N/A

PAsted cade as requested from traceroute

Traceroute Results: View Traceroutes
Traceroute Time (24 Hour): 00:13 to 00:42
Traceroute Duration: 29 minutes
Traceroute Packet Size: 64 bytes
Packetloss in Traceroute?: Yes
Exchange: Woodham Ferrers
Problem: Permanently Slow Data Transfer (Everything is slow)
Duration of Problem: Since installation
Minimum Speed Achieved On PlusNet Speedtest: 000 kbps
Maximum Speed Achieved On PlusNet Speedtest: 000 kbps
Average Speed Achieved On PlusNet Speedtest: 0 kbps
Account: ADSL Home (Self Install) - 512kb (50:1)
IP Block Size: Single (default)
Ticket Number: None
Additional Information: The packet loss was initially high, but obviously the longert i left it, the lower it got.
So slow to use internet, email etc. quicker through my 56k modem. This line has already had ADSL on it once, and the when i tried it before asking for a cease and reprovide it was exactly the same as it is now, after the cease and reprovide has been completed.

I also left the speed test running for ages (not when the traceroute was running) and it came back with 0kpbs.

had to dialup with my modem to submit this.
6 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Have you tried the ADSLguide speedtest because sometimes the PlusNet speedtest produces 0 results.
N/A

are you using a surge suppressor type extension block with input and outputs for telephone connectors or is your adsl modem plugged straight into the phone line? I only ask because I had a problem with appalling download speeds (although online gaming seemed ok), as soon as I plugged the modem straight into the phone socket instead of the surge suppressor everything returned to normal.
N/A

No, the router plugs straight into the phone line.

I've tried everything I can from this end. Plus.net advised me to log into the BT speedtester, but this wont load fully. I've got as far as enterting my phone number and pressing go, but after that all i get is a page saying the test is in progress. I left this for well over an hour and the page still hadn't finished loading (progress bar was full but window flag still flapping/moving - indicating there was more data to be recieved.

No network activity except for the occasional blip, but this was probably internet traffic as opposed to anything from the speed tester.

Thanks for your advice though!

I dont think this'll ever get sorted...
N/A

No, the router plugs straight into the phone line.

I've tried everything I can from this end. Plus.net advised me to log into the BT speedtester, but this wont load fully. I've got as far as enterting my phone number and pressing go, but after that all i get is a page saying the test is in progress. I left this for well over an hour and the page still hadn't finished loading (progress bar was full but window flag still flapping/moving - indicating there was more data to be recieved.

No network activity except for the occasional blip, but this was probably internal lan traffic as opposed to anything from the speed tester.

Thanks for your advice though!

I dont think this'll ever get sorted...
N/A

I'd suggest that you have a problem with the phone line itself. If there's no other background traffic then it's unlikely that it's spyware or virus related. Try changing the cable from the modem to the master socket, if this doesn't improve then report the problem to plus and get them to ask BT to look into a possible signal problem on your line. Don't accept the result of the BT automated line test, this doesn't test the adsl only that the phone line is working.

I had a problem with my line when I first had it installed, phones worked fine but ADSL didn't, eventually BT had to connect my line via a completely different circuit to the exchange in order to cure the problem.
Community Veteran

Have you been through the following tutorials:

ADSL: Trouble Shooting

ADSL: Wiring and Filters

And the toubleshooting guide in help & support here.

Also check out the MTU tweak and try adjusting your MTU values. If you have a separate router it must have the same MTU as your Windows PC.

Are you connected directly to the BT master socket, if not try that. Also try connecting through an ADSL Filter/splitter on the ADSL side.