cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PCI ADSL internal modem

N/A

PCI ADSL internal modem

I am thinking of swapping my US Robotics Modem for an Internal PCI ADSL modem. Better latency mainly and it clutters up my desk Cheesy .

Any recommendations?
3 REPLIES
N/A

PCI ADSL internal modem

I have had a usb and a pci modem - to be honest I prefer the usb modem, the ping/latency isn't apparent to me, I get the same results regardless of whether it is internal or external. I have had problems with pci modems dropping the line, you run into IRQ conflicts and that sort of issue, as well as conflicts with the Creative sound cards that hog the pci bus. I use a Zoom USB modem and it runs perfectly.
N/A

PCI ADSL internal modem

I've been using a PCI ADSL modem for ages now (Its an old Speedstream 3060 I think), and it works fine Smiley
N/A

PCI ADSL internal modem

Also if you like putting your pc into standby mode instead of shutting down completely, you may find that a pci modem wont wake up when you restart your pc and you have to go and do a reset anyway. I had this problem with the internal pci modem (dynamode) plusnet supplied me when i joined up. I now have a router which is far more reliable and is connected 24/7 so i dont have any wake up problems.

Dont buy really cheap routers if you intend using P2P software or you may have problems at some point in the future.

Andy.