cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PCI ADSL Modem internet connection sharing

N/A

PCI ADSL Modem internet connection sharing

Can any one tell me how to set up internet connection sharing on the following set up

main computer (win XP pro) with PCI adsl modem connected to telephone socket & pci ethernet NIC connected by crossover cable to second computer with pic NIC (win 9Cool
I can find loads of articles with how to do it with routers, usb adsl modems, but not with my set up, I've tried the ICS wizard, does not seem to work. So how can I do it, is it possible, how do you manually this set up. What are the config settings. can I do it with this set up.
4 REPLIES
N/A

RE: PCI ADSL Modem internet connection sharing

both pc's need to be in the same ip range. ie pc one (winxp) ip 10.0.0.1 subnet 255.255.255.0. Pc 2 ip 10.0.0.2 subnet 255.255.255.0. The win98 machine has its default gateway set to 10.0.0.1 and you must set up dns on both pc's. it should then work.

> Can any one tell me how to set up internet connection sharing on the following set up
>
> main computer (win XP pro) with PCI adsl modem connected to telephone socket & pci ethernet NIC connected by crossover cable to second computer with pic NIC (win 9Cool
> I can find loads of articles with how to do it with routers, usb adsl modems, but not with my set up, I've tried the ICS wizard, does not seem to work. So how can I do it, is it possible, how do you manually this set up. What are the config settings. can I do it with this set up.
>

N/A

Try going to Network Connections, Wyp-tech, (or whatever your dialup is.) then click right button for properties, advanced, allow other computers to connect through this computer.

> Can any one tell me how to set up internet connection sharing on the following set up
>
> main computer (win XP pro) with PCI adsl modem connected to telephone socket & pci ethernet NIC connected by crossover cable to second computer with pic NIC (win 9Cool
> I can find loads of articles with how to do it with routers, usb adsl modems, but not with my set up, I've tried the ICS wizard, does not seem to work. So how can I do it, is it possible, how do you manually this set up. What are the config settings. can I do it with this set up.
>

N/A

OK,

You need to tell WinXP to share the internet connection so as Pete says you will have to

>Try going to Network Connections, Wyp-tech, (or whatever your dialup is.) then click right button for properties, advanced, allow other computers to connect through this computer

When you set connection sharing on WinXP, it enables some sort of DHCP server, that from what I can tell, no-one really knows what it does or how it works. What should happen is that your 98 machine is set to auto-configure in the TCP-IP properties, and it should get its configuration off the winXP machine.

If this doesn't work, trying doing it manually. winXP ICS auto sets the IP address of that computer to 192.168.0.1 so if you need to manually configure the 98 machine, use that as the default gateway (and maybe the DNS too) and set the 98 machine's IP to something in the range 192.168.0.2 - 192.168.0.255.

Seriously tho I think microsoft would like to think that auto configuration of the 98 machine will work.

Hope that helps

--
Si
tonybuck

I am having the same problem. I have windows 98 on both computers. my computer hase the pci adsl modem,and a nic card. the other computer just ahs the nic card installed and working.. I wondered if you managed to get yours to work with the pci adsl modem?
tony

--