cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PAYG to BB Plus

Richchad
Grafter

PAYG to BB Plus

I am on Pay as you go with 2Gb transfer and I am thinking of changing to Broadband Plus, however when I select BB Plus with 2GB at £14.99 pm I get this option..
Choose your speed
I'd like to stay at my current speed
I'd like to change to the highest speed my line will support

If I select the first option I pay £14.99 one off charge...but will I not get an automatic free upgrade to 8Mb when available?
If I choose the second option I have to pay a one off charge of £29.99.. :!:
but does this mean I get the free upgrade?
14 REPLIES
Community Veteran

PAYG to BB Plus

Your PAYG product will get a free speed upgrade to up to 8Mbs along with all the other residential products including premier and BB+.

You are currently paying £15.99 (£14.99 + £1 for the extra GB of traffic), because you will be changing to a product which costs less each month (BB+ is £14.99), this is classed as an downgrade and thus you pay £14.99.

If you could manage for a month on your PAYG account with 1GB then you should change your PAYG product to the standard 1GB transfer, wait 30 days then upgrade to BB+ for free as you will not be paying any more per month. When you do this you should choose the stay at current speed option. In fact the 2nd option is now redundant as you can't actually increase your speed, what you get will be determined by your line conditions when MaxDSL goes live next month.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

PAYG to BB Plus

Here's how to save money.
First reduce your included allowance down to 1GB this means that the price is the same as BB+. Guess what, unless the system has been changed recently, no charge.
Forget the speed change. You won't get any more than you're on now. When MaxDSL comes in you will be automatically put onto it (when /time scale is unclear at present).
Damn - I don't type fast enough Smiley
Richchad
Grafter

PAYG to BB Plus

Thanks for the quick replies....do you think I should stay on PAYG until I get MaxDSL to avoid any confusion?
Also if I change data transfer to 1GB but then use more at £1.25 per Gb would this effect the free upgrade?
Community Veteran

PAYG to BB Plus

Thanks for the quick replies....do you think I should stay on PAYG until I get MaxDSL to avoid any confusion?

If you never use more than 2GB then stay as you are.

Also if I change data transfer to 1GB but then use more at £1.25 per Gb would this effect the free upgrade?

No, it's the inclousive bandwidth amount you pay for that is taken into consideration when determining if an upgrade or downgrade is occuring. Any additional payments for extra bandwidth are not counted.
Richchad
Grafter

PAYG to BB Plus

If you never use more than 2GB then stay as you are.

I tend to use just between 2 & 3GB so thought changing would be cheaper without too much loss of performance.

No, it's the inclousive bandwidth amount you pay for that is taken into consideration when determining if an upgrade or downgrade is occuring. Any additional payments for extra bandwidth are not counted.

Thanks for clarifying that.
Community Veteran

PAYG to BB Plus

BB+ is heavily traffic shaped during peak times and less so but still quite high during non-peak times. I suspect with your usage you should be OK to switch to BB+ as long as you don;t do much P2P.

Your current PAYG product is one of the less shaped products.
Community Veteran

PAYG to BB Plus

Peter,
I thought that BB+ is only traffic shaped for P2P, Usenet, FTP etc but that for up to 3GB per month http and e-mails etc were effectively unshaped
Community Veteran

PAYG to BB Plus

By the time he gets on BB+ the new policies will be in place which includes all traffic in the 3GB peak allowance. Wink
Richchad
Grafter

PAYG to BB Plus

Peter,
I thought that BB+ is only traffic shaped for P2P, Usenet, FTP etc but that for up to 3GB per month http and e-mails etc were effectively unshaped

If that is the case, it should suit me just fine.....am I right in thinking that if I wanted to switch back to PAYG with 2 or 3GB per month there wouldn't be a one off charge as I would be upgrading to a dearer product?
Community Veteran

PAYG to BB Plus

Yes.
Richchad
Grafter

PAYG to BB Plus

Thanks again, sorry about all the questions..hopefully just one more...is there a best time to switch products, I am on monthly PAYG..ie start of months usage, middle as now, or end?
Community Veteran

PAYG to BB Plus

If you change down to 1GB inclusive then as both contracts are the same monthly payment, you can change at any time.

A request to decrease inclusive allowance will not happen until your next billing date anyway so put your request in now and as soon as your new billing month starts, request a change to BB+.
Richchad
Grafter

PAYG to BB Plus

Cheers Peter, thanks for your help.
Community Veteran

PAYG to BB Plus

By the time he gets on BB+ the new policies will be in place which includes all traffic in the 3GB peak allowance. Wink
Just to follow this up because I'm not quite sure if I'm right.
I was under the impression that even though the new 3GB peak allowance includes everything including P2P, FTP, http, etc the P2P and FTP were still heavily throttled within that 3GB band
How much by is anyone's guess as PlusNet won't/can't say.
See my unanswered questions at the end of Liam's Extended FAQ