cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

P2P apps bring everything to a halt??

N/A

Hi

I've found that Kazaa Lite (RIP) and now Shareaza work fine for 30-60 mins, but then all the network traffic stops and I can't even use the Internet or check email. I thought it might be ZoneAlarm related, but I'm using Sygate now.

If I reboot my router, everything is fine...

Any suggestions welcomed! Wink

Thanks
Jason
6 REPLIES
N/A

This is a common fault.
You have too many connections open at a time, causing the router to fall over.
Cut down on the number of files your are downloading or limit the number of sources.
Community Veteran

Or don't run Kazza Wink
the_norris
Grafter

Hi

I have the same problem with Emule and my Solwise SAR110 router.

I've got my max connection in emule set to 150. This leaves free connections on the router for other Inet traffic.

Phil
N/A

That's the reason I gave up on Shareaza, I then used Phex, which didn't eat up the bandwidth, although to be honest I've found the whole Gnutella thing too unreliable and have given up P2P completely.

Jeff
N/A

One other thing that you may want to check is the outgoing speed, set it to max 12kbps or lower. It seems when I didn't limit the outgoing speed, everything came to halt.
N/A

It's all to do with the NAT table in your router. The NAT table can only hold a certain amount of entries, mine for instance can hold up to 1000, once this table is full the router will be unable to make any more connections.

Shareaza seems to love creating a huge amount of connections, many for each file you are downloading, more when you are searching, more when it is looking for more download sources. So for each connection Shareaza makes to a different IP address it takes up another entry in your NAT table. As earlier mentioned you can restrict the amount of connections Shareaza can make for each file being downloaded.

It may also be worth looking at the configuration of your router. Entries in the NAT table have a lifespan, if this lifespan is set too high then it will take the router too long to clear the entry in the NAT table after the connection has been closed. I'm not sure on the ideal lifespan for an entry, it will differ from user to user depending upon the type of usage and the maximum amount of entries the NAT table can hold. I would think that you would not want a timeout of anything more than 2-3mins, maybe even less.