cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

P2P Really Getting Me Annoyed Now

N/A

I am on Broadband Premier and according to the Plus Net site P2P gets throttled after 13GB of usage. I am nowhere near that limit and yet all my P2P programs are downloading at a laughable speed (below 1kb). I have tried Kazaa and Direct Connect and BitTorrent and they're all the same.

Now I can accept that P2P download speeds vary but it seems to be more than a coincidence that they are all like it at least 2 days in a row.

It's really getting me annoyed now. P2P is unusable and the worst thing is I can't really diagnose the problem, is it my machine, the P2P networks or is it Plus Net screwing about with my connection? It's a terrible thing to have an ISP that I don't trust, whenever the Internet stops working in any way the first thing that pops into my head is 'Is it Plus Net pratting about?'

I have been with Plus Net since the beginning when it was Force9 but I am as close as I have ever been to leaving. I am not a heavy user I should not have to put up with this sort of crap.

Is anybody else having this continual problem with P2P networks?
26 REPLIES
N/A

post subject

hello steve, no you are not alone with this one loads of
people are fed up with it me included.i have been with pl
since 2003 and am thinking of moving to another isp myself
best regards trevor
N/A

yeah same here...i have been with PN since 2004, with no or hardly any major problems...however since this whole speed upgrade thing, my interenet has been iffy since...recently my p2p has been weird, sometimes going really well while other times like your problem, less than 1kb. So i dont know what PN is doing to solve this, but if they dont i would consider moving aswell.
N/A

Well on the one hand I'm glad its not just me but on the other it means that it's definitely looks like a Plus Net problem.

Guess I might have to raise a ticket and if no joy then it might be time to move on. Sad

Oh and the thing that really annoys me is people uploading from me are going at 30kb a second. :x
Craigiusmaximus
Grafter

I have seen a thread about this ages ago an was told that p2p speed vary depend on which gateway you are on i think you need to be on a PTN gateway if you arent try to rebbot you're router till you are then try again
Craigiusmaximus
Grafter

To find out what gateway you are on try here let me know how you get on

http://usertools.plus.net/@gateway/
Alecto
Grafter

But remember that if you're on Max, then rebooting the router several times will be interpreted as dropping connection and it will reduce your speed.

There may be something in the Gateway thing though, as I'm on pte-ag1 and my P2P is v poor today. Wish I'd checked yesterday when it was running well, but I never thought to.
Craigiusmaximus
Grafter

good point that about max it had the same affect on my sync speed the other day Shockedops: Shockedops:

it went down slightly.......

wish there was a program i could run so it always logged me into a PTN gateway... :lol: Shocked

Moderators note by John (johnessex)Full quote of preceding post removed as per the Link:rules
Alecto
Grafter

wish there was a program i could run so it always logged me into a PTN gateway... :lol: Shocked

Well as long as you didn't try and download that program by P2P, or you'd never get it.
:lol:
I wonder why it should make a difference though.
I once went to watch Rotherham Utd. play. I remember cos I had a choc ice at half time.
Craigiusmaximus
Grafter

:lol: :lol: :lol:

bit random that mate rotherham united i dont watch them to be honest where in yorkshire are you?

Moderators note by John (johnessex)Full quote of preceding post removed as per the Link:rules
Alecto
Grafter

My brother used to go and watch Rotherham when we lived nearby.
He would come home and announce "WE won", or, more often, "THEY lost". What loyalty.
Anyway, I'm about to be warned for going off topic so better stop. Tongue
Alecto
Grafter

Back on topic:
I've just switched to ptn-ag2 and the P2P rate hasn't improved.
Craigiusmaximus
Grafter

well to be honest i get my fastest speeds through that gateway......

N/A

To find out what gateway you are on try here let me know how you get on

http://usertools.plus.net/@gateway/

Thanks. I'll take a look at that later.

But remember that if you're on Max, then rebooting the router several times will be interpreted as dropping connection and it will reduce your speed.

Is that a permanent drop in speed or does it go back up again after a periods of time?
Alecto
Grafter

It goes back, supposedly after three days or so.
The idea behind max is that it is constantly adjusting speed to what your line can deal with at the time. Down adjustments are within hours of a "bad line" being detected, up adjustments can take 3 days.

For me at least, the upping and downing of stable rate works well.
It's normally 5Mb, but then will go up to 5.5 for a while, then perhaps drop to 5 for a couple of days, then back up.

So when it works, it's fine.

ps I rebooted my router three times yesterday till I got a ptn gateway, but left half an hour between reboots, and my stable rate didn't go down.
pps the ptn gateway was no better than the pte one.