cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

P2P has DRAMATICALLY slowed down!

N/A

P2P has DRAMATICALLY slowed down!

Hi people,

I was just wondering is it just me who is getting a d/l speed of around 6KB/s average on P2P file sharing apps? I understand that it depends which connection I am downloading from but I used to be able to get an average speed of 20KB/s just about a week ago and that was from ADSL connections. So you can imagine what I USED to get from T1/T3 connections around 50KB/s. Now if I try to d/l off of even T3 connections I get 3KB/s!!! Its absurd! I don't understand why this has suddenly happened since last Friday (the time when Plusnet were going through upgrades). I hope there is no problem with my end and that Plusnet did something. If anyone has any idea about what the hell is going on please let me knowm, it will be much appreciated.

Regards
Wax
27 REPLIES
N/A

RE: P2P has DRAMATICALLY slowed down!

> Hi people,
>
> I was just wondering is it just me who is getting a d/l speed of around 6KB/s average on P2P file sharing apps? I understand that it depends which connection I am downloading from but I used to be able to get an average speed of 20KB/s just about a week ago and that was from ADSL connections. So you can imagine what I USED to get from T1/T3 connections around 50KB/s. Now if I try to d/l off of even T3 connections I get 3KB/s!!! Its absurd! I don't understand why this has suddenly happened since last Friday (the time when Plusnet were going through upgrades). I hope there is no problem with my end and that Plusnet did something. If anyone has any idea about what the hell is going on please let me knowm, it will be much appreciated.
>
> Regards
> Wax

I phoned up plusnet concerning this yesterday as my p2p downloads have gone to pot, but they just said it was either the person I was downloading from or the p2p applications fault, but like you I cant even get decent downloads no whatever the speed of the other person connection. They must have done something.
N/A

P2P Bandwidth throttling? Had to happen sooner or later. When children mis-use things the grown-ups take them away.....
Quite right too in my opinion...

> Hi people,
>
> I was just wondering is it just me who is getting a d/l speed of around 6KB/s average on P2P file sharing apps? I understand that it depends which connection I am downloading from but I used to be able to get an average speed of 20KB/s just about a week ago and that was from ADSL connections. So you can imagine what I USED to get from T1/T3 connections around 50KB/s. Now if I try to d/l off of even T3 connections I get 3KB/s!!! Its absurd! I don't understand why this has suddenly happened since last Friday (the time when Plusnet were going through upgrades). I hope there is no problem with my end and that Plusnet did something. If anyone has any idea about what the hell is going on please let me knowm, it will be much appreciated.
>
> Regards
> Wax

N/A

> Hi people,
>
I hope there is no problem with my end and that Plusnet did something. If anyone has any idea about what the hell is going on please let me knowm, it will be much appreciated.
>
Hi,

I would just like to confirm that any issues at the moment with P2P apps is not related to our network management systems that we have in place.

If you are having concerns with download speed we would recommend our own speed test at:

http://speed-test.plus.net.uk for our internal test and then try downloading a large file from ftp.mirror.ac.uk.

This should be able to then offer a more reasonable evaluation of thre true speeds that you are able to download files.

I'm not saying P2P apps always provide poor representations of data transfer rates but if P2P servers are used by multiple concurrent connections then sometimes they can mislead real internet speeds.

Best Regards,

--
| David Watson. Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Technical Support. for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd. @ http://www.plus.net
+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet ----- +
N/A

> P2P Bandwidth throttling? Had to happen sooner or later. When children mis-use things the grown-ups take them away.....
> Quite right too in my opinion...

Well for your information the package I signed up for SUPPORTS P2P FILE SHARING APPLICATIONS, so I don't see how they can "Bandwidth throttle" anyone's connection as the service has charged their customers a couple of £ extra for the additional feature. So if customers are paying extra for P2P file sharing application then PlusNET MUST provide decent service not "take them away". As you have stated you are of course entitled to your own opiniion but don't you think if you pay for something you SHOULD get that "something" in return?

