cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PCI Modem goes 'tick tock!'

N/A

PCI Modem goes 'tick tock!'

Hi,

I received my PCI modem today. I installed it but when I turned my PC on I could hear the modem constantly making "tick tock" noises! Windows recognised the modem and I installed the drivers, but I haven't done the rest of the setup because I don't like the noise its making!

It's the kind of noise you get just before you dial up using a 56k... just before you get the dial tone you hear that "click!". Every 6 or 7 secs it will click twice (as if it's clicking on and off) - is this normal? It just does it even when there are no programs open at all. The computer will be idle doing nothing and it will just keep clicking!

I checked that the card was in correctly and I'm 99% sure that it is. It is slotted in and screwed down so it's in firmly. I took it out and put it in again just to make sure and I get the same thing.

I just put my old 56k modem back in the slot and it works fine.

Did anyone else experience this clicking/ticking when they installed a PCI modem? Is it normal? What should I do about it - just leave it clicking and continue the setup?

At the moment I am back to using my 56k.

Help really appreciated!
2 REPLIES
N/A

RE: PCI Modem goes 'tick tock!'

> Hi,
>
> I received my PCI modem today. I installed it but when I turned my PC on I could hear the modem constantly making "tick tock" noises! Windows recognised the modem and I installed the drivers, but I haven't done the rest of the setup because I don't like the noise its making!
>
> It's the kind of noise you get just before you dial up using a 56k... just before you get the dial tone you hear that "click!". Every 6 or 7 secs it will click twice (as if it's clicking on and off) - is this normal? It just does it even when there are no programs open at all. The computer will be idle doing nothing and it will just keep clicking!
>
> I checked that the card was in correctly and I'm 99% sure that it is. It is slotted in and screwed down so it's in firmly. I took it out and put it in again just to make sure and I get the same thing.
>
> I just put my old 56k modem back in the slot and it works fine.
>
> Did anyone else experience this clicking/ticking when they installed a PCI modem? Is it normal? What should I do about it - just leave it clicking and continue the setup?
>
> At the moment I am back to using my 56k.
>
> Help really appreciated!

I have got mine today. I had the same problem at first. The click happened every time the modem tried to connect which was about every 5 seconds.
I changed all the settings in the control panel until I found one that worked. The one that worked for me was to change the modulation from G.dmt to ANSI T1.413 i2. I Know this is not what it says in the set up guide but I am now working fine.

Hope this helps

N/A

RE: PCI Modem goes 'tick tock!'

> I have got mine today. I had the same problem at first. The click happened every time the modem tried to connect which was about every 5 seconds.
> I changed all the settings in the control panel until I found one that worked. The one that worked for me was to change the modulation from G.dmt to ANSI T1.413 i2. I Know this is not what it says in the set up guide but I am now working fine.
>
> Hope this helps
>

Excellent work, it's fixed mine to! A packet of Smarties to that man.

:-)