cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PCI ADSL Modem uses up to 50MB per day when switched off!

N/A

According to PlusNet my PCI ADSL modem will cause bandwidth usage to be recorded on my account even though it is switched off, inside a computer that is also swithed off.

I find this hard to believe! Can anyone explain the physical connection between an unpowered modem and the ADSL line, and how this might be interpreted as traffic?

They (PlusNet) are also unable to explain the gaming and internet telephone traffic that has appeared on my usage charts. I have never used any online gaming service, and have never made an internet telephone call, yet data is recorded in both these sections on the web portal.

Has anyone seen similar irregularities on their usage data?

Any ideas on why/how it is happening, and how to stop it?

Thanks

Stuart
12 REPLIES
Fixes: 115

Hi

Since I was restricted heavily for going over the download limit just once since I joined PN over 3.5 years ago I now check my Usage stats and, having read your message here, now check everything and see that I have Gaming and Broadband phonecall usage in both off and peak periods.

I have never played on-line games and do not used Broadband phone calls so am a little concerned at seeing these figues.

I have opened a ticket enquiring why this is showing and asked PN to reset to zero.

I will let you know of the outcome.

P.S.

During the period I was restricted on speed I noticed the speed restrictions coming into force at 4pm but never got lifted till around 3am.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

N/A

Don't worry about odd bits of bandwidth being used by various protocols you don't use theoughout the month, as long as the amounts are small, they are caused by "background noise" on the internet leaking through to your line. Its perfectly normal and expected. (as long as the figures remain small)

@stu79
Seems a physical impossibility to me. I suspect there is a little confusion somewhere. There is no way that a powered off modem (of any type -external or internal) can use any bandwidth. If there is no power, there is no sync - no sync = no data.
Where did you read about this? Would really like to see a link if poss.
N/A

I didn't read about an unpowered modem transfering data, I was told this by a plus net representative in a reply to a ticket i raised about bandwidth usage.

After several replies, they are still unable to offer me a good reason why data transfer has been recoded against my account whilst my computer is switched off.

Suart

P.S. A little background on my issue:

My computer has been switched off and unusable since 8th May (disk failure) but data transfer was recorded on my account for several days afer that. shortly after I raised a ticket, my usage shot down to zero each day...
N/A

I've had 67Mb of VOIP traffic on my account before I even activated my plustalk account. 67MB is a little more than 'background noise'. Since I raised the ticket it has not increased.

The conspiracy theorist in me is thinking that Plus Net are dropping chunks of bandwidth into people figures to keep their download limits even lower.
N/A

The conspiracy theorist in me is thinking that Plus Net are dropping chunks of bandwidth into people figures to keep their download limits even lower.

I agree, and for the average user who does a bit of everything, a few MB here and there will probably not be noticed, but will shorten the time before limits are imposed.

I only noticed mine because my computer was off for over a week, no idea how ling it has been going on..

Tech support could not give me a reason, but did re-set my usage. Not really the point, I wanted to know why it was happening, and so far nobody can say.

Stuart
oliverb
Grafter

But OFF PEAK???

OK so I read this thread thought I'd check out our own figures. This is a Business account, so anything that happens online happens between 7:30am and 5pm weekdays.

So what do I see?? Far more off-peak usage than peak usage. That's like totally crazy. I was willing to overlook the inexplicable weekend activity as "background noise" but this is ridiculous!!!

Note that the system wasn't actually switched off overnight so I'm willing to entertain the possibility of undetected spyware chewing up gigabytes of usage but it's farfetched.
N/A

peak time starts at 4pm so you are only 'active' for 1 hour a day in peak time. The rest of your working day is off peak. (midnight - 4pm)

DAz
N/A

My theory on this is that PlusNet are including all data that is attempting to be sent to your machine by things that don't know its turned off (spam drones, people checking to see if you're running a webserver, mail server, anything else they can try and sneek a virus through) and regardless of the fact the data never got there it at some point went passed the usage counting gizmo and got counted.

Although, like i say its just a theory.
oliverb
Grafter

Thanks Kuffs I really misread it in a big way.

That all makes sense now, I hadn't bothered to read the definition of "peak" and assumed it was like phone line peak times.

