cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PCI Chipset

N/A

PCI Chipset

Hi There,

I know this is a long shot, but I am convinced there must be *someone* who can help me out there.

I have started to dip my toe in the murky waters on Linux. In particular Red Hat 8. I have read lots of information about the trials and tribulations of trying to get the Conexant PCI chipset working, but I think I have finally found a document that is directly to do with Conexant and is fairly easy to follow.

The doc I have found refers to either a Yukon or Tigris based chipset, does anyone know which the Plusnet supplied ones are? (The newer one!) I have looked directly at the chip and there are no clues there.

Also, if anyone has any wise words or clues to help my quest, they would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Dave
5 REPLIES
N/A

RE: PCI Chipset

> I know this is a long shot, but I am convinced there must be *someone* who can help me out there.

I certainly hope so....

> I have started to dip my toe in the murky waters on Linux. In particular Red Hat 8. I have read lots of information about the trials and tribulations of trying to get the Conexant PCI chipset working, but I think I have finally found a document that is directly to do with Conexant and is fairly easy to follow.

My advice would be against Redhat, personally. I haven't used it but from what *I* can tell it is user-friendly certainly but has quite a lot of quirks in it. Most the advice I have heard says Mandrake or Debian is the distro of choice for newbies. Of course I only found this out once I had started with slackware!

> The doc I have found refers to either a Yukon or Tigris based chipset, does anyone know which the Plusnet supplied ones are? (The newer one!) I have looked directly at the chip and there are no clues there.

I think I know the document, and the modme I have works with this info. However the doc was not a LOT of help....

> Also, if anyone has any wise words or clues to help my quest, they would be gratefully received.

thats all I can say really, oh and aftere spending month, literally (got it in august) last month myself and a friend have the pci conexant working like a beauty. www.xplinth.plus.com for details and the package that is fairly automated.... If you do use it, any comments would be greatly appreciated (we are trying to write a HOW-TO)

--
Si
N/A

> If you do use it, any comments would be greatly appreciated (we are trying to write a HOW-TO)

Hi Si,

If you do complete your HOW-TO then feel free to let me know if you would like us to link to it from the portal, or even add it as a help page...

Regards,

Ian Wild
PlusNet Customer Support
N/A

> > I know this is a long shot, but I am convinced there must be *someone* who can help me out there.
>
> I certainly hope so....
>
> > I have started to dip my toe in the murky waters on Linux. In particular Red Hat 8. I have read lots of information about the trials and tribulations of trying to get the Conexant PCI chipset working, but I think I have finally found a document that is directly to do with Conexant and is fairly easy to follow.
>
> My advice would be against Redhat, personally. I haven't used it but from what *I* can tell it is user-friendly certainly but has quite a lot of quirks in it. Most the advice I have heard says Mandrake or Debian is the distro of choice for newbies. Of course I only found this out once I had started with slackware!
>
> > The doc I have found refers to either a Yukon or Tigris based chipset, does anyone know which the Plusnet supplied ones are? (The newer one!) I have looked directly at the chip and there are no clues there.
>
> I think I know the document, and the modme I have works with this info. However the doc was not a LOT of help....
>
> > Also, if anyone has any wise words or clues to help my quest, they would be gratefully received.
>
> thats all I can say really, oh and aftere spending month, literally (got it in august) last month myself and a friend have the pci conexant working like a beauty. www.xplinth.plus.com for details and the package that is fairly automated.... If you do use it, any comments would be greatly appreciated (we are trying to write a HOW-TO)
>

Cheers Si,

That's some cracking info, kind of reaffirms my belief in human kind! ;o)

Since I risked my ass downloading and burning the RH8 ISO's at work, I'm going to try and stick with it for the moment, but I will heed the advice and Mandrake may not be far behind.

Thanks again, time to reboot into Linux and give iot a whirl. I think this may be a late night.

Dave
N/A

Dave,
I've recently ventured into Linux aswell, however, I've given Mandrake and SuSE a whirl.
I found Andrew Lord's document to be the most help with Linux (Mandrake) and he has recently updated it from my experiences.
The Tigris drivers you refer to are 'supposedly' written for Red Hat, however, I would suggest given Mandrake a try and follwoing Andrew's instructions at http://members.tripod.com/alord/pciadsl/pciadsl.html
If you try Mandrake, Andrew also respinds to questions posted at alt.os.mandrake.linux (?).
If you would like me to talk you through it (over the phone), I would be more than happy to. Drop me an e-mail.
Regards
Rob
N/A

> Cheers Si,
>
> That's some cracking info, kind of reaffirms my belief in human kind! ;o)
>
> Since I risked my ass downloading and burning the RH8 ISO's at work, I'm going to try and stick with it for the moment, but I will heed the advice and Mandrake may not be far behind.
>
> Thanks again, time to reboot into Linux and give iot a whirl. I think this may be a late night.
>
> Dave

I can re-affirm Si's comments on RedHat and the Conexant drivers, although they seem to be drivers that work well with older kernel versions I had no luck with RedHat 8.0 but good luck! (PS Mandrake 8.1 and the drivers Si provides work beautifully)