cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC and Mac internet access?

N/A

I have a home network (2 PCs and a laptop) but I intend to buy an iMac specifically for music use. I will need internet access for the Mac for downloads, updates and registrations. Is there a way to have internet access for the PCs and the Mac within my current PlusNet subscription? I can't get my head round how it might work! Any help most gratefully received!

Peter
4 REPLIES
p_w_d_stone
Grafter

The simple answer is yes. The slightly longer answer is that you may need to buy new hardware depending on your current method of connection.

If you have a router, wired or wireless, then this will allow you to share your internet connection, regardless of the operating system(s) used. These are well defined standards and supported by most, if not all, modern operating systems.

Clearly if you have a wired router the ability to share your broadband with the Mac will depend on the feasability of a cable run between the router and the Mac. If you're using wireless then you will configure the Mac with details of your router, including any security keys, and may need to add it to any access control (MAC filtering) lists you may have set up.

Unfortunately if you're currently using a USB modem to connect then you will need to upgrade to a router. Since your post refers to an existing network then you probably already have a router and no further equipment will be required.

Good luck.
N/A

Thank you very much for your rapid and most helpful reply!
I run my network using a router (which conveniently has spare capacity) and there is not a problem with the distance for a cable run to where the Mac will be. Looks like I can proceed with my purchase!

Thank you once again,

Peter
James
Grafter

Hi Peter,

It should really be as simple as plug and play. Your computers should automatically be able to pick up the internet connection supplied by your router.

If yuu have any difficulties, by all means post in here and myself and various others will be more than happy to help!
N/A

Thanks for the help. I am expecting delivery of the Mac any day now so I will soon know!

Peter