cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PCI Modem Install Problem

N/A

PCI Modem Install Problem

Hi
Has anyone had any problems getting the 'Self Install' Conextant PCI modem to install.My friend has just received his pack and we cannot get the modem to fully install.He is running Win98 and the install goes fine until the very end after taking files from the Windows98 disc.The box appears asking you to restart the PC to finish the installation and the mouse freezes.No option but to hit the restart button and then the PC locks up during boot up at the Win 98 screen.The only way to get the PC booted is to remove the PCI modem. Any idea's welcome please.
5 REPLIES
N/A

RE: PCI Modem Install Problem

> Hi
> Has anyone had any problems getting the 'Self Install' Conextant PCI modem to install.My friend has just received his pack and we cannot get the modem to fully install.He is running Win98 and the install goes fine until the very end after taking files from the Windows98 disc.The box appears asking you to restart the PC to finish the installation and the mouse freezes.No option but to hit the restart button and then the PC locks up during boot up at the Win 98 screen.The only way to get the PC booted is to remove the PCI modem. Any idea's welcome please.

Duff modem? it is not unknown.

--
Reset
N/A

Humm,

I think I'm hitting the same problem - I'm running. Did your friend get this resolved, if so how?

> Hi
> Has anyone had any problems getting the 'Self Install' Conextant PCI modem to install.My friend has just received his pack and we cannot get the modem to fully install.He is running Win98 and the install goes fine until the very end after taking files from the Windows98 disc.The box appears asking you to restart the PC to finish the installation and the mouse freezes.No option but to hit the restart button and then the PC locks up during boot up at the Win 98 screen.The only way to get the PC booted is to remove the PCI modem. Any idea's welcome please.

N/A

> Hi
>Awaiting arrival of replacement PCI modem from Plusnet. They say they have not had this problem reported before and suggested trying another PCI socket which I already had of course. We will see what happens with the new modem!
N/A

Hi, I had a similar problem, then realised the problem was that I had left the modem card in place when I added the ADSL PCI card. When rebooting windows got confused and would freeze. Solution easy - just take out the PCI modem card and reboot - everything fine now.

> Hi

N/A

Hi Paul
Thanks for your info on removing the existing modem. I will give it a try when I install the replacement PCI modem.
I have tried so many things I have lost track of what I've actually done. I don't think I have tried removing the existing modem PCB prior to installing the new PCI ADSL modem so you could be on to something there.
My thinking was to try to leave the existing modem installed so my friend could still access the net if the ADSL was not working for any reason.
Thanks
Ron Jones