cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PCI modem on same IRQ as audio & graphic cards

N/A

PCI modem on same IRQ as audio & graphic cards

I'm up an running on Broadband, thanks to all who've replied to my posts to get me this far. Hopefully this might be my last posting asking for help.

I installed the Conexant PCI modem and latest drivers. Once installed I could get an active line but not connect into PlusNet. I then uninstalled drivers, moved the card to another PCI Slot and reinstalled drivers. This sorted the problem and I'm now using BB (576Kb/288Kb).

I thought all was OK but then the system was starting to grind to a halt and run very slow. I checked the hardware settings out and found I have three physical devices using the same IRQ!

IRQ 5 - NVIDIA GeForce2
IRQ 5 - Creative AudioPCI
IRQ 5 - Conexant AccessRunner Arbitration Device
IRQ 5 - Conexant AccessRunner Interface Device

No wonder there's contention for resource. No conflicts are shown in Device Manager but they are all shown as sharing in the System Info.

I thought I'd be able to manually set IRQ's for each device to ensure each physical device had it's own IRQ (as I used to in Win9Cool but I don't know how to do this in XP.

Can you help me out again and suggest how I can reassign IRQ's please? Should I reinstall the audio and grpahic card drivers and hope they go to differnt IRQ's?

Thanks, Kevin.
3 REPLIES
N/A

RE: PCI modem on same IRQ as audio & graphic cards

I know it's bad form to reply to your own message but I just found this on the MS website:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q314068

It basically says XP is designed to share IRQ's and they can't be reassigned. D'oh!

So...anyone know why my system is now working but slow following the PCI modem being installed? I sssume it's still an IRQ issue and am tempted to reinstall the sound and graphic cards. Is it worth it.

Ta, Kevin.
N/A

Ypu dont giv eus much to go on like what the pc is motherboard etc.
Yes irq can be shared ok. Modern boards can have 20 irq's so have no problems.

You force the irqs on the MB Bios as most boards let you set the irq for each slot.

How is the pc running slow? Is the hard disk thrashing? Is the cpu at 100%? What ram is free?

You need to narrow down were the problem is Cpu, HD, memory then you can start to look at what is going on. How many things have you got in your tray? in Taskmanager what is hogging the CPU most. Is the hard disk badly fragmented?

If you give us a clue on these we may be able to help

> I'm up an running on Broadband, thanks to all who've replied to my posts to get me this far. Hopefully this might be my last posting asking for help.
>
> I installed the Conexant PCI modem and latest drivers. Once installed I could get an active line but not connect into PlusNet. I then uninstalled drivers, moved the card to another PCI Slot and reinstalled drivers. This sorted the problem and I'm now using BB (576Kb/288Kb).
>
> I thought all was OK but then the system was starting to grind to a halt and run very slow. I checked the hardware settings out and found I have three physical devices using the same IRQ!
>
> IRQ 5 - NVIDIA GeForce2
> IRQ 5 - Creative AudioPCI
> IRQ 5 - Conexant AccessRunner Arbitration Device
> IRQ 5 - Conexant AccessRunner Interface Device
>
> No wonder there's contention for resource. No conflicts are shown in Device Manager but they are all shown as sharing in the System Info.
>
> I thought I'd be able to manually set IRQ's for each device to ensure each physical device had it's own IRQ (as I used to in Win9Cool but I don't know how to do this in XP.
>
> Can you help me out again and suggest how I can reassign IRQ's please? Should I reinstall the audio and grpahic card drivers and hope they go to differnt IRQ's?
>
> Thanks, Kevin.

N/A

> Ypu dont giv eus much to go on like what the pc is motherboard etc.
> Yes irq can be shared ok. Modern boards can have 20 irq's so have no problems.
>
> You force the irqs on the MB Bios as most boards let you set the irq for each slot.
>
> How is the pc running slow? Is the hard disk thrashing? Is the cpu at 100%? What ram is free?
>
> You need to narrow down were the problem is Cpu, HD, memory then you can start to look at what is going on. How many things have you got in your tray? in Taskmanager what is hogging the CPU most. Is the hard disk badly fragmented?
>
> If you give us a clue on these we may be able to help
>
>
> > I'm up an running on Broadband, thanks to all who've replied to my posts to get me this far. Hopefully this might be my last posting asking for help.
> >
> > I installed the Conexant PCI modem and latest drivers. Once installed I could get an active line but not connect into PlusNet. I then uninstalled drivers, moved the card to another PCI Slot and reinstalled drivers. This sorted the problem and I'm now using BB (576Kb/288Kb).
> >
> > I thought all was OK but then the system was starting to grind to a halt and run very slow. I checked the hardware settings out and found I have three physical devices using the same IRQ!
> >
> > IRQ 5 - NVIDIA GeForce2
> > IRQ 5 - Creative AudioPCI
> > IRQ 5 - Conexant AccessRunner Arbitration Device
> > IRQ 5 - Conexant AccessRunner Interface Device
> >
> > No wonder there's contention for resource. No conflicts are shown in Device Manager but they are all shown as sharing in the System Info.
> >
> > I thought I'd be able to manually set IRQ's for each device to ensure each physical device had it's own IRQ (as I used to in Win9Cool but I don't know how to do this in XP.
> >
> > Can you help me out again and suggest how I can reassign IRQ's please? Should I reinstall the audio and grpahic card drivers and hope they go to differnt IRQ's?
> >
> > Thanks, Kevin.
>
>

ECS K7S5A m/b (fairly common)
Duron 1.2
256Mb
Disk defragged, 14Gb free
When running slow I see CPU at 100% rather than loads of disk activity.

I'll check m/b bois to see if that will make a difference although I must admit the system hasn't misbehaved since I posted the article! Typical. I will monitor.

Thanks, Kevin