cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC 'losing' DNS servers

N/A

PC 'losing' DNS servers

Bit of a head-scratcher, this one.....

At first after booting the PC everything is as expected. However after some time I seem to 'lose' the DNS servers; web pages timeout, browser gives "DNS not available" msgs, mail servers become unavailable and even PINGs to my router's local IP address time-out. Resetting the router makes no difference whereas rebooting the PC cures it (until the next time), which makes me think the router is in the clear. The DNS server IP addresses are specified on the client PC, which runs Win98.

Has anyone else experienced similar symptoms, and if so is there a solution?

Alan
7 REPLIES
N/A

RE: PC 'losing' DNS servers

> Bit of a head-scratcher, this one.....
>
> At first after booting the PC everything is as expected. However after some time I seem to 'lose' the DNS servers; web pages timeout, browser gives "DNS not available" msgs, mail servers become unavailable and even PINGs to my router's local IP address time-out. Resetting the router makes no difference whereas rebooting the PC cures it (until the next time), which makes me think the router is in the clear. The DNS server IP addresses are specified on the client PC, which runs Win98.
>
> Has anyone else experienced similar symptoms, and if so is there a solution?
>
> Alan

I've been getting similar issues. All seems fine until I leave the pc overnight. Come back in the morning and messenger logs in ok, but web, mail, newsgroups and icq is fried. Again, I thought it could be a router thing but haven't found a fix yet. I'll keep ya informed if I do.
N/A

> I've been getting similar issues. All seems fine
> until I leave the pc overnight. Come back in the
> morning and messenger logs in ok, but web, mail,
> newsgroups and icq is fried.

I back-levelled the router firmware to 71146a1 this morning and finding the connection still working after being away for 4.5hrs thought that I'd cured the problem. However 10mins after starting to write this I'd lost the DNS again! <sigh>

> I thought it could be a router thing but haven't
> found a fix yet.

You're not running ZoneAlarm or another personal firewall, are you? I couldn't work out why a PING to the router's local IP wouldn't work, but disabled ZA on a hunch and the DNS came back. I can't see why this would be the case but will have to investigate further. Watch this space!

Alan
swythan
Dabbler

> > I've been getting similar issues. All seems fine
> > until I leave the pc overnight. Come back in the
> > morning and messenger logs in ok, but web, mail,
> > newsgroups and icq is fried.
>
> I back-levelled the router firmware to 71146a1 this morning and finding the connection still working after being away for 4.5hrs thought that I'd cured the problem. However 10mins after starting to write this I'd lost the DNS again! <sigh>
>
> > I thought it could be a router thing but haven't
> > found a fix yet.
>
> You're not running ZoneAlarm or another personal firewall, are you? I couldn't work out why a PING to the router's local IP wouldn't work, but disabled ZA on a hunch and the DNS came back. I can't see why this would be the case but will have to investigate further. Watch this space!
>
> Alan

Yesterday afternoon (~14:15) this sort of happened to my connection. I disconnected/reconnected my (ASUS) router's PPP connection, and noticed that the DNS servers listed had changed. I set my PC's DNS settings to those and it was OK.

A little while later, DNS stopped working again. Disconnect/reconnect showed that the DNS servers had changed back. Again, changing my OC's settings back fixed the problem.

I wasn't accessing the internet continuously, and haven't been using it today, but it did happen at least once more yesterday afternoon.

I don't know what was going on, but it seemed like major amounts of connectivity were dropping out at around the same time yesterday.

James

P.S. This was all especially irritating, as I was trying to write a .NET DNS lookup component at the time!

N/A

> Yesterday afternoon (~14:15) this sort of
> happened to my connection. I
> disconnected/reconnected my (ASUS) router's
> PPP connection, and noticed that the DNS servers
> listed had changed.

I think I saw notice on the Service Status page of a failure at Telehouse yesterday afternoon. That may welll have been the reason for the IPs chopping and changing.

I've flashed the EV back to the 71205a10 firmware but left ZoneAlarm off, and so far there's been no reoccurance of the DNS problem (touch wood). Dunno why it didn't affect dial-up but screws with ADSL if it *was* the cause.

Alan
N/A

This has been happening to me also, Win 98 with fujitsu adsl usb modem. Will connect fine then start loading (maybe download a few emails) then all of a sudden I cant reach any web pages Sad

Its working again now, so wierd that it seems to be intermittent, I rebooted about 10 times this morning with no success in maintaining the connection, but now its fine again!!!!

wierdness
N/A

This has also been happening to me. The first time I noticed it was after installing my Netgear DG814 router and uninstalling Zone Alarm. I can browse for a while then nothing..not even a ping.

I will remove all traces of Zone Alarm tonight to see if this may be the cause.

> This has been happening to me also, Win 98 with fujitsu adsl usb modem. Will connect fine then start loading (maybe download a few emails) then all of a sudden I cant reach any web pages Sad
>
> Its working again now, so wierd that it seems to be intermittent, I rebooted about 10 times this morning with no success in maintaining the connection, but now its fine again!!!!
>
> wierdness

N/A

> This has also been happening to me. The first
> time I noticed it was after installing my
> Netgear DG814 router and uninstalling Zone Alarm.

> > This has been happening to me also, Win 98
> > with fujitsu adsl usb modem.

My Asus 6000EV is now back at the firmware version it shipped with, ZoneAlarm has been reinstalled, and I've had no reoccurance of the original problem whatsoever. :-)

The accepted practice with the EV is to specify the PlusNet DNS addresses explicitly for the PC instead of leaving it set on "server assigned". Perhaps this would be worth trying for others experiencing similar problems?

Al