cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

P2P Sharing and Bandwith Issues

N/A

I have ADSL Office 2000 Self-Install - Annual Contract (No-NAT).

Im sharing my connection between 3 computers via a DLink DSL-604+ Router. When i use a file sharing programme (overnet or torrents) it makes the other PC's connections so slow, even just browsing a simple website takes an age to load up. I was under the impression that via a router each PC would have 2MB to play with seperately. I am currently set at NAT so all PC's share one IP address, if I change to No-NAT will each PC have a seperate 2MB connection and not be related to each others activity? I simply want to be able to use my file sharing programmes while not ruining the connection for the other users. Can this be done? Thanks for your help in advance
2 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Hi,

No you only have 2mbit between the 3 computers. So if one machine is hogging the bandwidth the other machines suffer.

Suggest you use rate limiting to limit the amount of bandwidth your p2p connections take up.

Chris
N/A

Yeh, also upload speeds with effect the downstream on broadband connections, and bittorrents download speeds are dependent on how much you are uploading.
Nothing you can really do about it, unless you limit the upload and download speeds you are set at.
There's an experimental bittorrent client in the works where you can set your upload limit, you can find it here.