Regards
Wax

N/A

> Hi,
>
> I would just like to confirm that any issues at the moment with P2P apps is not related to our network management systems that we have in place.
>
> If you are having concerns with download speed we would recommend our own speed test at:
>
> http://speed-test.plus.net.uk for our internal test and then try downloading a large file from ftp.mirror.ac.uk.
>
> This should be able to then offer a more reasonable evaluation of thre true speeds that you are able to download files.
>
> I'm not saying P2P apps always provide poor representations of data transfer rates but if P2P servers are used by multiple concurrent connections then sometimes they can mislead real internet speeds.
>
> Best Regards,
>
> --
> | David Watson. Unmetered & ADSL solutions
> | Technical Support. for Home & Business
> | PlusNet Technologies Ltd. @ http://www.plus.net
> + ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet ----- +

Thank you David I will have a look into the speed test.

Regards
Wax
N/A

Throttling would not contravene the ToS, since P2P will still be supported - just that idiots downloading gigabytes of crappy pirate versions of films and stolen software 24X7 would not be sapping everyone else's bandwidth. And, yes, I know, there are legitimate uses for P2P, but unfortunately the Pirates have spoiled it for everyone else.... A number of researchers have found that up to 60% of internet bandwidth is being used up by P2P - this cannot be attributed solely to a few people distributing legitimate copies of files....

> > P2P Bandwidth throttling? Had to happen sooner or later. When children mis-use things the grown-ups take them away.....
> > Quite right too in my opinion...
>
> Well for your information the package I signed up for SUPPORTS P2P FILE SHARING APPLICATIONS, so I don't see how they can "Bandwidth throttle" anyone's connection as the service has charged their customers a couple of £ extra for the additional feature. So if customers are paying extra for P2P file sharing application then PlusNET MUST provide decent service not "take them away". As you have stated you are of course entitled to your own opiniion but don't you think if you pay for something you SHOULD get that "something" in return?
>
> Regards
> Wax
>
>

N/A

So PlusNet aren't trottling P2P then?
I bet it's on the cards though, huh?
;o)

> > Hi people,
> >
> I hope there is no problem with my end and that Plusnet did something. If anyone has any idea about what the hell is going on please let me knowm, it will be much appreciated.
> >
> Hi,
>
> I would just like to confirm that any issues at the moment with P2P apps is not related to our network management systems that we have in place.
>
> If you are having concerns with download speed we would recommend our own speed test at:
>
> http://speed-test.plus.net.uk for our internal test and then try downloading a large file from ftp.mirror.ac.uk.
>
> This should be able to then offer a more reasonable evaluation of thre true speeds that you are able to download files.
>
> I'm not saying P2P apps always provide poor representations of data transfer rates but if P2P servers are used by multiple concurrent connections then sometimes they can mislead real internet speeds.
>
> Best Regards,
>
> --
> | David Watson. Unmetered & ADSL solutions
> | Technical Support. for Home & Business
> | PlusNet Technologies Ltd. @ http://www.plus.net
> + ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet ----- +

N/A

> P2P Bandwidth throttling? Had to happen sooner or later. When children mis-use things the grown-ups take them away.....
> Quite right too in my opinion...

Another point to note, I am NOT a heavy internet user. I use my internet only after 7:00PM and respect the fact that people use the internet for other IMPORTANT things. So I don't see why (that is if I have been singled out) I have been "bottle necked". I am not one of those freaks who download non-stop 24/7, that's like hogging all the bandwidth selfishly. The only point I am making is that I have noticed a significant deterioration in my download speed.

Regards
Wax
N/A

I'm not saying it's *you* that's causing the P2P problem, P2P piracy is the kind of thing nobody admits to or defends on here - but a hell of a lot of people must be doing it. I suppose the ideal solution would be to only throttle the people who are hogging the bandwidth, but I think the way it has been implemented elsewhere is to throttle all P2P traffic. Which, I agree, impacts the people who want to use it for legitimate purposes too. But, that's life - you give people a freedom, it gets abused, it gets taken away or restricted. Sad but true.

