlusNet automatically register all domains that are due for renewal. Use this tool to confirm you want your domain renewed, or that you want to allow the domain to expire.

Based upon the text there, I would assume that the domain would be renewed if I did nothing to say otherwise.

I guess it could be argued that it was unfair to take payment and register the domains a few weeks before they expired. But PN appear to have acted in line with the info they have on their site regarding domain renewal.

Perhaps with hindsight it would have been better to ask them not to renew your domains, rather than chance that you'd be able to transfer them out before they renewed them.

Was there no mention of payment dates in the email PN sent you?
N/A

Because of advice recieved, based on email contact prior to them taking the money out of my account, I am not adding any more comments for the time being.

But will update all with final outcome.

And as others have said (and in posting made elsewhere) I intend to move my accounts not only because of this, but the lack of pop3 email accounts, unreliable statistics, unhelpful help system etc..

There surely should be not just guidelines, but regulations about people setting themselves up in business without the ability to carry out that business!

Deborah