cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PN admits the supplied modem is not suitable to run all day

Barry_Doe
Grafter

I recently posted a query as a new boy to ADSL asking if a lost connection every other day was reasonable. (I'm on lite, use the Voyager modem and am on 1mb). I only had a few replies but most suggested it was not.

I asked support and to my amazement this is what they say:

"This is certainly not unusual - many users suffer drop outs multiple times per day, so yours is not necessarily indicative of a problem. This is particularly the case if you are using the supplied USB modem - which isn't really designed for length sessions. An ethernet router typically provides that level of connection stability."

Now there is nothing on the page we use for upgrading to suggest that the Voyager USB modem is "not designed for length sessions" and I wonder how many users know this.

All we are told is that we can download 1mb per month - indeed as much as we like if we pay £2 per mb extra, which is very fair. The Voyager is even recomended for the Premier product.

I don't download much but I do want my connection on all day running 'Poppy' which checks every few minutes if I have emails. Is that really asking much of broadband?

I repeat from earlier emails that I am happy with the upgrade and merely wanted to know if a lost connection every day or so is to be expected. I really didn't expect PlusNet, however, to admit it was and virtually blame the very modem they supply!

What do other users/potential users think?

Barry
11 REPLIES
N/A

Re: PN admits the supplied modem is not suitable to run all

What do other users/potential users think?

Not much use I know, but I generally stay clear of USB products for this kind of thing...
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Thats common knowledge. PCI and USB modems have always been a problem as there dependant on the Host pc for power and stability.

They have bad drivers for XP, usually the Conexant chipset based PCI/USB modems are the worst.

USB power issues as most take power from the pc, there not self powered.

Then theres the poor load the CPU on the modem its self can handle. Some can get flooded by ICMP/query requests and lockup, requiring a reboot of the PC. Usually that P2P that causes it but games can as well.
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
michaelscott
Grafter

My Zoom 5510 USB modem never had a problem with being always on. PlusNet should not be supplying a modem that is not fit for its task: delivering an always on broadband connection.
N/A

First I've heard of anythimg like this. Sure, as others have said, there can be problems with the USB if it's on a shared hub and draws a lot of power, and again routers seem to be the way to go, but there is no reason why a USB modem should not provde a stable connection.

I use the speedtouch frog, have done for 3 years, and never had any probems ike that at all.
N/A

There have been lots of posting the past regarding USB modems, but it does depend on the chipset on the board and the power supplier as well.

I would say a router is a better way to go, since not only is it self powered, you don't need drivers on your PC and most contain hardware firewalls.

Aaron
N/A

Well have been on a PCI modem for nearly two years never have had any problems with it, also there is a better ping ms on PCI.
N/A

There have been lots of posting the past regarding USB modems, but it does depend on the chipset on the board and the power supplier as well.

I would say a router is a better way to go, since not only is it self powered, you don't need drivers on your PC and most contain hardware firewalls.

Aaron
Don't disagree with that at all, but I have never heard of a USB modem being described as 'not suitable for lengthy connection periods' on an 'always-on' connection, have you?
N/A

but I have never heard of a USB modem being described as 'not suitable for lengthy connection periods' on an 'always-on' connection, have you?

To be honest, neither have I, this is the first time I've heard that subject mentioned.

Hi nmcclurkin, I only said a router was a better way to go, not THE way to go lol
and it's only how I feel. I've just personally found using a router much easier since you don't need to log in every time, I don't need to have extra drivers and it's got a pretty good firewall on it as well.
However there are different approches on this, and if a PCI modem works well for you then great.

Aaron
Community Veteran

I think what the CS agent was trying to say was USB modems have a higher tendancy to drop out more of if it stays connected for long periods than say PCI or External routers because they are suseptable to many more outside influences (many of which have been stated above).

It not because the modem has been on for a long of time, it's things like bad drivers, power issues and CPU load (as well as exchange sync problems) that can and probably do effect it at some point. An external router can also disconnect but that is often due to line noise or Exchange sync issues rather than drivers, power and CPU issues.
N/A

From my experience it's not the modem or PC that is at fault but the service supplied. I've used my USB modem for 2 years when I was with Wanadoo and I could leave my PC non stop without a reboot for more than a week. Since I moved to PN (I continue to use the same modem and PC) I have to reboot mostly once a day as something happens to the connection.
flicker
Grafter

When I signed up for broadband in October, I bought the Plusnet startup pack which was the Voyager usb modem. I had no end of trouble with my laptop overheating, freezing, blue screen, wouldnt connect, couldnt shut down, etc etc. After lots and lots of advice from various kind people on different forums and phone calls to others which cost me a fortune, it was generally agreed that it was the modem. I have now gone for a wireless modem/router and have had no more bother. So I wasted £30 + on this modem. Sad