cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC rebooting affects router and closes ports.

Trapper_Dave
Grafter

I don't know if anyone could give me an answer or point me in the right direction here.

I have a Belkin F5D7632-4 as the modem/router, with one PC wired to it and two using wireless connectivity with it. When the PC wired to the router is turned off, the internet connection on the router disconnects.

Also, when the wired PC is turned off and back on again, the ports that I have opened on the router seem to be closed, even though they are showing are still open.

-Dave
24 REPLIES
N/A

Is it possible for you to try the PC that is currently wired, wirelessly? By either taking the wireless dongle or cards from the other PC's and connecting them to your wired PC.

And then see if that makes the difference. Just to rule out the wire issues?

Am not familiar with that router, but its not USB is it? I don't think it is but worth checking all the same.
Trapper_Dave
Grafter

Thank you for a reply Bumzig.

I've not got a wireless dongle, but I am looking for one. I couldn't imagine it making a difference, as I've tried running the network without the PC and the router doesn't disconnect when either laptop is turned off or rebooted.

The router isn't USB.
N/A

But if you turn on the router without the offending PC being booted up the network runs as expected?
Trapper_Dave
Grafter

The router has to manually connected via 192.168.2.1
N/A

Usually a router automatically connects via 192.168.1.1

Why does the router have to manaually connect to 192.168.2.1
Trapper_Dave
Grafter

I mean I have to log into the router via that IP address and connect it manually each time.
N/A

I see Cheesy

So if you connect it manaullaly, can you not change a setting that connects it automatically?

In my router (linksys WAG354G) I have two settings Connect on Demand and Keep Alive. Do you not have something similar?
Trapper_Dave
Grafter

There doesn't appear to be. I've e-mailed Belkin to see if they can give me a hand :roll:
N/A

Have you tried upgrading to the latest firmware?
Trapper_Dave
Grafter

Yea, although there hasn't been an update for about a year.
N/A

Well see what Belkin say and post back here if it fixes your problem as this may help others.
Community Veteran

I have the same model and the on mine they can be found under the connection type settings after clicking on next

Dial on Demand >
Idle Time (Minute) >

I have dial on demand ticked and Idle time at 0

Edit:- I also emailed belkin some month ago about another issue but they never replied so don't hold uour breath. Cry
Community Veteran

Just another though on this.do you have the router set up to issue IP addresses to its clients (DHCP) ?

If so you may be better off not using DHCP but issue each of your PC's with a fixed IP so that there is no chance of them getting a new IP issued when they reboot.

It's a bit more trouble initialy but worth it in the long run.
Trapper_Dave
Grafter

That might be the problem.

I set the wired PC up with a fixed IP but I think that the router is set to issue each PC an IP. Would this cause the issue?