cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PDF downloading problem

N/A

PDF downloading problem

I have been having a problem with downloading PDF files from the Internet.
When I try to open or download a PDF file from the Internet, it just does not open or gets stuck at the "99% downloaded" stage.
It tends to happen to large files and not to small files (such as 100K).
It is causing me a lot of stress as I need to switch to a dial-up modem whenever I need to download large PDF files. (Yes, they can be downloaded perfectly fine with the dial-up)
Does anybody have the same problem or know what may be causing it?
13 REPLIES
the_norris
Grafter

PDF downloading problem

Sounds to me that Adobe is waiting for a response from you - get licence agreement or update request.

Had this problem my self - was small dialog box the open in the background asking for user input.

I fixed this be downloading a PDF to desktop first. (Right click 'save target as...')

Then closed down all open windows. Then double clicked to PDF file fromt he desktop. then I could see the hiden window. It was an update request.

It may not do this on dial-up due to the slow speed ?

Give it a try.

Phil
Community Veteran

PDF downloading problem

What windows version are you running?

What browser and version are you using?

What version of Adobe reader are you using?

Have you tried downloading the latest adobe reader to see if that fixes it?

Make sure you have all windows updates installed and your running the latest version of your browser.
N/A

PDF downloading problem

Thanks for the suggestions Phil.

However, I already tried updating Acrobat and all that, but still it was no good.
I've got the same version of Acrobat on my computer at work and I could access any PDF files.
But at home (where I use Plusnet ADSL), I cannot either open or download the very same files.
And also the fact that I can open and download this file when I am using the dial-up makes me suspect that it may be the connection, not the software, which is causing the problem.

For example, this is the file which I tried to download and could not (with the ADSL line):
www.environment-agency.gov.uk/commondata/acrobat/ag_wast1_588579.pdf

In fact, when I tried to open and Excel file earlier, it crashed too. It seems like it does not like anything but HTML files.

And to Peter,

> What windows version are you running?
XP Home SP1
(I refuse to upgrade it to SP2 because when I did it, it caused a lot of problems to my LAN and I had to reinstall Windows in the end.)
I tried with my Win 98 laptop too, but the result was same.

> What browser and version are you using?
IE 6.0

> What version of Adobe reader are you using?
> Have you tried downloading the latest adobe reader to see if that fixes it?
I normally use 6.0 and upgraded it to 7.0 but it still did not work.

Well, it is annoying but at least I know I can reach these files via dial-up...
Hope it is only a temporary problem.

Thanks anyway.

Kas
the_norris
Grafter

PDF downloading problem

Hi Kas

I tried to open that PDF link directly - the file is corrupt - thats what Adobe says.

But if I do a Save As on the link then open it from disk -works fine.

Is the Excel file on hte same site?

Phil
N/A

PDF downloading problem

have right clicked to save, downloaded fine, and just clicked on it, it came up fine also, strange
holdtight
Grafter

PDF downloading problem

Yep me too ! opening it directly its just a blank page with the usual "Done"
in the corner
right clicking "save target as" (which i always do with pdf`s you get to read them quicker) it stops dead at the last 1 second of download time and wont go any further, had to cancel the download tried it four times, V strange

ive just had a quick browse around and downloaded a few others
with no problem

Kas is it all pdf`s your having trouble with or just this one ?
Community Veteran

PDF downloading problem

I can access the pdf link fine, but I am using Mozilla 1.7.6 & adobe reader v6

Looks like a problem with IE6 & Adobe reader v6. I get the same as above with the latest IE6 under XP SP2.
holdtight
Grafter

PDF downloading problem

Similar config to you Peter but i recently reverted back to v.5.05 of reader
so possibly not a conflict with v.6 ??

TBO i dont know !
N/A

PDF downloading problem

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your comments.

As I mentioned earlier,

1) I could not download this file with Plusnet ADSL line (512K) onto my XP SP1 machine with Acrobat 6.0

2) I could download this file with dial-up onto the same XP SP1 machine without updating or changing any configurations

3) I could not download this file when I used my Win98 machine (with Acrobat 6.0) via Plusnet ADSL line

4) I updated Acrobat, Windows XP (not to SP2, but downloaded all the security patches for SP1) and IE 6.0 and still cannot download it via Plusnet ADSL line

From 3) and 4), I somehow don't think that it is OS/SW/HW-related.

> Phil

It is interesting that the file is corrupted... How did you know that?
Did Acrobat give you a message when you were opening it?

> Bill

Hooray, finally somebody with the same problem!
It is not with all PDF files, but some random ones - so maybe as Phil said, they may be corrupted. (Still does not explain why other people can download them and we can't though)
One thing, I live in Surrey too - coudl that possibly be the cause!?

Anyway, I don't really know what's going on either!!

Kas
the_norris
Grafter

PDF downloading problem

> Phil

It is interesting that the file is corrupted... How did you know that?
Did Acrobat give you a message when you were opening it?

Adobe error message said this

Phil
holdtight
Grafter

PDF downloading problem

Hooray, finally somebody with the same problem!
It is not with all PDF files, but some random ones - so maybe as Phil said, they may be corrupted. (Still does not explain why other people can download them and we can't though)
One thing, I live in Surrey too - coudl that possibly be the cause!?

Hi Kas

the fact we both live in the surrey area will have no relevence to this, the link you provided is still playing up and i would say as Phil did that its more to do with corruption

when you say its random pdf`s you have probs with is it random from across all the net or pdf`s your trying to access from the same site ?

The only pdf ive had trouble downloading was corrupt and this was some time ago (apart from this one ) so its not an ongoing problem for me as it seems to be for you

maybe you could provide another link for a file you cant access and i can try that one too !
mitchell20
Grafter

PDF downloading problem

I can download the PDF file using Download Accelerator. it opens up fine after downloading. I'm using Acrobat reader 6.0.3 with IE 6 and WinXP SP2. It just wont open in IE6 or download using IE6

Regards
pcorker
Grafter

PDF downloading problem

I couldn't open it from the link so I went to Adobe and clicked on Download Reader 7. This started a download process headed Reader 6.0.2. When I installed it I got a splash for Reader 2.0.2a and a Reader Window headed Reader CE.

Strange!

Anyway, 6.0.2a CE still does not open the link for me but does open other stuff much faster than 6.0.1 so I am grateful to you for making me update and sorry I can't help!