Oh and I had another look at our weekend bandwidth and what I thought was 263M was actually 263K (important difference).
N/A

PN recording usage on turned off wireless router

Evil

Read all this!

I just cannot get a sensible answer out of PN.

Your usage tables are WRONG!

I turned off my broadband router last night before midnight and only turned it on again this morning (Saturday) at 9am.

BUT you have recorded my off peak use as 4.9MB - see below

HOW IS THATHuhHuhHuhHuhHuh

This casts doubt on the accuracy of all your stored data.

PLEASE ADVISE ASAP. NB - an accurate reply please, not, some standard phrase telling me how accurate your system is.

Keith.

View my broadband usage
Summary Jun 03 2006
Broadband Premier

Peak usage: 8.28GB 4pm - Midnight

Off-peak usage: 8.02GB Midnight - 4pm

Total usage: 16.3GB

This week's usage in detail

Mon 29
Tue 30
Wed 31
Thu 01
Fri 02
Sat 03

Peak 796.26MB 142.62MB 1.31GB 222.97MB 208.25MB 0KB
Off-peak 787.76MB 390.65MB 562.15MB 343.69MB 36.68MB 4.96MB
Total 1.59GB 533.27MB 1.87GB 566.66MB 244.93MB 4.96MB

Peak usage: Off-peak usage: Total usage:
2.68GB 2.13GB 4.8GB

Dave Tomlinson Training/Comms 4:43pm, Saturday 3rd June 2006
Dear Mr BERRIMAN,
I'm not sure I understand what's wrong here. If you turned your router on at 9am this morning then the off peak usage showing in VMBU now will be usage this morning and afternoon since you switched the router on (there will always be a certain amount of background noise and ATM overhead counted).

Peak time is 4pm to midnight 7 days a week, there isn't a different peak time on a weekend.

Regards,
Dave Tomlinson

To administer your account and for all your help and support requirements visit http://portal.plus.net/index_nlp.html

Your comment 5:02pm, Saturday 3rd June 2006
You have recorded OFF PEAK USE on my line i.e. midnight to 4am.

My router was turned off before midnight and not turned on until 9am

How have you recorded any activity on my line??

Keith

Your comment 6:16pm, Saturday 3rd June 2006
for clarification - the indicated off peak use was recorded immediately at 9am -when I checked to make sure there had not been any use during the off peak period - BUT there had been use recorded - even with the broadband wireless connection turned off i.e. power off.

Martin Dean CSC Agent 6:39am, Sunday 4th June 2006
Dear Mr BERRIMAN,
off-peak report usage from 12am - 4pm

Regards,
Martin Dean

To administer your account and for all your help and support requirements visit http://portal.plus.net/index_nlp.html

Your comment 9:54am, Sunday 4th June 2006
I am afraid I do not understand what this means.

Do you understand that there was no physical connection to the internet on the night in question?

Therefore, will you please answer how you recorded some usage??

It is no use to either of us for you to keep repeating that use was recorded.

If it was recorded, then based on the fact that there was no physical connection (wireless router turned off + computer turned off), then, it must follow that your recording system is worthless.

It then follows that all your recorded use levels at all times of the day are also worthless.

Please try and provide a reply which deals with the issues, and which is clearly written.
N/A

Someone mentioned something about P2P can still be using bandwidth while your internet is down.

This is because it still detects you as a seeder of a file(s) and therefore other leechers are trying to connect to you whether you are online or not. As most of us use static IPs these connection attempts therefore will count against our usage.

How true this is or not I dont know, I can just remember reading it in another similar post.
craiglay
Grafter

The way i see it, PN have no idea whether any of the data being sent to your machine is useful to you or not, so even if your router / modem is switched off, the data will still try to reach your machine thus passing through the VMBU. In fact, its impossible to tell what data is useful to you.

P2P has a big impact on your "offline" useage as you will still find other p2p clients trying to communicate with you even hours after you disconnect. Try running a packet sniffer after you've closed your p2p client and watch the discarded packets flooding in. These will still be counted in the VMBU.

I would probably say its entirely possible to see a few MB's "background" traffic every month. Its part of the nature of the internet. Any more would be a worry tho...

Btw, also, those who use encryption on their p2p clients are much more at risk of incorrect VMBU readings as PN's system will not be able to classify the data into a definitive type.