cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PN broadband firewall

amcbride
Grafter

PN broadband firewall

I have Zone Alarm as my firewall. Perfectly happy with it. Is there any advantage to me in going to PN`s broadband firewall?
5 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

PN broadband firewall

Yes.

Unwanted traffic which bounces off Zonealarm is counted in your usage (may or may not be critical to you) - the new firewall stops it getting anywhere near your connection.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Community Veteran

PN broadband firewall

The PN firewall only blocks traffic to your PC, it does not block traffic from it. It works exactly like a router firewall allowing all traffic out but restricted traffic in.

Because the blocking is only one way - in - you still need a firewall on your PC to protect other users and yourself by blocking traffic out - i.e. viruses that may have infected your PC that are trying to infect others on the internet. SO, youi should still use Zonealarm.

If you have a router with a firewall then the PN firewall will do no more than that does - assuming the router firewall is setup correctly. If you only have a USB/PCI modem then the PN firewall is useful as it simulates you having a router firewall.

If you are a gamer or use non-standard apps/ports, then the PN firewall may interfere on the higher settings as you have no control over the ports that are blocked, unlke your own firewall where you do have control.

All I would suggest is try it at the various settings starting with the highest and see what happens. If things stop working, lower the setting and if it is still bad at the lowest setting, turn it off.

One thing I am not sure of is if the traffic blocked by the PN firewall is still included in your ADSL allowance or not.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

PN broadband firewall

Forgot to say. If you do get any "unwanted guests" on your PC that try to connect out, Zonealarm will prompt for you to allow it. The Plusnet firewall is for incoming only. You should keep the Zonealarm protection going.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
N/A

Broadband firewall

To follow up on this thread, if the PN firewall is switched on will this slow down incoming traffic? I have Norton 2007 Firewall running and have been told that the Norton programme is a pretty hefty piece of work and so I presume is already slowing me down.

Chris
N/A

PN broadband firewall

Locked in favour of the existing thread discussing the Plusnet Broadband Firewall here.