Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PAUSES IN UPSTREAM

N/A

PAUSES IN UPSTREAM

Has anyone noticed today (saturday)
that if you upload or FTP the transfer goes around
58.7 KBS and stops and starts, in bursts?

IE: it is not a constant stream.

The pauses are nearly 10 seconds appart when it stops responding, then starts again.

Is this a new way to stop me uploading or streaming, too much.. or does my exchange or plusnet have a fault?

It's not just PlusNet FTP all are the same, i have rebooted three times, the download is fast.
but upstream has this problem today.

Any tech staff out there today?
--
Jason
=====
9 REPLIES
N/A

RE: PAUSES IN UPSTREAM

I've had this problem for a week or two now and I noticed it first when trying to send files over msn messenger. The transfer goes from 30k/sec and then stops, continues and then stops.
The same is true for FTP.
However what I noticed when uploading a website, if you upload many small files there are no pauses - so the problem must be with continuous transfer of 1 file.
N/A

OK mate, glad you could confirm that.

PlusNet still havent answered me.
if this is the case, that they are stopping the transfer of 1 file.. be it a large file, which gets to a specific size then stops. or be it to stop constant upstreaming.. then it works.

But it's not good. i have to pay for b/cast account and i can't use it..

The whole point of b/band was new technology .. streaming etc.. uploading my website fast ..lots and lots.. is this something new or just a fault i wonder.

If it's a new rule.. i'm going to cable!
capping uploads now huh??!!
--
Jason
=====
N/A

Well, I do some web design work for people (although i'm still really at school) and this means I need to send files to people - Sometimes large files. If this upload problem is something that Plusnet have implemented purposely then it is very bad.

I can understand the P2P argument, but I thought that was why Plusnet made a cheaper package where P2P was not allowed?

I think the problem is probably something accidental or some sort of error.
N/A

Yes thats very true about the P2P, they say thats why the other package is cheaper..
i pay for the full one, £23.99 a month, i have an added £1 as i took out a domain name.

Thats the whole point of b/band isn't it mate.. being able to download fast and also upload fast too!.

I hope you're right and it's just a fault.
dunno what i will do if the upstream has a max on it before it pauses Sad

Fingers crossed! Smiley
--
Jason
=====
N/A

have had that for about a month now, it's 99% of the time fine during normal business hours and twilight hours.... but during the evening....it's very erratic...

could be the contention ratio I spose... never had a download problem like other peeps tho *touch wood*
N/A

Just uploaded a 1mb file to ftp.plus.net the upstream rate is terrible, it transferred jerkily and very slowly, definite problem with upstream which a lot of ppl are beginning to report.

Would give u a adslguide reading but it is timeing out so it must be real bad on the upstream test but downstream is good at 466Kbps

Ali
N/A

I have now submitted a detailed fault report regarding this topic. and asked for PlusNet to read this topic aswell.

Will they reply..?

We shall see. if other users effected by this slow upstream were to fill the ADSL report out on the portal, it might help, as my report alone may not be enough to get BT to look into it.

And i think ISP's only look into faults reported to them directly by customers and not just what we say here on the forum.

But fingers crossed.
--
Jason
=====
N/A

Ok i just tried the ADSL guide test, first in a while.

Says i have a fairly fast connection (always has)

Here are results.

Broadband Speed Test Results

Results from your most recent broadband speed test recorded on 07 October 2002 at 14:23:54.

Your Connection

Direction Actual Speed True Speed
Downstream 465 Kbps (58.1 KB/sec) 534 Kbps (inc. overheads)
Upstream 243 Kbps (30.4 KB/sec) 279 Kbps (inc. overheads)

It looks good... but as soon as you start uploading or upstreaming this 30 K starts to drop, and if you are connected a while, uploading larger files it pauses then stops.

Remember the ADSL tests are only short bursts..
uploading and downloading.

Try this same test on FTP, or P2P for a longer period and thats when you notice.
--
Jason
=====
N/A

Seems to be much better now - I just had a constant 30k/sec upload for a few mins - what about everyone else?