> > P2P Bandwidth throttling? Had to happen sooner or later. When children mis-use things the grown-ups take them away.....
> > Quite right too in my opinion...
>
> Another point to note, I am NOT a heavy internet user. I use my internet only after 7:00PM and respect the fact that people use the internet for other IMPORTANT things. So I don't see why (that is if I have been singled out) I have been "bottle necked". I am not one of those freaks who download non-stop 24/7, that's like hogging all the bandwidth selfishly. The only point I am making is that I have noticed a significant deterioration in my download speed.
>
> Regards
> Wax

N/A

> I'm not saying it's *you* that's causing the P2P problem, P2P piracy is the kind of thing nobody admits to or defends on here - but a hell of a lot of people must be doing it. I suppose the ideal solution would be to only throttle the people who are hogging the bandwidth, but I think the way it has been implemented elsewhere is to throttle all P2P traffic. Which, I agree, impacts the people who want to use it for legitimate purposes too. But, that's life - you give people a freedom, it gets abused, it gets taken away or restricted. Sad but true.

Finally we have come to an agreement Wink

Reagards
Wax
N/A

And YES it is a pain when I try to open up my work off of the internet and nothing seems to be working. Forget P2P for the moment but at times NOTHING seems to be happening when I try to browse the internet even. So I presume it must be something related to PlusNet, altough about 2 weeks ago everything was running superbly! I even sent Plusnet an e-mail congratulationg them of their brilliant service. But I am losing faith as this "new" problem has come up and the solution will be implemented by the end of this week. Very frustrating when everything related to my University is ONLY posted ONLINE including assignments, lecture notes etc.

> Reagards
> Wax

N/A

> So PlusNet aren't trottling P2P then?
> I bet it's on the cards though, huh?
> ;o)
>
A P2P bandwidth throttle was implemented a few months ago, prior to the fat pipe upgrades. If I rememeber correctly, it was active at peak times but was relaxed from the early hours of the morning through until around 8:00am.
It was demand based and only kicked in to ensure users surfing the web were not being affected by the much higher demands of P2P traffic.
I'm not sure if the throttle is still in place since the pipe upgrades, or if overall network bandwidth usage still causes it to kick in.
IMHO it's fair enough that P2P traffic is managed and regulated by plusnet. If it wasn't I'm sure there's a danger that the network would simply become saturated with P2P traffic.
And yes, I do use P2P clients myself and like nothing more than to see high download speeds.. Smiley
N/A

> > So PlusNet aren't trottling P2P then?
> > I bet it's on the cards though, huh?
> > ;o)
> >
> A P2P bandwidth throttle was implemented a few months ago, prior to the fat pipe upgrades. If I rememeber correctly, it was active at peak times but was relaxed from the early hours of the morning through until around 8:00am.
> It was demand based and only kicked in to ensure users surfing the web were not being affected by the much higher demands of P2P traffic.
> I'm not sure if the throttle is still in place since the pipe upgrades, or if overall network bandwidth usage still causes it to kick in.
> IMHO it's fair enough that P2P traffic is managed and regulated by plusnet. If it wasn't I'm sure there's a danger that the network would simply become saturated with P2P traffic.
> And yes, I do use P2P clients myself and like nothing more than to see high download speeds.. Smiley

N/A

> > So PlusNet aren't trottling P2P then?
> > I bet it's on the cards though, huh?
> > ;o)
> >
> A P2P bandwidth throttle was implemented a few months ago, prior to the fat pipe upgrades. If I rememeber correctly, it was active at peak times but was relaxed from the early hours of the morning through until around 8:00am.
> It was demand based and only kicked in to ensure users surfing the web were not being affected by the much higher demands of P2P traffic.
> I'm not sure if the throttle is still in place since the pipe upgrades, or if overall network bandwidth usage still causes it to kick in.
> IMHO it's fair enough that P2P traffic is managed and regulated by plusnet. If it wasn't I'm sure there's a danger that the network would simply become saturated with P2P traffic.
> And yes, I do use P2P clients myself and like nothing more than to see high download speeds.. Smiley

My winmx p2p has ground to a crawl recently a quick speed test shows me why:-(
Downstream 122 Kbps (15.3 KB/sec) 140 Kbps (inc. overheads)
Upstream 26 Kbps (3.3 KB/sec) 29 Kbps (inc. overheads)
but as people have said its not just p2p its everything!