cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Outlook outgoing mail box settings

N/A

I have just got my ADSL setup and have noticed that none of the emails I am trying to send from outlook are all sat in the out box...I know I must change my outgoing server but what is the setting?
7 REPLIES
N/A

Relay.plus.net is the outgoing mail server you should use.

When you say "have noticed that none of the emails I am trying to send from outlook are all sat in the out box." do you mean that when you send an email, it doesn't appear in the Outbox? This is perfectly normal - if an email is sent it is put in the "Sent Mail" folder. Only emails which can't be delivered at the time of sending are placed in the "Outbox".
Community Veteran

Relay.plus.net is the outgoing mail server you should use.

But you need to spell it relay.plus.net Not Relay.plus.net
N/A

I thought host names are case insensitive, so Relay.plus.net, Relay.Plus.Net, relay.plus.net, or any other mix, are all equally good.
N/A

I just sent an email using Relay.plus.net in Outlook Express and it worked perfectly. Relay is just an A record (which any of us could create for our own domains using the Domain Tool) which points to 212.159.11.46. And as A records are case insensitive, as task pointed out, it doesn't matter which you use, the record will still resolve Smiley

Personally I use 212.159.11.46, just in case my DNS foobars and I need to urgently send an email.
Community Veteran

Ok point taken.
I was just relating it to the customer support information that quotes it in lower case.
:roll:
N/A

Ah right, I only used capital for Relay because it was the beginning of a sentence Smiley
Simon_M
Grafter

The logic goes like this:
If the system is case insensitive, it doesn't matter what is used.
If the system is case sensitive, it will almost always require lower case.
The number of times upper case is required is tiny.

So if everyone is encouraged to use lower case throughout, that will minimise the failure rate.

Using the specific IP address avoids any DNS problems, but remember that if Plusnet change the name of the server (unlikely), they will tell everyone. If they move the server to a different IP address (quite possible), they won't tell anyone, they will just update the DNS records & your mail will stop working until you find out the new address & enter it. OK if you understand the situation, but not something to be encouraged for general use. Support will sometimes suggest using the IP address to try & isolate problems & I realise that one of my accounts is still set as 212.159.11.35 from just such an occasion.

It also circumvents the advantage of some forms of load balancing. There may be more than one IP address behind a name & the DNS server dishes them out on a round robin basis to share the load amongst them. 212.159.11.46 & 212.159.11.35 are both relay.plus.net