cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

P2P and £18.99/month package

N/A

I'm trying to use the P2P eDonkey client - but the connections are incredibly slow. I notice that P2P is specifically mentioned in the next package up (£21.99 I think), do I have to upgrade to that in order to get a reasonable response time?

Thanks

Dave
11 REPLIES
Community Veteran

You're not supposed to be able to use P2P at all on the £19 service... so yes, you'd need to upgrade to the £22 service.

Thomas
N/A

Actualy, only maybe.

My guess is the reason Edonkey works, is due to the protocol actualy working, regardless of the blocks in place.

Even packages sold with the ability do no gurentee a fast connection speed.

If you are connecting to a user that has a modem, purchasing ADSL isn't going to make there speed any faster, only yours.

There are too many factors involved in P2P that prevent the ability to diagnose faults in the connection.

See the many other threads on the forum, for more detailed reasons and explanations.
N/A

It does work, but is woefully slow, but that may be because of restrictions on other peoples machines.
If moving to the £22 option will speed things up (though only you know if you're throttling ports) I would gladly upgrade.
What do you suggest?
If you think it will help can I try it for a month?

Thanks

Dave
Community Veteran

I can't say it'll help you, but I can't see any reason why you can't upgrade for a month, then downgrade again if the £22 option doesn't help.

Thomas
Community Veteran

Best thing is to raise a ticket on the Link:Contact Us system and see if you are allowed to try an upgrade.
N/A

Allways thought the £19.00 package specifically states no P2P, but how do +net monitor for this or is the package capped/throttled in any way.

If no monitoring or capping/throttling then how does +net know if peeps are using P2P on this service. Plus if not controlled why bother to upgrade if you can get it at the cheaper rate.
Community Veteran

I think the main method they use is port blocking, however this would not stop all instances of p2p however they do have a few other tricks up thier sleaves.

At the end of the day if you are using p2p on that type of account you are in breach of the AUP and PlusNet can take action.

Chris
N/A

My guess is this is done using NAT routing through +Net. Meaning many people share the same IP.

However, not knowing anybody using this, I am not sure.

It is a simple software change to enable an account upgrade (3 mins it takes, apparently), so downgrading should be just as quick.
N/A

Thanks for the replys: I was just curious as to what methods +net used to stop the infringement on the £19.00 service as this is the package i am on.

My reason for this package is simply that i have no use for P2P but i do have some large file downloads from time to time. As for quoting the t&c's to combat any P2P downloaders that may be on the cheapo package i hardly think that will be a detterant.
N/A

I very much doubt that +net activly pursue P2P offenders on the cheaper package.

Most P2P software will not work on this package, however, some might. This will depend on how the software phones home, and how it downloads from other users.

If it became a problem, where alarge base of the customers did, I suspect they would enforce it some more, in those specific areas, if only to keep the service quality.
jberry
Grafter

Hi All,

Just to try and clear the air here, the £18.99 package is designed to not be used with p2p software - and the corresponding saving in bandwidth costs can therefore be passed on to the customer.

The main method used for this is port blocking, as well as some more compicated methods, and these will stop 99% of p2p traffic. There are always ways around measures like this as certain p2p clients can be hacked to use different ports at a much reduced connection rate for example.

We do not and cannot police this on an individual basis simply because there is so much traffic that to analyse it all for p2p style packets would increase processing overheads to a unworkable level and would probably impact on the network performance as a whole.

Hope that explains this a bit,