cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Over Head Lines

N/A

Over Head Lines

My mate has told me that my "Over Head Lines" will most probably make my ADSL connection unstable and make me lose synch in the summer months when they heat up. Can any one give me a bit more info about this. He says it increases the Db's on the line and as im pretty much borderline i jsut wondered how much this would affect me.
Thanks in advance for any help you guys can give me.

Scupham
6 REPLIES
N/A

Over Head Lines

I thought the effect was quite the opposite, not only do you have the heat which gets rid of any dampness and possible shorting, it also expands the copper in the joints and makes the connections slightly tighter. The downside is that heat causes the cable to get slightly longer. But what ever the case bt's limits are set all year round, and they know how the cables perform so would have prefactored this in.
N/A

Over Head Lines

WOW !, Thanks mate. My friend is allways tryin to get upstage me in everythin, Stupid fool. Thanks for the info. Hopefully i wont get as many synch problems as him then coz last summer he sed he got loads with his wires underground. Ohwell we shall see in the summer months.
**Watiin for ticket to go throught then my ADSL should be here next Mon hopefully**
N/A

Over Head Lines

I'm served to a pole, then my line goes underground, was speaking to the engineer who was doing the isdn convert, said that although its damp underground its fairly constant and the cables are shielded etc, and the pole is fairly exposed at the top of a hill, he said it should matter much, but on marginal lines that can be the swinger sometimes, i managed to scrape through 0.7db under the limit for 1Mb, but have had no sync problems at all and my router has been connected for 24/7 for a month now.

So maybe he needs to check his setup filters/modem and maybe log a fault on his line with his isp.
N/A

Over Head Lines

ill tell him dat. Hopefully my line tests will turn out positive. **fingers crossed**
vic_newey
Grafter

Over Head Lines

we live in a semirural lane & the line comes pole to pole, only prob I ever had was during high winds when the line kept dropping & the phone was crackly when U listened.
Guess i should report this as a fault, sounds like a loose connection somewhere.
N/A

Over Head Lines

If its affecting your voice service you can report this directly through bt by dialling 151